942 Crashing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drsiebling

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Well, I've had my 942 for less than a week now and I'm already experiencing some pretty severe problems. It worked very well for the first two days, but for the last 4 nights running, I've had multiple crashes that have occured while simply watching a show. It appears that nothing is causing this as it just tends to happen at random. The box will be operating normally and will then suddenly power itself off and sit for about 5 minutes and not respond to any remote functions. It will then power itself back up and go through the acquiring satellite process. Once this has happened, everything seems to be back to normal. Again, this has happened twice a night for the last 4 nights running.

I called Dish tech support and they had no idea at all what was happening. Anyone else having this problem?

Well, I finally convinced Dish to send out a replacement 942. Let's hope that does the trick. Anyone have any experience in how long it takes Dish to get replacement units shipped out? I'd hate to have to deal with this stuff for another week while I await the arrival of the new unit.

Check your software version , Menu, Hit 6 sys setup, Hit 1 installation, 3 sys info Check Sofware Version . If its L225 you may not need the receiver they are sending. I had one doing the same thing, downloaded new software version L226
Has worked fine since. To download new software on 942 requires that you turn it off & make sure both tuners are off (all lights off on front panel) . (will not take download if either tuner is on) If not latest version it wll take download.

Also feel the top of the unit. If it feels hot, you may have a heat problem as I did. It did the same thing although I would get a special screen that would tell me that the tempurature was too high. The correction for me was easy. I just 1/4 inch spacers under the legs and raised the unit which helped the fan to work better and cool the unit. No problem since. heat can be a problem depending on where you have yours located. Mine was in the open and it still happened.

Well, I've noticed that the problem happens every night at 8:22. So, there must be some kind of timer problem that is shutting the box down. Naturally, there is no timer showing that could be causing this. The fact that it is happening every night at the exact same time is pretty suspect, though...

You will know if the unit gets too hot. There is a temp snesor & it will shut the unit down & tell you that the temp is XXX and is above the recommended operating temperature. Found out when I placed it on the floor rug while working on redoing all my connections on the reciever. It took about 3 minutes for it to re-cycle...On top of that it lost all guide info, as well as reset the UHF remote address.

Same time every night, though...Hmmm... Is your phone line connected? You might want to see if it tries to dial out & 8:22 & locks up.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to delete all timesrs & reset EVERYTHING to the default values. Completely redo the switch test & everything.

Heck, you could have gotten a bad download of the software for all we know.

Got my replacement 942 installed last night. Everything seemed to be working fine, although I have had two unexplained crashes that seem to have resulted from heavy guide use. On one occasion, I tuned into the free preview of SHark Tale and after I had selected the cancel button from the "Do you want to purchase This" menu, the screen went black, the sound continued to play and when I hit the guide button, the system crashed.

The second crash just happened at random. We'll see if this repeats itself.

Any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts