942 Ota

I get the impression that the installers have a lack of training on the product. I had to show my installer how to scan for the local OTA channels. Everything is working perfectly and I feel that the 942 is well worth the money. I have had it for two weeks and I am completely satisfied. :)

I think most users are happy with the functionality of the 942, from what I've read posted about. The tuner and the guide data seem to be the main problematic bits. Most folks with issues that I believe ARE attributable to 942 tuner 'sensitivities' we'll find, live in places subject to mult-path interference, like, Denver (mountains) and those near big cities like I am in Chicago (tall buildings, Lake Michigan).

I really like my 942, but I think that there are some things we need to help Dish work out with it. I agree that the installers were perhaps sent into the field a bit ignorant of how to problem-solve this new box...that's where, hopefully, our feedback can help.

I get 20.1 and 20.2 just fine with my 942 so i dont think it is the reciever.

Hi Paraox-SJ,

What is your signal strength of channel 20.1 and 20.2? I get 71 to 73 but my other channel come in fine with strength 68. Do you use diplexer or you run a separate line for your OTA?

Thanks!

I had a 942 and two 811s installed yesterday. Offhand, both 8-VSB tuners worked equally well at locking my digital locals from 3 deep-fringe DMAs (51+ miles, 53+ miles and 55+ miles); signal levels on each receiver type was comparable. My quick assessment is that the OTA tuners are at least on par with the VOOM/Motorola 8-VSB module and my Mits & Samsung integrated tuners. My integrated tuner on my Sony is superior (more sensitive) to the others, but only time will tell if the 942 tuner is as good. I do not use analog nor do a suffer from multipath so I cannot comment on those two issues. My only complaints about the 942 are:

1. Single OTA tuner. I recorded CSI last night and the darn thing wouldn't let me watch another OTA channel.

2. The 942 provides a signal level meter, but I could not locate Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)...although I didn't have to too much time to play around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts