942 with new Logitech Harmony 880

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Has anyone used the new Logitech Harmony 880 with their 942? It look to be a good remote if it works well. I also want to control a Sony reciever and TV and a RCA DVD player. If anyone uses it let me know how it works.

I have the slightly older 688 Harmony and it works great with the 942, though I had to correct a few of the default buttons.

CDH.

I just upgraded my 688 to an 880, (giving the 688 to a friend). I think prefer the 880 button layout better, but both rock. I did customize both 688 and 880 a bit to get all the DVR buttons and such to work the way I wanted, but it definitely works very well.

FYI, Check eBay, you can get the Harmony Remotes for alot less than retail. I picked up the 688 for $150 when I bought it, although I was impatient and bought the 880 retail from BestBuy.

I have a Harmony 659 I use in the bedroom for a Sony 34" xbr, 921, and DVD. I just purchased a Harmony 880 for the Family room to operate a Sony 60" Grand Wega III, a Onkyo TX-602, a 921, a Samsung DVD Recorder, an XBOX, and an old VCR. Went on the web and listed the equipment and TV input and Receiver inputs and it worked just as advertised. I did have to remove the UHF antennae from one of the 921's, since they only seemed to accept an IR signal on address 1. May be a better way to do it but I haven't had time to experiment, and everything operates fine from the default 880 setup.

I am using the 688 with the 942 and with all my other AV equipment. Works great!
The default 942 configuration is good enough, but it is missing a couple of DVR functions, as others mentioned above. So I had to add some custom buttons. It took just a few minutes. I assume the 880 would have no problems either.