922 Price decrease for upgrades

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Looks like Dish is still supporting the 922 and allowing upgrades to it. The price has been lowered for customers that want to upgrade to it. Not sure how many people would be interested in it now that the Hopper is out but thought this was worth sharing.

A while back when the upgrades were free for folks, I was quoted $200 for a single 922. Now that H/J are out, I was quoted $200 for 2H/2J. Very glad I didn't go for the 922, getting 2H/2J tomorrow to replace my 722Ks.

I'm guessing they lowered the 922 to $100? Wait they're offering 922s again? Did they ever get BB@H fixed on it? I would think so seeing as H/J use similar software and have it.

When did the 922 become available again? And what is the upgrade fee? Is BB@Home still not available? Is there still a $10 monthly fee with this unit? If the answer to either of those last two questions is yes, then Dish should offer it as a free upgrade. Especially since the Sling Adaptor can be added for only $30 (with no extra monthly fee).

For most people the fee will be $0 plus the tech visit fee. For the unlucky few it is $100 plus the tech visit fee.

I thought it was being "phased out" and would only go out the door as a replacement or a purchase. Did Dish formally announce a policy change?

I never recall it ever being a policy that they would no longer use the 922. We received an email today saying that the pricing for 992 upgrades was being decreased and that's about it.

They must have a boatload of these 922 from people who upgraded to the Hooper and need to do something with them.

Last edited:
I never recall it ever being a policy that they would no longer use the 922. We received an email today saying that the pricing for 992 upgrades was being decreased and that's about it.
Yes, it was posted by Scott G & then some DIRT. Hmmmm. Sounds like somebody is rethinking taking a loss on those ViP922s. Might not be a good idea for customer retention if it just angers people who later learn of the H/J system and would have preferred that. OTOH, for a single receiver household, it might be just the ticket, if they bring it up to date and support it. Surely not worth building more, but it might be reasonable to get a few more years of life out of it.

I still think Dish should consider allowing a single ViP211 series or ViP922 on an H/J account. Might not be a completely "pure" whole home DVR, but it offers interesting possibilities. The ViP so assigned could test for the presence of a Hopper or a Tailgater to hinder stacking. The ViP922 might well be able to be programmed to be a full partner in the home network.

We have not received any updates about the ViP922 being available as a leased upgrade option. You can still purchase the ViP922, and the purchase price did drop from $649 to $599.

Yeah, I don't remember seeing any announcement of upgrades to the 922 being available in Dish computers again. But they always claimed they were going to add BB@home and then re-release it. Now where's that automated software version list?

Edited to add: EKB: ViP922 Software History is still showing S116 from Jan 20. I see the Hopper is still showing S207, so maybe it's not so automated as I thought.

Last edited:
Why would Dish send retailers a notice saying there is a price drop for us and a price drop for customers to upgrade to?

some things never change dish is still just as STUPID as they always ARE. why would i buy a 922 from dish for 599? when i can get a 922 open box reman from dishstore for 399. we all know the 922 dish sells are remans. Unknown if dish will admit this.

Why would I buy a 922 for $599, $499, $399, $299, when I can get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys for $200? Can't wait for my install tomorrow (yes, that was a rhetorical question.)

Why would Dish send retailers a notice saying there is a price drop for us and a price drop for customers to upgrade to?

Maybe it's a slow rollout for retailers first? Possibly trying to get rid of surplus on a small scale, possibly won't be making anymore 922s?

Wow, so now I can get a 922 for $599 instead of paying upwards of $800 for a Hopper/Joey system! :rolleyes:

I very much doubt any ViP922s have been made for quite some months now. They no doubt saw problems and knew the H/J would arrive eventually anyway.

You do realize to can add Sling functionality to the Hopper with the $30 Sling Adapter...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Or in my case I'll be using my Sling Adapter that was FREE :D .

correct i realize that but 3halo asked why anyone would want a 922 over hopper, theres the reason intergrated slingbox on 922

I guess, but why not just get Hopper/Joey for $100 + the $30 adapter rather than a $599 (or even $399) 922?

I guess, but why not just get Hopper/Joey for $100 + the $30 adapter rather than a $599 (or even $399) 922?

A little apples and oranges mixing here. $100 is the lease price for a Hopper and $599 is the price to buy a 922. Someone quoted $0 for an upgrade for a 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)