95W Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fst

Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Background:

DirecTV International package (101W and 95W)
36" Round Dish
2 LNBs (One is a standard "FTA" LNB pointing to 95W, the other is the dual 13V/18V DirecTV LNB pointing to 101).
One Receiver: D10-300
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch. (FTA LNB is in Flexport #1.)

Problem:

Everything was set up and was working fine for over a month. Suddenly, the receiver cannot find the 95W signal and says "Searching for satellite signal..." whenever I go to an international channel. All of the standard DirecTV channels (off of 101W) work fine.

I went into setup and looked at the signal strength of the TPs on 95W. All TPs were zero, so I assumed that my dish got bumped a little, since 95W is tougher to pull in here than 101W. (TP signal strengths for 101W were all above 85.)

To realign the dish I unplugged the standard LNB from the switch and ran it directly into my Traxis 3500. I tweaked the dish until I was getting all of the correct channels off of G3C (and quality of 70+ percent on all TPs) and then plugged the LNB back into flexport #1. (I also tried Flexport #2 as well as a different output port for the cable running into the house.)

When I turn on the D10, I get the same thing as before. Under the D10 setup, the signal strength for the 101W TPs are all over 90. The 95W TPs still show zero (although tp22 jumps a little). Next I figured I'd try tweaking the dish with the D10 hooked up, starting from where the Traxis got good reception. When I move the dish west a little tp22 jumps up to 95 percent in signal strength but nothing on the other TPs. (I'm thinking this might even be a different bird giving the high strength on tp22, since this same dish position gets nothing from the Traxis.)

I've swapped out the cables. I've tried a D11 in place of the D10. I took my D10 to a neighbor and everything works fine. The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the switch, since I don't have a spare. However, does this sound like a switch problem, given that 101W works fine and I can get a high signal strength on tp22?

From what I've been told (and verified at my neighbor's place) only TPs 1, 15 and 22 (on 95W) need a signal for everything to work properly. As a final bit of troubleshooting, I tried to enter the Lyngsat TP/SR numbers into my Traxis for 1, 15 and 22 to see what I got bypassing the switch. However, the Lyngsat numbers don't seem to work and none of the TPs that my Traxis finds on a blind scan match up to the numbers on Lyngsat for 1, 15 or 22.

Somebody please help. Thanks in advance.

FT

you only can check tp4 11789H for CCTV (FTA) and tp 18 12050 H for Phoenix from Traxis receiver. other then this, you get no signal at all

I am a tech,and align these with my meter. Find 101W on the correct LNB. Make sure you are getting the correct signal. Then switch to 95W LNB and move the dish slightly east and a few degrees higher elevation. You don't have to move the dish much at all.

Of course the mast has to be plumb and leveled. These directions are based on installation of 36" DirecTV dish in IL

Your receiver should see the signal on transponder 15

My honest opinion of this system: IT SUCKS...snow affects 95W a lot more than 11, and the snow accumulates on top of the LNB as soon as it starts falling.

Hmmm...it looks like I need to clarify things, since my original post may not have been clear.

1) I have *no* problem locking onto 95W using my Traxis 3500.

2) I also have no problem finding 101W using the DirecTV (D10-300) box, with the dish in the same position as when the Traxis locks onto 95W.

3) My problem is with getting my D10-300 to see the 95W bird.

Here is my basic question: If I align my dish to pull in 95W and get everything rock solid (by using my Traxis), why wouldn't my D10 receiver get a signal on any of the 95W transponders? (The D10, however, gets a great signal for 101W in this same dish position.)

This was all working properly for over a month. My hunch is that the multiswitch has gone bad, since I've verified the dish, the cables and everything else is working.

Can anyone tell me whether this sounds like a multiswitch problem?

The signals on 95 that DirecTV uses are their own encryption (DSS) so a Traxis (or any FTA receiver) WILL NOT pick those up. I have enough FTA receivers to prove it. Been there tried that :)

If you get CCTV on 11780 H 20760 strong with the Traxis, then the dish is alligned properly.

Thanks, Ice.

Yup, I get CCTV (11780H/20760) to come in great with a quality of 80+.

The D10 however can no longer see 95W, despite the dish being aligned properly.

Does it sound likely that the multiswitch is to blame?

sounds like it. I havent worked with one so I honestly dont know (I've worked with older 3x4 & 4x4 multiswitches but never the 6x8 with the flexport)

If you're getting 80+ on CCTV the dish is aimed properly :)

also, welcome :wave to Satelliteguys

Since you've got a Traxis, you might want to check out our FTA area :)

fst said:
Thanks, Ice.

Yup, I get CCTV (11780H/20760) to come in great with a quality of 80+.

The D10 however can no longer see 95W, despite the dish being aligned properly.

Does it sound likely that the multiswitch is to blame?

yes,
If youre using a 4X4 the 18 22khz port may be bad.
If youre using a 6X8 switch the flexports than run autodetec.

It's the Zinwell 6x8. Yup, I already tried Flexport #2 in place of #1. I even tried a different output port. Still I get bupkis from 95W on the D10.

BTW, Ice: Thanks for the greeting and the suggestion on the FTA side of the house. I've actually been reading over there for months...just never needed to post, yet.

Yup. It was the switch. Swapped in a new one and everything is back to normal. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts