922 is really not a bad receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
SIX replacements in less than a year?????? Boy you are a glutton for punishment. If that doesn't convince you to drop the 922 and upgrade to a hopper nothing will.

I will NEVER upgrade to a Hopper, period! It is a matter of costs. I can honestly say for those that feel that it must be something wrong with my set up, I would tell you that prior to my purchasing a 922, I had a 722K and 211 for many years without any problems. Each of the replaced units have each had something different go wrong with them. One was recording things on its own. Just walk into the room and see that it is recording when it was not set to record anything. It would not be so bad if it actually would have been recording something interesting, but generally it was never was. One unit recorded programs and when I went to watch the program I could not find them, the hard drive showed that there was something on it, 5% full for instance, but the programs would not display, so that one went back. Then one unit was replaced because tech support contacted me and told me the unit (after 6 months) was about to fail. Another unit froze on the GUIDE SCREEN and would not return to normal even after many attempts to reboot it. Then one unit continually dropped audio and pixelated, a new LNBF was installed and that was found NOT to be the problem and the unit replaced. So you see, I have come to accept the 922's fault. I have NEVER been asked to spend a dime on any replacement and I have had a new receiver on my door step within a couple days. Sure I had to drop off the outgoing unit at the UPS Store, but that is only a couple of blocks away from me. Besides, I see almost as many folks complaining about the HOPPER having its own problems and I am sure while it is the most cutting edge tech but I just DO NOT need cutting edge.

Just got a call from one of my friends who's also a dish customer for many years. He also had a 922 receiver that had given him no problems for the many years he had it. He now wishes that he had not gone to the hopper system. In the six months he had it he had so many problems,replaced hopper twice and problems still continues. Had to laugh whe he said the hopper is a P.O.S. I was there when the first hopper he had suffered a hard drive failure, and it was only a month old, i thought it was funny,he didnt.

sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Last edited:
I wonder which DISH receivers are Linux and which aren't? Are all their modern DVRs Linux now? Certainly the 922 seems like Linux because it takes so long to start up...
You think because it's slow to boot-up, it's Linux based ? It could be as simple as Dish forcing it to do an fsck on every boot on a huge HDD (I think you'll find most Linux devs say it's not necessary, if in fact they're doing that).

Does Dish publish the source code to their modified version of the kernel anymore ? I know they used to.

According to this page, https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer/issues/159, the Hoppers and Joeys are Linux based. The Hopper was an evolution of the 922, was it not ?

Last edited:
I think that anecdotal experiences don't necessarily reflect on the quality of the hardware. People are going to complain on sites like this more than they're going to report that everything's peachy. Hardware-wise, none of my Dish receivers have ever failed me (5 Hoppers, 2 Joeys, 3 722ks, 1 625, 2 322s.) If anything it's the software that needs improvement.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Im amazed that nothing went wrong with my 922 when it received a software update a few weeks back. We all know that can be shaky when that happens.

sent from my HTC EVO 3D

You think because it's slow to boot-up, it's Linux based ? It could be as simple as Dish forcing it to do an fsck on every boot on a huge HDD (I think you'll find most Linux devs say it's not necessary, if in fact they're doing that).

It's slow when compared to the 301 and 501 that I remember using years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)