942 upgrade

hdaddikt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Clovis, CA
I am seriously considering the 942 upgrade. It is my understanding E* will now be allowing existing customer's to do a lease on the 942 with a $249 payment. I will be exchanging an 811.

We are using a 510 PVR with TV2. It seems to me, even though we could run the works with a 942 we could never do simultaneous recordings if we gave up the 510. It may well be worth the $5/mo to keep it, and use the dual tuner advantage for HD programming only, record while watching live.
Any thoughts?

My present system besides the 2 receivers mentioned, is all DishPro equipment. One Dish500 with dual LNBs (110/119) and one Dish500 with one LNB, (61.5) two diplexers, and feeding 2 sets (one HD, one SD). Local HDs with OTA.

You don't say how the 61.5 dish is mixed into the main one. External switch or what?

Anyway, the simplest installation for a 3-bird two receiver setup is a DPP-Twin.

IIRC, the 942 upgrade fee includes installation. Let them do it. :)

Oh - and yes, I think it's a good idea to keep the 510 so that you've got the extra DVR tuner.

SimpleSimon said:
You don't say how the 61.5 dish is mixed into the main one. External switch or what?

I thought I said that here:

"My present system besides the 2 receivers mentioned, is all DishPro equipment. One Dish500 with dual LNBs (110/119) and one Dish500 with one LNB, (61.5) two switches (not diplexers), and feeding 2 sets (one HD, one SD). Local HDs with OTA."

I am going for the 942 and give up the 510 and of course 811. 2 tuners will work. I use my display tuner for OTA.

Thanks for the suggestions..I agree, let them go through the installation. Fortunate to have good installers here.

SS is asking for details. Since you're using 2 switches between the dishes I'm going to guess "dual LNBs" is actually a DP Twin and the 2 switches are DP21s.

Both inputs of the 942 must have the same switch configuration or come from the same multi-output switch. I suspect your current setup qualifies, so just plug both lines into the 942 then do a check switch.

If you decide to keep one of your existing receivers get the DPP Twin as SS suggested. Remove the external switches and run 1 feed from the 61.5 dish to the DPP Twin's input instead. Add the DPP Separator at the back of the 942.

BobaBird said:
SS is asking for details. Since you're using 2 switches between the dishes I'm going to guess "dual LNBs" is actually a DP Twin and the 2 switches are DP21s.

Both inputs of the 942 must have the same switch configuration or come from the same multi-output switch. I suspect your current setup qualifies, so just plug both lines into the 942 then do a check switch.

If you decide to keep one of your existing receivers get the DPP Twin as SS suggested. Remove the external switches and run 1 feed from the 61.5 dish to the DPP Twin's input instead. Add the DPP Separator at the back of the 942.

Your guess is correct. Yes, going with a DPP Twin seems to be the key. Thank you for the info!

Let me tell you. The 942 is well worth it. I have only had it lock up once in a month. It is a very good box so far

mothergoose45 said:
Let me tell you. The 942 is well worth it. I have only had it lock up once in a month. It is a very good box so far

That's good to know! I may luck out and not turn it on the one time it may lock up!
:D

hdaddikt said:
I thought I said that here:
No what you said is still there:
hdaddikt said:
My present system besides the 2 receivers mentioned, is all DishPro equipment. One Dish500 with dual LNBs (110/119) and one Dish500 with one LNB, (61.5) two diplexers, and feeding 2 sets (one HD, one SD). Local HDs with OTA.
Diplexers (used for the OTA) and switches are two very different things, so therefore my question was (and still is) valid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)