942 Mad Scientist First Look! 942 Innards.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Update :) I got my new 942 in this morning along with some of my uplink computer stuff. I did crack it open and Its the same thing as my previous 942..... No pci slot cards nothing.. :) I didnt have time to check things out as I would have liked to. Today has been maddness for me :)

goaliebob99 said:
Update :) I got my new 942 in this morning along with some of my uplink computer stuff. I did crack it open and Its the same thing as my previous 942..... No pci slot cards nothing.. :) I didnt have time to check things out as I would have liked to. Today has been maddness for me :)

No doubt! Between uplink reports, college, family, and of course Xbox 360...when do you even have time to watch TV?? :D

When you have time, can you tell if there is a difference in the model #, serial # and a possible date code (or better yet take a pic of it...removing your serial number if you like)?

If they are manufacturing a newer 942 that can take a software download, could it be that you have just received an "older" 942 without the new guts? If we find out that the manufacture date is recent on your new unit, then we can most likely put the theory of the 942+ already shipping to rest. No sense getting our hopes up!

942dvr or 942+dvr ?

Hello, long time reader first time poster, Anyway I have 3 hdtv's and currently no hd receivers but did have an 811. sent it back not enough to watch. I do have a couple 522's "love them". I was going to get 1 or 2 942's but after reading these post's I will most likely wait, also used my dish card to sign up my father and brother and the local sat rep at first offered them a 942 at $250 upgrade fee they balked and he immediatly reduced it to $150 saying that dish would reimburse him, that made me think hmmm. I'm not a tech guy, my profession is in sales and marketing so this made me think that dish may be trying to move these out the door to make room for something new "942+?" and that most people will not know the new mpeg4 model will make a difference so they won't bother to complain, the ones that do will be offered some sort of upgrade at a price $$$ that most won't do that either. The next Charlie chat in jan coming before the next tech forum in feb suggest"s to me that Charlie wil be doing a lot more promotion about hd to futher the sales of 942's and then in feb they will annouce the new model. Call Me crazy but that's how they can make the most money. They may still offer the non dvr model in jan just like they did with the 6000 and 811 before rolling out the dvr models. Remember this is my first post so take it easy on me if you think I'm off base. :confused:

DefDude, welcome to the site. You seem to me like you have been doing alot of reading on here. Looks like you are up to par on whats going on.

goaliebob99 said:
Same thing with my new 942. The only difference I noticed was with the remote control had painted arrows on the control buttons and placed Dish on Demand over the DVR button - big whoop.

if I do the $250 lease for the 942 as a new customer(current apathetic D*,C* cust.),will they upgrade me to mpeg4 for free when available?(dvr not 211)also,how is the ota reception on the 942 compared to the D*h10,if it is good I can go without lil for a while,and get the voom channels.(more hd=good)thanks,anyone?!

deathmetal said:
if I do the $250 lease for the 942 as a new customer(current apathetic D*,C* cust.),will they upgrade me to mpeg4 for free when available?(dvr not 211)also,how is the ota reception on the 942 compared to the D*h10,if it is good I can go without lil for a while,and get the voom channels.(more hd=good)thanks,anyone?!
NO ONE knows what upgrade deals may or may not be available.

Considering it's highly likely that there won't be any MPEG-4 national HD for a long time, getting a 942 now should be OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)