942 main tv - backfeed all others on tv2? (newbie setup questions)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dubious_x

Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Current Cable customer - multiple networked replay tv setup - considering dish.

4 tv's in house - but only 2 people, so would not need more than two channels tuned at once.
Main tv in living room needs dvr/HD - all others SD/DVR.

1st install config I'm envisioning is a single 942 for all 4 tv's - tv's 2-4 backfed from tuner 2. I know PQ on tvs 2,3,4 would not be as good as tv1 - but assuming they will at least be as good as analog cable? The main reason I'm looking at this setup is that all tv's have access to the programs recorded on the 942 (something we enjoy on the networked replay's) - and in theory, we can't be at more than two tv's at a time. I am aware that tv 2/3/4 is going to be watching whatever tuner2 dvr is recording - not a big issue.

If 942 tuner 1 is recording (not OTA) , can main TV1 watch tuner 2 at the same time as all other tv's backfed by tuner2?

Cable is currently in-wall daisy chained (splitter inside each outlet) as wired by the house builder. I'm assuming I can just take the tv2 rf output on the 942 (which is located in the "middle" of the chain) and backfeed into the rest of the house (after disconnecting the cable company feed outside of course)? - or is a single distribution point with homeruns from each tv recommended?

The other option I'm considering is a 942/625 setup - 942 taking care of the most used tv's for DVR sharing, and a 625 for the other 2. Can both the 942 and 625 backfeed into the same "daisy-chain" (from different physical outlets) on different frequencies so that any tv attached to the cable could tune the Tuner2 output of either receiver? remotes could get tricky at this point, but my wife is used to stacks of remotes already.

suggestions?

The 942 would be the eaiser and cheaper way to go. You can do everything you want with that receiver.

You can just put the RCA outputs of tuner 2 into your main TV so it can get the tuner 2 signal as well.

And since TV2 is in the 900MHz range a normal cable amplifier will work on it to boost the signal to your other televisions.

I found much better results from a modulator than from the built-in feed on my 522. I imagine the 942 is the same. I have two 522s in a central location, and I take their RGB output and use a ChannelPlus modulator (though I have used a TriplePlay modulator in the past) and then combine that signal and send it throughout the house. This allows me some flexibility and gets signals all over. No HD here though. :)

Brad

I've NOT had any problems splitting TV2 to multiple outlets from a 322 or 522.

You just have to use decent hardware (cable & splitters).

I've often diplexed a pair of TV2 feeds to get them outside, reverse-split (combined) them, and then split them to go two different directions, and then split THOSE feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)