942 install question - blank screen

Fabric8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Hello everyone.

My 942 arrived. The installer is scheduled for this Thursday, but being an Electrician, I thought I could hook this receiver up myself and save the $50.00 installation charge. Well, I did everthing right according to the book, and my own smartz. Plugged it in, it powered up, got the green light, got the yellow light on TV1 But nothing on the TV, blank, zip, nada. Tried every conceivable connection, nothing. Called Dish CSR, who said I should have something on my screen, and was told to call back when I do.

I have the dish 500 (legacy) system, sw21 (if I remember correctly) switches, first cable is plugged into Sat 1 and the other is into Sat 2. Phone plugged in. Hookups to both TV's are correct.

I guess I have resided to the fact I will wait for the installer to show up, and pay the install fee. But, since this forum has been a great help so far, I may not give up yet..... any suggestions? Did I miss something?

Fabric8r said:
Hello everyone.
I have the dish 500 (legacy) system, sw21 (if I remember correctly) switches, first cable is plugged into Sat 1 and the other is into Sat 2. Phone plugged in. Hookups to both TV's are correct.
The SW21 switch is for connecting another dish to your existing dish500 unless you have dish500 upgrade (two single LNBs instead of one twin LNB). Each line should go from dish to each tuner input of the 942.

On TV1 side are Y,Pr,Pb connections that go to your HD set. You may use the HDMI cable instead which connects from receiver to the HDMI or DVI-D connector (if using supplied convertor cable). For TV1 you must connect to either the component inputs or through the HDMI (do not use composite inputs because those are TV2 only. On the front panel the TV1 light should be on and also one of the modes lights. Try to toggle the input and menu buttons. You should see something even if dish coax isn't connected correctly.

The Dish 500 I have are two LNBs sitting next to each other (not the newer dual ones with a cover over both) with two cables coming out of each. Each dual cables connect to a sw21. There are two sw21s. One cable from each runs into the house. One was connected to my 7200 receiver, the other to my 311 receiver. I just took the one from the 7200 and plugged it in to SAT 1 in the new 942, and the other one that was connected to my 311 I connected to SAT 2 in the 942.

In the back of the 942, the TV1 component cables are to my HD TV (Proscan PS36800HR) and I ran a RG6 from TV2 down to my other television (not HD)

Nothing on the screen.

I will do some more fiddling tonight, but dang, can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I could easily consume the $50.00 install fee in beer, so don't want to fiddle too much. (or do I?)

Thanks for your help.

Fabric8r said:
being an Electrician, I thought I could hook this receiver up myself
Glad you're here - hopefully, you'll be better at low-voltage work because of it. :up

Nothing personal, but you know what a satellite installer dreads hearing more than anything else?
"My electrician pre-wired the house". :yikes

Anyway, forget about your satellite feeds until you get a picture. "Every conceivable" connection is not likely. That would be HDMI, DVI, Component, S-Video, Composite, and RF - some on TV1 some on TV2.

Start with the basics. Find a yellow jack on the 942. Run it to a yellow jack on the TV. If the TV doesn't have any yellow jacks, well, it's the wrong TV. Select the correct input on the TV. Method varies by TV model, so it's hard to help you there.

Here is an update, for those interested.

The inataller showed up, looked at what I had, and said it was hooked up correctly, and could never figure out why there was a blank screen. After 20 minutes with a tech at DishNetwork, they determined the receiver was defective. Was not sending an output signal on the TV1 (HD) side.

The tech, nor the installer could do anything else, and I was told I would receive a phone call that would authorize a new receiver to be sent to me. No phone call yet. Hope they do soon, they didn't waste any time processing my credit card payment. Probably will be at least another week to receive the new receiver. Grrrrr.

:no

Dish Expands Hurricane Channel

Too many remotes HELP ME!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)