922 loud fan and black screen

brinack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I woke up this morning to the fan screaming and a dead receiver. I pulled the plug and it rebooted fine. Ran for about 10 minutes and then died again. I rinsed and repeated several times with the same outcome.

Anyone find why the 922's are doing this. I have a 94% full HD of recordings I dont want to lose. Anyone have any luck transferring these to backup even after it black screens and the fan starts screeching. I am assuming this thing died for some reason. It is set in a great spot for cooling and has run with no hiccups for along time. It makes no sense on why it just went poof!!!

Any ideas or suggestions on getting the recordings would help. Anyone ever had any luck getting the recordings directly from the HD?????????

Sounds like you are out of luck. I have started moving stuff off the HD to EHDs as soon as I can so this does not happen.

Welcome to my world. Sorry dude. Your 922 is done. You can try to transfer over your recordings while its working but the window during which the unit runs seems to get shorter and shorter. When I started transfering stuff I had about 10 minutes to work with. By the time I gave up, I had about 2. Forget about transfering anything you recorded in HD, you just don't have the 12+ minutes needed.

As to why it died, who knows. I had mine in a great location and in the nearly 2 years that I've owned it, its worked pretty well. Honestly I think the latest software update had something to do with it. For so many people to suffer the same fate at the same time, is more then just coincidence.

Of course they will send you out a replacement 922 but one guy on here already had the same problem and my replacement has already ignored a timer and it appears as though with only 5 one hour hd programs on it, my hard drive is 216% full. So good luck.

I had it replaced today..........lost all my recordings grrrrrrrrrrr. I am one month away from being out of contract. Not sure what is out right now for dish or direct but whatever it is, reliability is a must..........this was the 3rd time I had issues in 2 years. Dont want to do this again.

I had it replaced today..........lost all my recordings grrrrrrrrrrr. I am one month away from being out of contract. Not sure what is out right now for dish or direct but whatever it is, reliability is a must..........this was the 3rd time I had issues in 2 years. Dont want to do this again.

I hear you and I find myself in the same situation. My contract ends in a month as well. You pay extra money for a top receiver and then it just craps out. What goods is external back up when it can just die like that. I will say that I like the fact that with a Hopper/Joey combo you get DVR controls on live tv in every room. Direct's whole home dvr doesn't do that. I've gotten used to multiple DVRs and using them on live tv.

For those waiting for the end of their 2-year contract to end before upgrading: I had no problems upgrading to Hopper from a 922 that was only a few months into a new contract. Upgrade was $100 - same as most others. Dish simply extends your contract for two more years or resets the end of the contract to todays date I'm not sure which. (Can't tell from my account.) Chat, call or PM a DIRT member and they can provide your current options.

May be heat... ?

Mine died couple of days back, with reboots every 10-mins. Had quite a bit of content in the dvr. Called dish, and getting a replacement. But meanwhile, needed to get content out to EHD, and watch tv until replacement arrives. Blowing air at the bottom of the receiver seems to be working for me(see attached photo).
IMG_1206.jpg

Mine did the exact same thing this morning. Loud fan and blank screen. Would not reboot by the button and did not have time to unplug it. I guess its bye bye recordings and hello hopper and joeys.

Just got home and unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. It restarted but like someone said above 10 minutes later loud fan noise and blank screen. Funny how this is happening to multiple subs at the same time. It is like they are forcing us to abandon the 922 and get the hopper.

Just got home and unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. It restarted but like someone said above 10 minutes later loud fan noise and blank screen. Funny how this is happening to multiple subs at the same time. It is like they are forcing us to abandon the 922 and get the hopper.

If you carry the Dish Service Plan on your account they have to replace it with another 922,they have got extras now.:)

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and ordered the hopper through Mary B who was very helpfully. I do have the protection plan but it made no sense to get another dead end receiver.

