922 Question...

how many hours of HD storage will be on the new 922?

This is almost impossible to answer since it depends on whether you are recording MPEG2 OTA or MPEG4 from the satellite and of course the hard disk size. I would think the disk size would be at least as large as the 722k, if not larger. Scott should get some details at Team Summit today and tomorrow.

OTA is 8.5gb per hour, and the 722 is rated at 55 hours of storage. This works out to a disk size of at least 500 gb. The 625 only used a little over half of it's 250 gb disk for recording. This means that the 722 has a disk of 750 gb? It's known that the 922 has a full 1 tb disk, and I doubt that there are 250 gb worth of new features, so the 922 should clock in at between 73 and 88 hours of recording time. As Stated Above, satellite programming is WAY smaller than OTA, so you can actually fit far more than that.

OTA is 8.5gb per hour, and the 722 is rated at 55 hours of storage. This works out to a disk size of at least 500 gb. The 625 only used a little over half of it's 250 gb disk for recording. This means that the 722 has a disk of 750 gb? It's known that the 922 has a full 1 tb disk, and I doubt that there are 250 gb worth of new features, so the 922 should clock in at between 73 and 88 hours of recording time. As Stated Above, satellite programming is WAY smaller than OTA, so you can actually fit far more than that.

I doubt it's "new features" that would take up that disk space; it's more likely to be taken up with VOD.

I agree with lakebum431. There won't be substantially more recording time on the 922.

Besides, with external hard drives now supported, isn't the recording time becoming a less important feature?

If I spend $200 for the privilege of leasing a new unit with a guide and remote that I'm not going to like, and then I have to spend $40 to enable a feature that allows me to spend another $200 on additional storage, I'll be disappointed.

The VOD space shouldn't be much if any more than the 722/k already have, which is substantial. Seriously, I don't see the draw of $8 VOD rentals when I live in a town less than two miles from two Blockbuster locations...three VOD-HD rentals costs more than a Netflix+Blu subscription.

If I spend $200 for the privilege of leasing a new unit with a guide and remote that I'm not going to like, and then I have to spend $40 to enable a feature that allows me to spend another $200 on additional storage, I'll be disappointed.

The VOD space shouldn't be much if any more than the 722/k already have, which is substantial. Seriously, I don't see the draw of $8 VOD rentals when I live in a town less than two miles from two Blockbuster locations...three VOD-HD rentals costs more than a Netflix+Blu subscription.

Then prepare to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more VOD 1080p movies pushed to the receivers. That is going to take a lot of drive space. The $40 is per account and storage is pretty cheap these days. I obviously don't know anything, but this is my best guess.

You'll want the EHD feature anyway so you can keep your recordings when you swap receivers.

The extra HDD space will be taken up by VOD. At CES they said the user would get 500GB of the 1TB, but also that the size of the partitions could be changed before it is released.

I have another question about the 922. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread.

I am wondering how the browser will work on the 922. I see from pictures in other threads that it can get to Google and CNN and other sites. Will it be able to play Youtube videos on the TV screen? I know that some sites need certain plugins to function, like Flash, etc. Will we be able to install the plugins for the 922 browser or will it be restricted to sites that are more 'vanilla'?