942 search not working?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Any one else having this problem? I have it 3 weeks, worked fine, now last few days it says error anytime I do a search.

It sounds like your PG got hosed. Hopefully a reboot will correct the problem. After being on vacation the past week, I was hoping to find a software update on my 942 (L2.27?) upon my return - didn't happen. Love the box, hate the ongoing PG problem with digital locals!

Mine wasn't working either - until Monday

This is weird. I installed a new 942 on Thursday last week. One of the things I checked that evening was the search function. I even setup a couple of test recordings. All was well.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Search function wouldn't work. On the result screen that would list the searched shows, the title would show Error on the left and the day's date on the right. Interesting thing to note, the Dish Pass search worked ok.

I tried everything I could think of....run switch check, hard boot the unit, etc.
Search would not work.

Yesterday morning, it worked! I tried it numerous times and it worked fine.
It worked again this morning.

MichaelG said:
This is weird. I installed a new 942 on Thursday last week. One of the things I checked that evening was the search function. I even setup a couple of test recordings. All was well.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Search function wouldn't work. On the result screen that would list the searched shows, the title would show Error on the left and the day's date on the right. Interesting thing to note, the Dish Pass search worked ok.

I tried everything I could think of....run switch check, hard boot the unit, etc.
Search would not work.

Yesterday morning, it worked! I tried it numerous times and it worked fine.
It worked again this morning.

A hard reboot, power off, and a check switch still did not fix my search. Hmm and I thought my 921 had a few bugs. While this is better it is still a little buggy. My search does not work. The OTA tuner int he 942 is either more sesntiuve or somtihng as it give me more glitches than the 921 did, the 921 OTA was rock solid.

Still working here

Sorry to hear that it is still not working. I havent' had anymore problems since last week. Though I never spoke to Dish and I don't see any other threads about this problem, I always felt it was an issue with stored PG info.

When I was initially installed in May, I had major PG and missing channel issues with my #1 DVR-942 because the installers didn't know that the power inserter for the DPP44 had to be on port 1. After I search on the web for the installation instructions for a 44 switch, I moved the connection myself. All of my PG issues and missing channels went away. I thought I was trouble free until I added the second 942 and started having the same Search issue you are having.

Wel I broke downa nd called Dish. They say they know about the search problem and are working on it, but we also discovered my Timers are corrupt. Seems there are 3 that will not delete and when you select them you get corruption showing as the description. So it appears a new 942 is on its way to me. While I know new stuff can have problme, so far while the 942 is better than my 921 was, it is not as good as I thought or as the reviews made it out to be. Seems Dish just can't make a solid DVR since the 501/508/510. Hell my 501 has been humming over 4 years without a flaw and recently upgraded it to 120GB drive and still flawless, even with latest software!

Latest in my Saga. While I waited for the repalcement 942 I tried dleeting all valid timers and just left receiver alone for a few days. Still used it for watching live and recorded events, but had no valid timers, just the remaining corrupt one. Well 2 days later I go in and I can delete the bogus timer. Now everything works great and the search is working again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)