942 Install - new LNB's

Bullfrog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Oregon
942 Install - new LNB's?

Had my new 942 installed on Wed and it died on Thursday. Apparently the hard drive is bad, and they're shipping me another.

But that isn't why I'm posting. When they installed the 942 I had them move my 300 from 148 to 129 to pick up the voom channels. They also installed a backfeed I think they called it, to send the 942 output to a SD TV on the same cable that feeds the 510 I have for that TV.

Anyway, I found a twin and single LNB on my deck after they left, so they apparantly swapped out the LNB's on both the 500 and 300. Also the SW-21 is laying there next to them as well, so I guess I didn't need that anymore.

I'm not really up on all this satellite technology, so can someone explain why they swapped the LNB's. Just curious. So was my equipment upgraded? Should I hold on to these LNB's, do they have any value, or are they just obsolete.

I'm having my 942 installed this saturday along with an 811 on another TV. I already have a Voom dish with 2 lines running into my house on the roof. I understand they will need to add another dish (500 or 1000) for the main Dish channels. Do you think they will be able to use the existing 2 lines going into the house to run the 942 and 811, or will I need a 3rd line? From what I get from reading the posts and talking with members here, it sounds like there is some kind of DPP (Dish Pro Plus) technology now that combines 2 lines into one or something? Do I assume the installer with have this DPP equipment (LNBs) for my install?

Yes DPP allows you to run a DUAL TUNER receiver (942) with one cable. Thats what the installer should use to make his life easier. My suggestion before he starts any work ask him if he has a DPP twin in his van. Don't forget to be nice to your installer.

hmm, I'd say that bullfrogs installer screwed himself as any lnbfs and switch's that are removed on an upgrade like that must be reclaimed and sent back to dishnetwork for refurbishing to be used as replacement parts. All that he had to do in all actuality was probably add a second sw-21 and take a few mins to run a second line to the 942's location and be done with it, sw-21's run $25 or so, he just tossed away around $150 I believe by putting in a new dp dual and a dpp twin and left the old twin and dual and 21 at the home.

hmm that does make sense on saving some money but what happens when the installer doesn't send the lnb's and switches back? (like my install I can almost Guarantee that it wasn't sent back)

FunkyBoss: Shaggy's right - ask for that DPP-Twin.

Van: Sw-21s are nowhere near $25. Check eBay.

Legacy stuff isn't worth the money to ship it back any more.

ANYWAY, the reason it was swapped is because he went to THREE tuners - you missed the "510" in the first post (easy to do).

SimpleSimon said:
FunkyBoss: Shaggy's right - ask for that DPP-Twin.

Van: Sw-21s are nowhere near $25. Check eBay.

Legacy stuff isn't worth the money to ship it back any more.

ANYWAY, the reason it was swapped is because he went to THREE tuners - you missed the "510" in the first post (easy to do).
I hate to be an @ss but... YES I WAS RIGHT!!! srry it doesn't happen often ;)

sA :: Shaggy said:
Yes DPP allows you to run a DUAL TUNER receiver (942) with one cable. Thats what the installer should use to make his life easier. My suggestion before he starts any work ask him if he has a DPP twin in his van. Don't forget to be nice to your installer.
Well, I'm all setup now! The installer was great and installed a Dish 500 pointing at 61.5 and a Dish 1000 combined together with a DP44 or something. He even reused the mount for my Voom dish and the 2 satellite lines that were already running into the house. So I have a single line running to both my 942 and the 811. So far, so good. I'm loving HD again!

goaliebob99 said:
good new funky boss.. was it a dnsc tech or sub contractor. :)
I'm not sure. One of the service agreement papers they left says something about 'Galaxy 1 Marketing'. The one thing I'm not sure about, is if the dishes were grounded properly. Since he used the existing satellite lines from the roof into my house, there is still just this in-line connector that has a copper wire that runs from the satellite line to a screw on my electric service box. Is that "good enough"?

P.S. Sorry to "hijack" this thread. ;)

ohh no here comes the grounding wars again. retract the last statement plzzzz. anyway good new to you and it sounds like it all works.
Nah. It's entirely possible he's got a good enough grounding setup.

The mast might be grounded via "messenger wire" on the coax. The screw on the elctrical box might be correct. Of course, if not ... :rolleyes:

So once the cable reaches the receiver, is it then split to feed both tuners?

OK, I'm confused now. So you can run a dual tuner 942 with just one cable coming into the house from the dish if you have a DP lnb?
I used to be up on all of this stuff, but I've definitely fallen behind. I was assuming they would have to run a second line to my 942 when it get's installed next week.....

To get a little more technical, there are no DPP LNBs, only switches which are fed by DP LNBs. People using the term "DPP LNB" are usually referring to the DPP Twin which contains 2 DP LNBs and a DPP switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)