942 Can't Scan for Analog

kberk

Original poster
May 9, 2005
I have basic cable plus some digital cable. I use the digital cable to get HD Local channels, but the SD locals are available on the basic cable with no converter.

On my 811 if I connect the cable, I can scan for Locals and get the SD locals.

On my 942 if I connect the cable, Scan for digital is available (but of course this does not mean digital cable), but scan for analog is grayed out.

Any ideas?

So why do I care about SD locals. Well, it would be nice to use the dish tuner to find out what is on before I switch inputs on the TV. It is just less complicated then switching back and forth on the inputs. Plus the 942 should be able to record the SD locals from the TV1 tuner.

DISH saved money and didn't put in a NTSC tuner so you can't scan for local Standard Definition channels. Connect the cable line to your tv and use the NTSC tuner in your TV set.

I have the the 921 and was unable to place OTA analog into my channel lineup until I did the following.
Menu --> Preferrences --> View Preferrences --> More
(look for) Off Air Antenna Locals and check the Enable box.

I believe analogs are disabled in hopes that you purchase local from satellite.
Hope that helps.

The OTA tuner in the 942 CAN tune analog stations, it just hasn't been enabled yet.

Its once of those new software updates there working on.

Any one have any guess to a date? Is it even in a beta release yet?

I would just as soon not get analog channels. The VOOM receiver never could get analog channels and I liked it that way. I don't like having to weed through all the crummy analog channels to get to the digital channels, I use to have DirecTV before VOOM and that's what I had to do.

I don't have a 942 yet but I've got a couple of 811s. They are picking up local digitals just fine but I haven't even tried to get them to get analogs.

It is my understanding that Dish has not enabled analog station tuning because they want you to get analog stations from them $5.99 not free using Dish receivers. They have enabled receivers to do digital OTA stations because they do not yet carry those signals. I read that the 942 could handle analog OTA if Dish would enable it.

If you sign up for Dish analog locals they appear as X-00 and digitals as X-01, X-02 etc.

Grandpa J said:
It is my understanding that Dish has not enabled analog station tuning because they want you to get analog stations from them $5.99 not free using Dish receivers. They have enabled receivers to do digital OTA stations because they do not yet carry those signals. I read that the 942 could handle analog OTA if Dish would enable it.

If you sign up for Dish analog locals they appear as X-00 and digitals as X-01, X-02 etc.

Oddly enough, though, Dish says they are giving me locals at no additional cost. I called whem when I noticed that my local channels were coming over dish. I didn't want to pay for them since I was picking them up just fine OTA. So, I called Dish and was told that they aren't charging me anything for these locals coming over the satellite, they are just thowing them in, so if I was to disable them it would make no difference on my bill. I'm certainly going to have to watch my bill and make sure they aren't charging me for them.

seandudley said:
Oddly enough, though, Dish says they are giving me locals at no additional cost. I called whem when I noticed that my local channels were coming over dish. I didn't want to pay for them since I was picking them up just fine OTA. So, I called Dish and was told that they aren't charging me anything for these locals coming over the satellite, they are just thowing them in, so if I was to disable them it would make no difference on my bill. I'm certainly going to have to watch my bill and make sure they aren't charging me for them.

If your on a lease plan (DHA), the price for locals is included in your base package whether you want them or not (even if Dish doesn't provide locals in your area). The only way to avoid this charge is to own your hardware.

NightRyder

seandudley said:
That would explain it.. tks for the info.

Watch out at the end of the 3 month intro plan. If you don't tell Dish to cancel the locals at that time Dish will probably start billing you for them.

The price for AEP without locals is 81.99. With locals it is 86.99. With the DHA plan the price is 86.99 and the locals are included with the price. If there is no locals in your area I believe they have to lower the price back down to 81.99. But if there is locals in your area you are stuck with them and the price will stay at 86.99.

If some else out there that knows better about the DHA plan please speak up.

942 DVR not seeing all episodes

Need 522 HD Diagnostic Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)