942 blackout problems?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Lately it seems that when I watch OTA locals or just my normal locals that I am getting a black screen but I can hear the show just fine. Is anyone else experiencing this? The problem goes away if I unplug the 942 and then plug it back in. Anyone else know of any solutions without unplugging and replugging it in again? I tried just powering it off but that didn't work.

It's a bug. It happens to me quite often - I saw it called out as a bug on one of the other threads. You don't need to unplug it, just hold the reset button for 5 seconds and it'll come back.

I've had this happen the last couple of nights.

Sometimes just turning it on and off with the remote fixes it, other times I have to hold down the power button on the front of the reciever.

Ok, thanks guys. I thought it was just me. I an new to Dish so I didn't even know that I could hold down the power button to get it to reset. I am glad someone told me this as it isn't easy getting behind my 51" Sony everytime. I will have to try this.

Actually now that I think about it, I don't think my problems are the same as yours.

For me, When the screen goes black, it will sit there for awhile, then a screen comes up saying that it is searching for the satellite's. It sits in that screen for a while, then an error screen comes up saying that there is a problem with a switch. If I run the switch test, it says they are all fine. Then I can either turn it off, or reset it, and it works again. This was only happening on OTA channels, but it did it twice last night on SAT channels.

Is there a problem with one of my switches, and should I contact Dish about it?

My 811 developed this problem about two weeks ago. I susupect that it's a bug in the new software. I discovered that I can get the picture back if I use the guide. Just use the guide to tune in the program, and you'll get a picture. My guide is configured to provide a small window to view the program ... and that might be necessary in order for this "trick" to work.

Thanks for that tip 7720Driver. I will have to try that too. That beats having to reset it everytime.

RobertsD said:
Actually now that I think about it, I don't think my problems are the same as yours.

I have experienced both versions of the problem that RobertsD and Scott describe, but especially Scott's version in the last 2-3 weeks. I have had to go with the soft reset (holding in the power button to get it to reset). I have tried using the guide to tune to another channel, etc, but with no luck.

I have found that even though what I am watching on the screen I can no longer see, if I have a recording going, it continues to record right up to the time I reset my 942. In other words, it still "sees" the picture even though I can't. Certainly seems like a bug... wish they would fix it! :)

KeithInDallas said:
I have found that even though what I am watching on the screen I can no longer see, if I have a recording going, it continues to record right up to the time I reset my 942. In other words, it still "sees" the picture even though I can't. Certainly seems like a bug... wish they would fix it! :)
Yeah, same with my 942. When the problem happens, it continues recording, and when I play it back, there is no point in which the screen is black.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts