942 Help please

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
If there is anyone who has a 942 installed in dual mode, I would really appreciate you help. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers for.

Thanks,
Ryan

942 questions

This question only applies to people with the 942 setup in dual mode with a standard tv connected to the TV2 output.

All of my channels on the standard TV, TV2 were showing up with black bars on the side. I tried to hit the * key but it did not do anything. I went downstairs to get the instruction book and when I came back up the TV was in letterbox mode and my channels were full screen without the side bars or top/bottom bars. How do you change modes on TV2?

Next question...

I have my antenna connected to the 942 to get my digital locals and I also subscribe to the satellite locals. On the program guide it lists all of the digital locals but for some stations it has no guide info, it just says something like "Digital programming" Most of the channels like this are sub-channels that I never watch anyways, but there is at least one main channel like this. All of the guide info shows up on the satellite locals however. Is there a way to force the guide to update the info on the digital locals?

Next question...

Using the remote 2 upstairs it works about 95% of the time. Any suggestions for improving the performance of the remote?

Thanks!!

What kind of TV do you have on your TV2. Is it another 16x9 HDTV?

The format modes only work on TV1 output, there is no formating done on the TV2 output.

The guide data for digital locals only shows up on the primary channels and also only for channels that dish carries the SD counterpart for. So any subchannels or channels that dish doesn't carry has no guide data.

Remember to try to aim your remote in the direction of where the reciever is and not at the TV. If it's working to slow for you you can add some coaxil to the uhf antenna on the 942 and place the antenna higher up.

BFG said:
What kind of TV do you have on your TV2. Is it another 16x9 HDTV?

The format modes only work on TV1 output, there is no formating done on the TV2 output.

The guide data for digital locals only shows up on the primary channels and also only for channels that dish carries the SD counterpart for. So any subchannels or channels that dish doesn't carry has no guide data.

Remember to try to aim your remote in the direction of where the reciever is and not at the TV. If it's working to slow for you you can add some coaxil to the uhf antenna on the 942 and place the antenna higher up.

My TV2 is an old 27" 4X3 model.

The channels on TV2 look great now, but it still says letterbox mode. Earlier it said normal mode but it had black bars on each side. Something changed this, I would like to know what. Any ideas?

The digital channel that I am not getting info for is a main channel that I also receive via the satellite locals with program info. It says "Digital Service" This is my local NBC channel.

I will play around with the tv2 remote and see if it gets better.

Just so I didn't get confused. Dual mode is where you have independent programming for tv1 and tv2 right?

The way the output works on the TV@ is SD dish programming displays right but HD programm and digital locals have their 16x9 picture squished to 4X3 in the TV2 output.

So if you're watching non-hd content on your digital locals on TV2, the blackbars that are on the channel will be squished into the picture.

Dish needs to make an update for the TV2 output so you can do partial zoom and letterboxing. I'm pretty sure they're aware of how the formatting is not good on the tV2 output for problems like this

I found a work around that works for me. I put my 942 into 4x3 2 mode. It works on all the sd channels , it stretchs them to fit both my 16x9 tv and my 4x3 tv, and on the ota hd stations or the hd sat stations, I have the ability to do the different format modes to make it fit.

On the hd stations it will put them into letterbox , which I then will hit the format button and put them to either stretch or zoom mode and it will fit the screen. The hd shows look the same in stretch or zoom , in the 4x3 2 mode as they do in the 16x9 mode.

The majority of the channels you watch are 4x3 anyway so it makes more sense for me. On my 20 " sd tv when I use the stretch and zoom modes , the picture fits my sd tv just fine. So no letterbox on my hd or my sd tv.

It even works on the ota channels. I have a cbs station that broadcast in hd at night and during the day in sd. On sd commercials or on sd shows( news , soaps, game shows) black bars appear. I hit the format button and no more black bars. Try it and see if it works for you.

Hopefully they will have a software update to fix this in the near future. Mark at Dbstalk website says that the 942 software team is working much faster to eliminate the bugs than the Eldon 921 software team. :rolleyes:

Alto101 said:
Using the remote 2 upstairs it works about 95% of the time. Any suggestions for improving the performance of the remote?

Thanks!!

If you have your sat. receiver in an entertainment center one of the best things you can do is to use a 3 to 5 foot RG-6 cable "extender" to get your UHF remote antenna out of the entertainment center and away from all those wires. It can be taped to the back for instance. You'll need a female to female F connector to connect the antenna to the cable.

Tilting the antenna down to the horizontal when you are over or under it helps as well.

Another trick to try is to add a 6 dB attenuator in-line with the antenna. It can sometimes help, especially when the room isn't very far away.

I've heard the most RF signal comes off the sides and bottom (rather than the front), so pointing it at your TV might actually be the best thing to do.