942 Mad Scientist First Look! 942 Innards.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Today I took apart my 942. For the greater good of you all :) Upon First look I noticed many things.. "OHhhh and Ahhh" I said to my self, as I opened the case. Upon opening up the case I noticed no pci slots on the mother board of the 942. Keep in mind I have had this 942 since day one of release and things may have changed on the mother board configuration. I do have a new 942 coming in as this one is dead and do plan on cracking that one open to see if anything has changed :) Upon first look inside the 942 there was no smart card inside witch leaves me to believe that the smart cards are ran via software embedded into the 942. That is a very good security feature and will help curb piracy. The 942 uses a BCM4500 Chip set for its dual tuners, with one chip per tuner. Looking at broadcoms web sight here is a bit more into this chip set.

The BCM4500 is a single chip digital satellite receiver supporting QPSK, 8PSK and 16QAM modulations with iteratively (turbo) decoded error correction coding. It represents an industry milestone in terms of satellite system throughput and operating points. The BCM4500 also receives DVB, DIRECTV and Digichiper II (DCII) QPSK signals to support legacy system operation.

The BCM4500 contains dual 7-bit A/D converters, an all-digital variable rate BPSK / QPSK / 8PSK / 16QAM receiver, an advanced modulation turbo FEC decoder, and a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder. All required RAM is integrated and all required clocks are generated on chip from a single reference crystal. Baseband I/Q analog waveforms are sampled by the integrated 7-bit A/D converters, resampled by integrated interpolative digital filter banks, and filtered by dual square-root Nyquist filters. Optimized soft decisions are then fed into either a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder, or an advanced modulation turbo decoder. The final error-corrected output is delivered in MPEG-2 or DIRECTV transport format. The output clock is generated by an on-chip PLL for low jitter operation and glueless integration with Broadcom's BCM7020 HD graphics and video subsystem.The BCM4500 contains a microcontroller which implements a high level language interface for easy host software development. It also contains an integrated DiSEqCTM controller for two way communication with LNB.

SOURCE

This chip set can do digicipher II. This leaves that option open for dish security wise.

Looking into these chip sets it became apparent that this 942 can not do mpeg 4. This receiver would need to go back to the factory and have these chips replaced. The 942 Also uses another bradcom chip set as its main CPU GUI. That chip set is the Broadcom BCM7038. Here is a look at that chipset from broadcoms web sight

BCM7038
Dual High-Definition Digital Video System-on-Chip Solution for Cable, Satellite, and DTV
The BCM7038 is an advanced dual channel HD video/audio/graphics and personal video recording (PVR) chip that enables manufacturers to economically incorporate high-quality HDTV capability and PVR features into digital televisions, cable set-top boxes, satellite receivers and HD-DVD players. The chip's dual video/audio channels simultaneously support dual televisions, with independent picture-in-picture support on main and secondary. Advanced video and graphics features, such as on-chip 3D Y/C separation circuit multi-frame de-interlacing, and quad video scalars with single pass processing, significantly improve the HD picture quality, by removing unwanted noise and artifacts from the television image. The chip supports common PVR functions such as pausing live programming, recording, and forwarding and reversing through recorded programs, as well as incorporates software drivers to support industry standard PVR platforms, including TiVo® and XTV™.

The BCM7038 incorporates a 300 MHz 64-bit MIPS® CPU, along with floating point processor, which has a very fast path o 400 MHz DDR system memory to support the high-performance needs required by advanced applications. Numerous other cost saving features have been incorporated into the chip, enabling manufacturers to be more competitive in the HD market.

Source

Where have we seen XTV before?? It made me think... humm two different company's or is it a conspiracy :D I was also quite surprised at the fact that the hard drive uses SATA instead of IDE. This is a nice feature. Also it was quite apparent that dish does not want the hard drive to be mess with as there is a void warranty sticker if removed. I didn't want to mess with the hard drive to see how big it really is as this 942 has a date with dish :) One bad feature of the 942 is the Remote Anntena tuner. There was Nothing holding it up and could vary easily be broken if the 942 was somehow dropped during shipment. Over all the 942 looks well constructed and everything is well placed to disperse heat properly. I did not notice a fan on the 942 either. Here you all go this is what it looks like :)

Last edited:
Let see if this works.. :).. yep they do :) ENJOY

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 621
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 633
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 568
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 565
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 510
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 548
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 626
goaliebob99 said:
Today I took apart my 942. For the greater good of you all :) Upon First look I noticed many things.. "OHhhh and Ahhh" I said to my self, as I opened the case. Upon opening up the case I noticed no pci slots on the mother board of the 942. Keep in mind I have had this 942 since day one of release and things may have changed on the mother board configuration. I do have a new 942 coming in as this one is dead and do plan on cracking that one open to see if anything has changed :) Upon first look inside the 942 there was no smart card inside witch leaves me to believe that the smart cards are ran via software embedded into the 942. That is a very good security feature and will help curb piracy. The 942 uses a BCM4500 Chip set for its dual tuners, with one chip per tuner. Looking at broadcoms web sight here is a bit more into this chip set.

The BCM4500 is a single chip digital satellite receiver supporting QPSK, 8PSK and 16QAM modulations with iteratively (turbo) decoded error correction coding. It represents an industry milestone in terms of satellite system throughput and operating points. The BCM4500 also receives DVB, DIRECTV and Digichiper II (DCII) QPSK signals to support legacy system operation.

The BCM4500 contains dual 7-bit A/D converters, an all-digital variable rate BPSK / QPSK / 8PSK / 16QAM receiver, an advanced modulation turbo FEC decoder, and a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder. All required RAM is integrated and all required clocks are generated on chip from a single reference crystal. Baseband I/Q analog waveforms are sampled by the integrated 7-bit A/D converters, resampled by integrated interpolative digital filter banks, and filtered by dual square-root Nyquist filters. Optimized soft decisions are then fed into either a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder, or an advanced modulation turbo decoder. The final error-corrected output is delivered in MPEG-2 or DIRECTV transport format. The output clock is generated by an on-chip PLL for low jitter operation and glueless integration with Broadcom's BCM7020 HD graphics and video subsystem.The BCM4500 contains a microcontroller which implements a high level language interface for easy host software development. It also contains an integrated DiSEqCTM controller for two way communication with LNB.

SOURCE

This chip set can do digicipher II. This leaves that option open for dish security wise.

Looking into these chip sets it became apparent that this 942 can not do mpeg 4. This receiver would need to go back to the factory and have these chips replaced. The 942 Also uses another bradcom chip set as its main CPU GUI. That chip set is the Broadcom BCM7038. Here is a look at that chipset from broadcoms web sight

BCM7038
Dual High-Definition Digital Video System-on-Chip Solution for Cable, Satellite, and DTV
The BCM7038 is an advanced dual channel HD video/audio/graphics and personal video recording (PVR) chip that enables manufacturers to economically incorporate high-quality HDTV capability and PVR features into digital televisions, cable set-top boxes, satellite receivers and HD-DVD players. The chip's dual video/audio channels simultaneously support dual televisions, with independent picture-in-picture support on main and secondary. Advanced video and graphics features, such as on-chip 3D Y/C separation circuit multi-frame de-interlacing, and quad video scalars with single pass processing, significantly improve the HD picture quality, by removing unwanted noise and artifacts from the television image. The chip supports common PVR functions such as pausing live programming, recording, and forwarding and reversing through recorded programs, as well as incorporates software drivers to support industry standard PVR platforms, including TiVo® and XTV™.

The BCM7038 incorporates a 300 MHz 64-bit MIPS® CPU, along with floating point processor, which has a very fast path o 400 MHz DDR system memory to support the high-performance needs required by advanced applications. Numerous other cost saving features have been incorporated into the chip, enabling manufacturers to be more competitive in the HD market.

Source

Where have we seen XTV before?? It made me think... humm two different company's or is it a conspiracy :D I was also quite surprised at the fact that the hard drive uses SATA instead of IDE. This is a nice feature. Also it was quite apparent that dish does not want the hard drive to be mess with as there is a void warranty sticker if removed. I didn't want to mess with the hard drive to see how big it really is as this 942 has a date with dish :) One bad feature of the 942 is the VSB tuner for OTA reception. There was Nothing holding it up and could vary easily be broken if the 942 was somehow dropped during shipment. Over all the 942 looks well constructed and everything is well placed to disperse heat properly. I did not notice a fan on the 942 either. Here you all go this is what it looks like :)

They must've taken all the problems of the 921 and fixed it with the 942. The 921 has that fan noise that some of us don't appreciate much. Plus, those chips sound pretty nice in features. Thanks for opening it up for us. :)

Okay, so the 411 and 942 use the same main broadcom cpu. The 7038. See this picture for the innards of the 411 at team summit.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=2999&d=1114827012

However, the 411 has an additional chip, the 7411, which handles the AVC codec stuff. I'm assuming they came up with a new revision of the 942 mainboard which incorporates this chip. Thus all they will have to do is swap mainboards, and leave the HD and everything else the same. Who knows how much that'll cost though.

