942 to 622 Upgrade Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shaggyjb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I currently have a VIP211 and a 942. I subscribe to the DishHD package, which gives me the VOOM channels, several of which I get on the 942. As stated in other threads, on August 15 those channels will migrate from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and thus will disappear from my 942. I should see no change in my VIP211 programming given my current package. I read that I could upgrade my 942 to a 611 for free but have been unable to do so over the phone.

The first attempt yielded me an offer to pay $149 and upgrade my HD package. This made no sense because I already subscribe to the DishHD pacakge ($20 per month). The guy was super confused by my questions so I ended the conversation and tried again with someone else.

On my second attempt, I was told that I cannot take advantage of any promos because I have 2 months left on my last 18 month commitment from a previous promo. I was told by this guy that the only way to upgrade my 942 is to purchase a 622. Is this a rule?

So, can I upgrade my 942 to a 611 for free as stated in my current situation? Has anyone done this yet? If so, what do I tell the CSR to help him/her get this to happen?

So, I called the number on the screen first (I am e-mailing them now, thx for the info btw). Here is what I was told:

I am not eligible to upgrade my soon to be obsolete 942 b/c I already have 5 leased tuners (two dual-channel tuners + a single channel tuner). Huh? I tried twice w/ the same result. Is it a rule that you can only have 4 leased tuners? I lease 3 receivers (5 tuners), own 1 (total 6 tuners).

I hope I have better luck through the e-mail.

So, I called the number on the screen first (I am e-mailing them now, thx for the info btw). Here is what I was told:

I am not eligible to upgrade my soon to be obsolete 942 b/c I already have 5 leased tuners (two dual-channel tuners + a single channel tuner). Huh? I tried twice w/ the same result. Is it a rule that you can only have 4 leased tuners? I lease 3 receivers (5 tuners), own 1 (total 6 tuners).

I hope I have better luck through the e-mail.

They gave me similar nonsense about replacing my 6000 when I called the special number. I have 2 leased 622's(replaced 2 owned 921's). I am debating sending email to ceo@echostar.com.

I received an e-mail back from corporate that they will make an exemption for me and upgrade my 942. I will be very happy once I see a new 622 in my house. Thanks for the help!!!

i have a leased 622 and 942 and own a 6000. I was able to upgrade my 942 to a 622 with a 149$ upfront fee coupled with a 100$ rebate on the second 622. The 6000 will be upgraded to a 211 with a 99$ upfront fee to be coupled with a 99$ rebate. I pay 248$ upfront and get 199$ back in rebates. My 18 month commitment begins anew upon installation. I was at 12 months or so under my previous 18 month commitment. But I have been customer(150$ monthly) for over 8 + years. i spoke to tech support that; I received a message on both the 942 and 6000 receivers concerning the loss of channels, rather than play customer service roulette.Tech support handled this very well.

FWIW they said I can replace my leased 942 with a 622 for free and I can add another 622 to replace my owned 510 (which I get to keep) for $99, I thought that was a pretty decent deal considering they will have the throw up a dish for 61.5. I only hope the 622 is as good to me as my 942 has been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)