942 to 622 Upgrade Problem

shaggyjb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I currently have a VIP211 and a 942. I subscribe to the DishHD package, which gives me the VOOM channels, several of which I get on the 942. As stated in other threads, on August 15 those channels will migrate from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and thus will disappear from my 942. I should see no change in my VIP211 programming given my current package. I read that I could upgrade my 942 to a 611 for free but have been unable to do so over the phone.

The first attempt yielded me an offer to pay $149 and upgrade my HD package. This made no sense because I already subscribe to the DishHD pacakge ($20 per month). The guy was super confused by my questions so I ended the conversation and tried again with someone else.

On my second attempt, I was told that I cannot take advantage of any promos because I have 2 months left on my last 18 month commitment from a previous promo. I was told by this guy that the only way to upgrade my 942 is to purchase a 622. Is this a rule?

So, can I upgrade my 942 to a 611 for free as stated in my current situation? Has anyone done this yet? If so, what do I tell the CSR to help him/her get this to happen?

So, I called the number on the screen first (I am e-mailing them now, thx for the info btw). Here is what I was told:

I am not eligible to upgrade my soon to be obsolete 942 b/c I already have 5 leased tuners (two dual-channel tuners + a single channel tuner). Huh? I tried twice w/ the same result. Is it a rule that you can only have 4 leased tuners? I lease 3 receivers (5 tuners), own 1 (total 6 tuners).

I hope I have better luck through the e-mail.

So, I called the number on the screen first (I am e-mailing them now, thx for the info btw). Here is what I was told:

I am not eligible to upgrade my soon to be obsolete 942 b/c I already have 5 leased tuners (two dual-channel tuners + a single channel tuner). Huh? I tried twice w/ the same result. Is it a rule that you can only have 4 leased tuners? I lease 3 receivers (5 tuners), own 1 (total 6 tuners).

I hope I have better luck through the e-mail.

They gave me similar nonsense about replacing my 6000 when I called the special number. I have 2 leased 622's(replaced 2 owned 921's). I am debating sending email to ceo@echostar.com.

I received an e-mail back from corporate that they will make an exemption for me and upgrade my 942. I will be very happy once I see a new 622 in my house. Thanks for the help!!!

i have a leased 622 and 942 and own a 6000. I was able to upgrade my 942 to a 622 with a 149$ upfront fee coupled with a 100$ rebate on the second 622. The 6000 will be upgraded to a 211 with a 99$ upfront fee to be coupled with a 99$ rebate. I pay 248$ upfront and get 199$ back in rebates. My 18 month commitment begins anew upon installation. I was at 12 months or so under my previous 18 month commitment. But I have been customer(150$ monthly) for over 8 + years. i spoke to tech support that; I received a message on both the 942 and 6000 receivers concerning the loss of channels, rather than play customer service roulette.Tech support handled this very well.

FWIW they said I can replace my leased 942 with a 622 for free and I can add another 622 to replace my owned 510 (which I get to keep) for $99, I thought that was a pretty decent deal considering they will have the throw up a dish for 61.5. I only hope the 622 is as good to me as my 942 has been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)