922 Sling Setup Instructions

I also notice that on dish access my sling does not work properly it wont let me go to the remote or watch it in full screen. it is very buggy. it is a hit or miss type ting if it works or not.

since sling and recording share tv2, is it not possible to watch a show that is being recorded via slingbox?

funny enough, this works today and i am able to watch a show that is being recorded via sling....

guess they are still working out the bugs...

Yes on the system information screen on the 922 is your Sling password...

But try the password admin for now, that should get you in for now. :)

password admin doesn't work for me in getting the iphone to work. i looked in the sys info screen and couldn't find the sling password details page just says "status:good" and on page 1 or 2 i can't find it. is it under a different name?

nvrmind, i found the other sys info page by hitting the menu button twice, oddly the password didn't work for some reason

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info in this thread!!! I was going insane trying to get this to work. Had the 922 installed yesterday and all the regular functions working fine, but the Sling on iPhone was giving me fits.

I made sure everything is working by going to your account on the Dish network page. I could go in, change channels, setup the DVR to add/edit events, see schedules, even watch live TV via the webpage, after insatll a few IE/Firefox entensions. If you watch Live TV from the web page it does come up with a password, I hit enter to try again and it works fine.

Went to slingaccounts.slingmedia.com to amke sure that was setup, and it did have the box listed, not much else to the site to be honest.

Well after setting all the password oon my dish and sling account to what it shows on the System Information page, still not working. Tried various things on my DSL Router and wireless, even went so far as to set the 922 on the DMZ to make sure its not a problems with filtering or ports.

In the end, after reading all your excellent posts, I realized when the sling player switches from Dish mode to the actual sling mode and asks for a password, just type "admin" and its working. Very nice, now to figure out where the problem is, since many others have the setup without having to do anything unusual.

Thanks again for all the info everyone!

I cannot get the Sling on my 922 to work even after going through all of the nonsense with Dish phone tech helps. This stinks and Dish refuses to get me a new 922 since I feel the one I have is busted. Clue i cannot get Dish interactive.

My dish remote online works not dish sling. I have noticed that it says firmware for the Sling is 0-0-0

Is this right or does it mean that I do not have the firmware for Dish Sling?

I've had no problems watching on my iphone despite a relatively slow internet connection (1.0 down/up to 500mbs up). My one issue however is that whenever I select a program to view it switches the channel on the 922.

Here is how to setup and use the built in Slingbox on the 922. :)

Thanks for the guide. But like everything else Dish Network has been doing to develop, release and "support" the VIP922, it is superficial and incomplete.

Does the Sling circuitry support:

• Slingcatcher
  • Slingplayer 2.x Windows
  • Slingplayer 1.x Windows
  • Slingplayer 1.x Mac
Also:

• Does the Sling circuit answer to port 5001 as all standalone Slingboxes were designed to do?
  • Is it possible to use direct IP access the way all standalone Slingboxes do?
I am eager to know-- especially for use with the Slingcatcher + bedroom TV

There is a sling id number on system info screen that you need ( and password )

To find your Sling ID number (it used to be called the "finder ID"):

• [On remote] Click twice on Menu.
    The Sling ID and password appear in the lower left of the screen.
I will be interested to know if that solves your problem.

where is this sling ID and password - have looked everyone in the system info screen and no luck...

edit: found it on the front panel but it does not work. it says you must go to dish.sling.com in order for it to work.

is there no way to use the native sling client?

• [On remote] Click on Menu twice.
    The ID and pw are on the lower left.
Please let me know if you get this working. I am trying to get my Slingcatcher going. (Also Slingplayers on Mac and PC.)

No.. Like I mentioned in my review, the have blocked you from watching your 922 using the desktop Slingplayer software. (which I think is STUPID!)

The funny thing is if you can find an old version of the Slingplayer software you can watch the 922 just fine... they are intentionally making people watch via their website when it is not necessary or needed. (And if the website is broken like it appears to be now, you can't watch your 922 on your mac or PC.

We need to rally together to allow us to watch our 922's via the Slingbox software! Dish Network's website is not reliable at all at this point.

• Yikes! I cannot believe they would do something so stupid!
    I use a Slingcatcher to watch TV in the bedroom.
    Why didn't they tell me about all the limitations?
    (Is it maybe because they released the product without completing it?)
  • What old versions of the player will work? I have both Mac and Windows.
  • How should we make our opinions known?

slingcatcher & 922

• [On remote] Click on Menu twice.
    The ID and pw are on the lower left.
Please let me know if you get this working. I am trying to get my Slingcatcher going. (Also Slingplayers on Mac and PC.)