BTW, AVC = h.264, which is what dish and everyone else calls mpeg4. :)

Anything interesting under the power supply board?

Also, what is the chip to the right of the 7038, in between the 7038 and the 4500s.

Just FYI, the bcm4500 doesn't actually care what the video format is. Its job is to pass the transport stream to the main cpu for decoding. The bcm4500 works just fine with h.264 :)

However, as I said earlier, the 7038 does not decode h.264. The strange thing is, the 411 contains the 7038 + 7411, which can decode TWO streams at once. All they'd have to do is put a second tuner in the 411 and it'd be a dual tuner.

I had always thought that if you took the receiver apart that the warranty was void, even if it was the screws that takes the casing off. If the warranty would not be void then one could take the ribbon cable going to the hard drive and put a splitter on it or connect another hard drive to it or something and leave the one that is in the receiver in place.

Perhaps when the 942+ comes out someone should open one of those up and compare that with the current 942.

Stargazer said:
I had always thought that if you took the receiver apart that the warranty was void, even if it was the screws that takes the casing off. If the warranty would not be void then one could take the ribbon cable going to the hard drive and put a splitter on it or connect another hard drive to it or something and leave the one that is in the receiver in place.
Perhaps when the 942+ comes out someone should open one of those up and compare that with the current 942.

For some reason Dish hasn't used the little tamper evident pieces of tape on their receivers, other than on the harddrive. There really is no way for them to tell you opened it up.

HokieEngineer said:
Anything interesting under the power supply board?
Also, what is the chip to the right of the 7038, in between the 7038 and the 4500s.
Should be 8VSB BCM3xxx; the PCB common view remind me DP522 - perhaps same team built it.

More... Madness!!!!!!!!

I Have to make a correction that earlier I reported it was the 8vsb module that was on its own :) its in fact the remote antenna module.

I found it incredibly easy to get around the hard drive sticker with out destroying it or making it looked tampered with. Upon lifting the 942's hard drive out of the casing.. I found, WHAH a fan!!! facing down.. Vary bad place to put it as that fan is easily blocked by the cabinetry that you put the 942 on. There is only a 2 CM spacing or so of cooling air between the (legs) of the 942 and the fan. Next I took a picture of the chip that was requested by HOKIE.. This chip is the Broadcom bcm3520. More on to this chip....

BCM3520
ATSC/VSB/NTSC Digital Cable Ready DTV Receiver

The BCM3520 is a Plug-and-Play DTV receiver with superior performance and integration capabilities for the cost-effective delivery of digital television programming to consumers.

The chip contains a digital receiver compatible with North American digital cable and digital terrestrial broadcast television standards. The receiver's unique system architecture can reliably receive, track and demodulate signals in the presence of interference and a wide range of varying multi-path channel conditions with the presence of noise.

The chip also contains an IF demodulator compatible with the NTSC video standard, and an on-chip audio decoder compatible with BTSC audio standard.

Source

The Hard Drive the 942 Uses is a western Digital 2500

250 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache
WD2500SD

Designed and built to enterprise standards, WD Caviar RE SATA drives provide exceptional reliability and performance in 24/7 environments.

More info on this drive can be found HERE at western digitals sight. Also as per request I did take out the power supply and take pictures under neath.. enjoy :)

Attachments

• 942 2nd batch 001.jpg
    942 2nd batch 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 942 2nd batch 003.jpg
    942 2nd batch 003.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 942 2nd batch 004.jpg
    942 2nd batch 004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 942 2nd batch 005.jpg
    942 2nd batch 005.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 942 2nd batch 006.jpg
    942 2nd batch 006.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 942 2nd batch 008.jpg
    942 2nd batch 008.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
What 8vsb module does the 811 have. I took my 811 apart but never seen a part number on it. I think it sayed who the maker was but no part number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts