942 to 622 opinion please

rr7296

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Okay, I am upgrading to the 622 receiver from my 942 and wondered if I should take the free install of a dish 1000 or just let them ship it to me. I currently have the big a** super dish in my backyard on a steel post and another dish pointing at the 61.5 sat on my roof. If the installer comes out will he/she remove the big sucker and install a dish 1000 on my roof??? Does the dish 1000 do it all or will I still need 2 dishes. The superdish was because I used to receive my locals off the 121 sat and now it is on the 110 spotbeam which believe it or not seems to be a lower signal than the 121. Anyway, thanks for reading and and help/opinions would be greatly appreciated. My zip code is 44460.

Last edited:
I think that that 942 and the 622 are essentially identical except that:

The 622 can use the imaginary external hard disk storage.
The 622 can use the Ethernet Jack for Imaginary IPTV support (and has had it for over a year now)
The 942 can tune in analog OTA channels
The 622 can tune in MPEG4 channels
The 622 has a future

Last edited:
Ordered my 622 through Dish and was told professional installation was required even though I requested it to be shipped to me. I guess it's their policy. Although "Dish-it-up" install was free.

The 942's and the mpeg 2 technology should have been released earlier, or not at all because of the impending mpeg 4 on the horizon. You now have to get or pay for the upgrade (a 622 leased or purchased), including the 1000 or 1000.2 dishes.

The Dish folks would probably not agree, but I am sure that many of my 942 installes will be upgrading soon.

You may need to exchange the superdish for a dish 1000 (or dish100+, does dish offer you locals in HD, if so what location) and/or swing the dish for 61.5 to 129.

HD locals are NOT available and probably won't be anytime soon. Thinking back I believe the original installer was having trouble getting the 129 satellite so he called and got permission from his manager to point it at the 61.5. Are all HD locals being put on the 129??

No, some HD locals are on 129, others are on 118.75 as well as 61.5. All National HD channels are available on either 61.5 or 129. If your installers think they are better off giving you 61.5, then you should do that. It shouldn't be a problem until your local HD channels become available.

No, some HD locals are on 129, others are on 118.75 as well as 61.5. All National HD channels are available on either 61.5 or 129. If your installers think they are better off giving you 61.5, then you should do that. It shouldn't be a problem until your local HD channels become available.

Thanks Gary, and thanks to all on their input. I will just have them ship it to me and listen to the wife complain about the 2 dishes a little longer :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)