This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

942 and RGB

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I currently receive subscription programming using a C/KU BUD (922 4dtv and HDD 201). I am thinking of moving to Dish and a 942. I have an older HD monitor (RCA MM36100). The HD input is via a 15 pin SVGA connector. The component input on the RCA is 480i only. From what I can tell, the 942 does not have an RGB output. Does Dish provide a transcoder to connect the 942 to older HD sets like mine?

I'd hate to switch to Dish and the 942 and find out that I need to buy a new HDTV or an $850 Extron CVC 200 transcoder in order to get it to work properly.

I have an Infocus X1 also. The vesa adapter will work to connect the 942 to the X1, but not the RCA MM36100.

I alo have one and use the component out to the RCA's HD input. I use a rather low cost adapter that I found on ebay, a RGB to HD analog VGA adapter, mainly made for z boxes to VGA inputs.

All you need is a cable

photoman76, my setup is similar to yours -- a 942 HD receiver with and older HD monitor with what you called an SVGA connector on it. The connector on your set is probably an HD15 (fifteen pins arranged in three rows), which is different from an SVGA or DB15 connector (fifteen pins arranged in two rows).
No need for an expensive transcoder, you just need a component to HD15 cable. You could then use the 942's component outputs to feed your monitor through the HD15 connection.
I got my cable from Cabletogo.com. This is the link for the page with the cable you need (http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=2028).
The one you want is the SONICWAVE™ RCA TYPE COMPONENT VIDEO TO HD15 VGA BREAKOUT CABLE. Various lengths are available.
Before you order the cable, go this page (http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/db.asp?) on the Cablestogo website and make sure that your connector is an HD15 and not something else.
These guys can also do custom cabling depending on your requirements. If you have any questions, just call their 800 number. Their customer service was good and I saved about $50 over what I would have spent buying a cable of the same quality from Best Buy or another local retailer.
Hope this helps.

The 921 has RGB using the DVI-I connector. You'd need a DVI to VGA converter or DVI-I to RGB doggle. But the 942 just has digital output thru HDMI or DVI-D. Maybe there's a box that converts component to RGB?

What brand is you older HD monitor? It appears that this cable works for some brands, but not others. I am trying to determine if it would work with my Loewe Aconda before I buy the cable. Appreciate any help.

Thanks for the input. The place I buy my cables have really great prices, including for this hd-15 to RCA components cable for only $6.79: http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2239

I've got a Loewe Aconda also

rdinkel, I've got a Loewe Aconda also. It's an older 30" model. Is the component to RGB cable not working for you?

maljabir said:
rdinkel, I've got a Loewe Aconda also. It's an older 30" model. Is the component to RGB cable not working for you?

I have not tried it. I have the cable on order. I have been driving my 38" Aconda via the VGA/RGB cable between 6000u and TV. But since I plan on updating to a vip211 that does not have that connection available, I have been looking into my options.

Let me know how it goes

Let me know hot it works out for you (with both receivers).

maljabir said:
Let me know hot it works out for you (with both receivers).

Today I switched to straight component video instead of the VGA/RGB connection I had been using, and the picture seems to look better. The only drawback is that with only one component input for the tv, I am now driving the DVD player off of S-video instead of component.

What I use is called a "Component to VGA" box and I found them new on ebay. Input is T Pr Pb and output is VGA. It had auto selection for 480p, 720p and 1080i

One thing tho, at least my 36100 monitor, uses this input for sync even if other inputs are used (analog tv, dvd, etc) and I must remove power from this to view a vcr or dvd. There are dip switches on this that might fix it, but I haven't played with it. I did try turing off the 811 to see if the sync would go, but it didn't. Just changed frequency of the out of lock horizontal. This unit also has a pot to center horizontal and I am all the way clockwise to get close to center.

It'll do for another 6 months to when I get a real hdtv.

Forced to get a scan converter

rdinkel, I was wrong about just needing the cable. My Aconda crapped out the day before my 942 arrived, so I used an old SD TV to set up and activate the 942. Well, the Aconda came back today and guess what, NO SYNC!!! Bunch of wavy green lines. So, it seems that the Acondas are expecting a VGA signal, maybe that's why the manual says you can hook up a PC directly to the TV (duh!). I ordered a Key Digital Systems KD-CTCA3 transcoder from Copperbox.com and it should be here on Friday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope that I get a decent picture, otherwise I'm selling the Aconda and looking for a new set.

Ah, Copperbox. Just down the road from here. I've ordered over the phone but never walked into the place. Did you send a Possum and get a discount?

Thanks for the heads up! I will probably just run the DVD via s-video and save the components for the satellite receiver input. That said, what are you having to pay for the transcoder?

Price on transcoder

The price on the transcoder was $299. It was the one recommended by the service center contracted by Loewe to do their repair work. The guy was literally reading something off his computer screen with the info. I did get free FedEx ground shipping and I didn't even have to send in a possum!