Did anyone get this working? My 922 gets installed next week my whole purpose of getting it is to leave it in my house in the US and access it with my slingcatcher in Germany. If it doesn't work, if someone could tell me now so I can cancel the order (hopefully) and get a solo or pro instead with my current receiver.

Please reply with a success or fail report on the slingcatcher with 922!

Nail13

It is official that the 922 won't work with the Slingcatcher.

Worse yet there seems to be ahigh defect rate for Dish DVRs. Particularly the 922. But a standalone Slingbox is reliable. If I had an ideal technical choice I would have a TiVo in conjunction with cable.

Thank you very much I will cancel my 922 order right away! I ordered from the local shop in and I haven't signed anything yet. How do you know it is official?

I'm thinking I can still get a slingbox pro for my 722 and that will work fine!

How do you know it is official?

Multiple sources:

- Dish support (both first person I spoke to and then his supervisor-- I just could not believe that they had the audacity to market the product as "slingloaded" but not make sure it worked with their full line of Sling hardware)

- The forums

I'm thinking I can still get a slingbox pro for my 722 and that will work fine!

I was using a 722 with a Slingbox classic. As long as you make sure to secure the IR blaster firmly to the DVR you will be fine.

But I must tell you I am a disgruntled customer-- everyone in the household has reasons for wanting to cancel. I had my first 722 die after 9 months. No issue there-- but then they sent me 3 refurb replacements in a row. None seemed to have been properly QA'd before being sent out to victims (me and other helpless customers).

Then the 922 debacle. Check the forums here. I have owned the following DVR's:

ReplayTV, DirecTiVO, DirectTV DVR, standalone TIVO.

NONE OF THEM has had the high defective rates (based not only on personal experience but largely from customer forums like this one).

I don't think Echostar has very high opinions of consumers. And we will be leaving them as soon as possible. (Most likely when/if DirecTV finally starts offering the long awaited HD DirecTiVo.)

I owned a 622 for almost 4 years with virtually no problems. I also own a 922 since the day it was released and the box has been near flawless as well.

Do you have REAL numbers to back up your claims of high defect rates on dish DVRs? Simply going by a few posts on an internet forum is hardly a scientific and accurate way of determining widespread problems for a consumer electronics product.

I owned a 622 for almost 4 years with virtually no problems. I also own a 922 since the day it was released and the box has been near flawless as well.

Do you have REAL numbers to back up your claims of high defect rates on dish DVRs? Simply going by a few posts on an internet forum is hardly a scientific and accurate way of determining widespread problems for a consumer electronics product.

My 922 is working fine after 11 days and six days after installation of the MT2 module for OTA local channels. I can watch on my laptop anywhere inn the house. I don't know how many dissatisfied 922 customers there are but for me, so far so good. It's doing everything I wanted.

HELP! I have had my 922 with sling for 4 months. I am very frustrated. I have had intermittent ability to connect to the slingbox DVR or live TV. Probably about 10% of the time it works. I have been testing using a fixed wired internet, wireless intranet, 3G wireless, and internet. When 1 works they all work when it doesn't work none work. I have configured and reconfigured my network going from 2 routers to 1 router and a switch. No manner of reconfiguration, rebooting, refreshing IP's makes a difference. Even when connected directly to the switch no luck. At present, I have the first router assigning a static IP to the slingbox and I am port forwarding directly to it using both UDP and TCP.

I find the dish network web site very poorly organized. There are a few resources that are helpful, but they are deeply buried on the web site and seem to be left over from pre-sling/dish merger work resting on the sling site. I have been on the support line twice. The best that I have found is the following... Sling Media Support - Setting up remote viewing when you have multiple routers but still to no avail.

What am I missing? Is this the right forum and thread to find help? Is there a better source of self help and trouble shooting?

Thanks Much in advance. jmichaelkramer@gmail.com

not sure this is the place to post. just bought a VIP922 from a dealer in Kansas. it was only one around he told me it was a show room model. well getting set up I'm trying to access the unit via the dishplayer app. it keeps telling me i need a admin password. I did the two menu push but see no password. went to sling player sight tried registering but it tell me it can't find my player. I've been trying for two days even had dish support out. the guy was clueless he said he's heard of these units but never seen one so no help. any have one have any more ideas. also do I buy the 30$ app or is the dishplayer what I need. thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)