942 - Record 3 shows at once?

Timmernator

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Newbie with a 942:

I thought I read in a FAQ somewhere that this was possible, but I can't figure out if it is. Has anyone done it?

Thanks...:eek:

Actually it can record 4 shows off the sat and 1 show off an ota signal all at once, this is per an official Dish Network employee training session from 5 months ago.

Van said:
Actually it can record 4 shows off the sat and 1 show off an ota signal all at once, this is per an official Dish Network employee training session from 5 months ago.

I see engenerring has been smoking crack again or someone was sleeping through class.. you can record 3 shows at once and watch a 4th show off the dvr... (one show per tuner) unless there is a new 942 with 3 sat tuners and one OTA... (if thats the case I want that BADBOY)

for instance

you can record espn on tuner 1 hdnet on tuner two, ota abc on the ant in port and watch a recorded voom show off of the hard drive.. thats its limits.... if it can do more than that thats news to me... after all that is what i remember of the trainning..

Goalie is right on the input side - E* screwed us up by making the second digit a 4 instead of the "correct" 3.

However, he forgot that there's TWO outputs on the 942, so there can be a total of FIVE streams working the HDD at the same time.

My 921 can do at least 4 streams at once - two being recorded, two (non-HD) on playback by using PiP. It's a bit futzy to make that happen, but it works. I've not tried to record 3 streams at once because I don't have any OTA here.

Well if they were gonna split the OTA tuner internally (like the HD Tivo does) then it would've been a 942, but supossedly they decided not to do that because dish so happens to be in Denver where the OTAs are very low power and internally splitting the OTA killed the signal...

Let me get this straight. I can record espn hd on tuner 1, hdnet on tuner 2 and let's say my OTA ABC HD. Where does the program on my OTA ABC HD goes? to the Harddrive of the 942? So I should be able to see the three recording on the 942 list recording? Is this correct?

Sean,

Correct, but since all three tuners are being used you can only flip between ESPN HD, HDNET and ABC-HD or you will have to cancel either a SAT recording (if you're flipping to another SAT channel) or cancel your OTA recording if you wish to flip to say NBC-HD. I am assuming you are in Single User Mode. You can, however, watch a recorded event already on the DVR during this time and not affect the three recordings.

The two SAT tuners in the 942 are fine, but it really needs a 2nd OTA tuner IMO. Hopefully the home server will have 4 Sat and 2 OTA tuners at a minimum.

Man this is good. I did not know I could do this. The other day I was recording two sat channels on tuner 1 and tuner 2 and was watching an OTA station. I thought that was cool but I thought it was a problem with my 942. I will try it.

I am reading in this post that you can record HD (to the DVR) from tuners 1 & 2, but my understanding in that tuner 2 is SD therefore NOT allowing to record an HD station from tuner 2. Bear in mind, I am NOT talking about recording capabilities of the OFF-AIR (which I understand how I CAN record HD from!)

Am I misguided?
R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)