942 Caller ID problem - Still

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
Time to dust this one off again...

I have been having problems with the callerID feature on my 942 for quite a while. I seem to remember it working when I first got it but after the last two SW releases it hasn't worked worth a damn. It only displays after 5 rings after the answering machine picks up. Caller ID works on every other phone in the house and my 510 upstairs, also works on my media center. I have tried reboots, unplugging and a different phone jack without success. I thought I would post here one more time before I call tech support and get even more frustrated.

Any ideas?

That is one thing I don't understand how we all have the same software and some people have issues and others not with the same hardware. Is there minor changes made in the hardware as they manufacture these boxes or what?

I can understand people having various OTA and PG issues, but CallerID? Mine has worked perfectly for the past 5 months: pop-up screen appears on the 2nd ring without fail. Very strange. May have something to do with voltage levels? Perhaps someone can trying plugging into or bypassing an RJ-11 jack on a surge suppressor.

Yep, mine works perfect, always comes up on the 2nd ring. It is strange that different people have such different results.

riffjim4069 said:
I can understand people having various OTA and PG issues, but CallerID? Mine has worked perfectly for the past 5 months: pop-up screen appears on the 2nd ring without fail. Very strange. May have something to do with voltage levels? Perhaps someone can trying plugging into or bypassing an RJ-11 jack on a surge suppressor.

Tried that as mine does go through a surge supressor/noise filter. I ran a line to another unprotected jack with no change in the outcome. :confused:

I wonder if, since you mentioned voltage levels, that it may relate to how many devices you have on your line. Maybe there is not enough signal left to trigger the caller ID function. I may try unplugging a few items to see if that makes a difference. Any telephone techs care to chime in???

tawhite said:
Time to dust this one off again...

I have been having problems with the callerID feature on my 942 for quite a while. I seem to remember it working when I first got it but after the last two SW releases it hasn't worked worth a damn. ...

Likely of no help to you, but my wife added a leased 942 to our two existing (owned) 508's. All worked perfectly. Two weeks later Verizon installed their Fios fiber optic system to both provide our high speed Internet (5Mbps / 2Mbps for $34.95/month :cool: ) Caller ID stopped working on those three receivers, but continued working on all other phones and an answering machine. There is no high frequency signal on our copper phone wires thus a trap or other filter will do nothing.

Mysteriously, after a month the 942 Caller ID started to work just fine. Equally mysteriously, each of the 508's will display the Caller ID info one time only following me toggleing the Wireless or Not Wireless Option.

Dish and Verizon each claim it's not their problem. :D

For those that have working caller ID with a 942, how many devices do you have on your line?? Including phones, modems, satellite boxes, etc.

tawhite said:
For those that have working caller ID with a 942, how many devices do you have on your line?? Including phones, modems, satellite boxes, etc.

I have:
2 Dish Boxes - 942 and 322
1 TiVo
5 telephones (3 with caller ID)
1 DSL Modem

Caller ID works great every time.

After further testing, i.e. removing all devices from the phone line except the 942 it still didn't work. In fact I let it ring forever and it never kicked in. I think there is just a problem with this 942. :(

Verizon DSL line connections

2 - 942s
1 - DSL Modem
2 - wireless phones
3 - wired phones

942s Caller ID did not work at first. Now works on 2nd ring. Use 2 DSL filters in series for 942s

We have had two 522's, and the caller ID feature has never worked on either, even when we connect to the incoming phone line at the demarc box on the outside of the house. Three phones with caller ID have always worked OK. I guess we don't miss what we never had.

I have SBC phone service and DSL with them.

4- wireless phones (three have Caller ID)
1- Printer/fax modem
1- DSL modem
1- 625 receiver

Caller ID usually works for me, but at first it wouldn't work if I was recording something or if I had a timer set. It works about 80% of the time for me...and I love the feature.

With the release of L283 my Caller ID still does not work. It worked great with L229. I noticed I had an new entry in the ID history that came in when I was putting in our new phone/answering machine, line was hooked up to the 942 but not to the phone yet. I wonder if the line's have to much of a pull on them or what. All thats on the line is the phone/answering machine combo, 942, a wireless phone with caller id, and a dialup modem. I would love for this feature to work, it did on our 311 and it was a great feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)