922 - is it ready now?

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
The thread on the new firmware update is interesting. I'm now eligible for a 922 at a discounted price, and I've always been interested in this receiver, so maybe the time is finally right to upgrade?

I currently have a 722K + OTA with an EHD. I have no real problems with the 722K, aside from the (very) rarely chopped off recording -- it's been very reliable. Is the 922 reliable now and mostly glitch free?

Jeff

P.S. - I have no interest in Google TV.

I have had the 922 since it came out and I personally love it. I have not had any issues with it so far. The Sling functionality is great as well, either on computer or iPhone.

If you are still hung on manual timers or Dish Pass you might want to wait.

If you do upgrade to the 922 take the OTA module out of the 722 to put in the 922.

Have had my 922 since June love it and now it has end support even better have PTA on it works great no issues..... Sling on android works great!!!!

If you do not record too many things at once it does well. I have not had issue with it losing programs in a while since I limited the number of recordings to 2 at a time.

Since 109 software came out the 922 is much better . It now has archiving to external hard drive support FINALLY. It can do manual and dish pass timers via remote access. As to recording more than two things at a time, I have been testing it all week since the new software came out and I have recorded three and even four things at a time and it worked. Last night I had 4 shows recording and it worked. I can also report that you now have learning remote control options now. You can program your remote control to do functions like the 722k can do . As to sling , it is still a touch and go thing . I usually have to sign in and out a couple of times to get my sling function to work on my computer. I don't have a cell phone any more so I can't comment. But I would say in conclusion that YES , the 922 is now ready if you want to upgrade.

I too am thinking about upgrading to the 922. My 722 had a hard drive failure, and so far the 2 replacements (refurbs) have both failed to download and install the firmware correctly. After running a check switch and starting the downloading process, they both end up in a never ending reboot cycle. I haven't talked to dish about the second one yet. I'm trying to decide whether I should push to get a 722k or 922. I've been reading threads since I got back to work, any body else have any opinions regarding the 922 vs 722(k)?

I too am thinking about upgrading to the 922. My 722 had a hard drive failure, and so far the 2 replacements (refurbs) have both failed to download and install the firmware correctly. After running a check switch and starting the downloading process, they both end up in a never ending reboot cycle. I haven't talked to dish about the second one yet. I'm trying to decide whether I should push to get a 722k or 922. I've been reading threads since I got back to work, any body else have any opinions regarding the 922 vs 722(k)?

Had the same problem with a replacement 722. Endless reboot cycle for several hours. Then it dawned on me and I unplugged the EHD and power button reboot and it came to life like nothing happened.

I would just point out that if you're using your 722 in dual mode, the 922 does not have a tv2 output. I've been holding off on getting one until the long promised sling adapter/catcher is released to provide a viable tv2 solution (in hd no less).

If you do upgrade to the 922 take the OTA module out of the 722 to put in the 922.

Does the 922 not come with the OTA module? If not, how much extra to get it? Been considering replacing my 622 with one, but definately want to keep OTA capability.

Just to make sure the EHD features work.

1. Can you move recordings to and from the the EHD on the 922?
2. Can you connect an EHD from another DVR(in this case a 722) to the 922 and watch or transfer the recordings?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)