Yeah it is odd how its happening to multiple subs at the same time. If they are forcing us to abandon the 922, they are actually doing us a favor. I just had my install yesterday and I absolutely love it. Granted it hasn't done anything stupid yet but even if it does, I'm happy with everything from the new look guide, better picture quality over the 722, the smaller footprint, and everything else about it. Dish needs to let everyone know about this thing. And while they are at it, GET BACK RSNs in NY TOO!!!

The same issue started happening with my 922 just two days ago. Have had it since the week they were released with not one issue until this. I vacuumed out every grill on the case to ensure that no airflow was being blocked, but that wasn't enough. I now have my 922 up on two 2x4s and have a fan blowing underneath it. As long as the fan is blowing, I can watch as long as I want. Turn the fan off and the dvr shuts down after 10-30 mins. So I am using that time to move everything to an EHD. I ordered a replacement 922, but should I have ordered a hopper? Is the replacement 922 just going to have the same problems? New 922 is due to arrive on May 11. I'll re-post a few days later, after I see what's up with the new one.

The same issue started happening with my 922 just two days ago. Have had it since the week they were released with not one issue until this. I vacuumed out every grill on the case to ensure that no airflow was being blocked, but that wasn't enough. I now have my 922 up on two 2x4s and have a fan blowing underneath it. As long as the fan is blowing, I can watch as long as I want. Turn the fan off and the dvr shuts down after 10-30 mins. So I am using that time to move everything to an EHD. I ordered a replacement 922, but should I have ordered a hopper? Is the replacement 922 just going to have the same problems? New 922 is due to arrive on May 11. I'll re-post a few days later, after I see what's up with the new one.

I would of went with the Hopper. Its worth it. When my 922 bit the bullet just like yours, I was done with it. All I kept thinking is that any unit they send me is just on borrowed time. If you miss the Sling capability then just add the adapter for $30. Its well worth it. You certainly won't regret your decision.

You can add me to the 922 casualty list. Same issue here, loud fan and no picture. They sent me a replacement last week, it worked for about 3 days. I went to hook up the external drive, all I did was move the box a few inches to get behind it and it went dead. No fan, no power, just dead. They are sending me another replacement, 2nd one in 2 weeks.

- If I do opt for the Hopper, will I need a service call to come out and rewire?

- Or can I just plug it in the same as my current 922 setup?

- Also what will happen to my two 211's, will those have to go away if I get a Hopper?

Pinchhitter said:
You can add me to the 922 casualty list. Same issue here, loud fan and no picture. They sent me a replacement last week, it worked for about 3 days. I went to hook up the external drive, all I did was move the box a few inches to get behind it and it went dead. No fan, no power, just dead. They are sending me another replacement, 2nd one in 2 weeks.

- If I do opt for the Hopper, will I need a service call to come out and rewire?

- Or can I just plug it in the same as my current 922 setup?

- Also what will happen to my two 211's, will those have to go away if I get a Hopper?

Yes, you will need a service call. As for you two 211's, they will go away. Dish doesn't allow Hopper/Joey combos with other receivers on the same account. Not sure why but that's the rule. Also if you connected an ehd to them, those recordings won't work with the Hopper/Joey setup. Despite this, it's totally worth doing.

922 planned obsolescence: send a signal to the 922 to shut it down or make it overheat to coax people to upgrade to the Hopper. :D

j/k

I had this same problem around Jan. of this year. I didn't know about the fan solution, but found that if I disconnected the Sat. coax cable I could run the receiver as long as I needed to move all of my recordings to an EHD, no problem. Of course, without the Sat. coax, no signal and no new programming, but when I got my replacement receiver all was good.

I had this same problem around Jan. of this year. I didn't know about the fan solution, but found that if I disconnected the Sat. coax cable I could run the receiver as long as I needed to move all of my recordings to an EHD, no problem. Of course, without the Sat. coax, no signal and no new programming, but when I got my replacement receiver all was good.

i removed the sat connections and all i get is an error about the hdd activation, did you disconnect the sat after it reboots and after it detected the sat signal and receive programming?

Last edited: