96% signal strength but not all HD channels,...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kev5n24

Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
I live in a condo complex and the HOA wont let us mouth anything to the building. I'll be damned if im going without the NFL Sunday Package though so i mounted my HD dish into a cinder block, and the block into a drain pan of a big old plant pot, and cemented the whole damn thing solid as a rock! :D It sits on the front step to my place not mounted to anything so the HOA is off my back, and although its not a perfect scenario as long as no one bumps the dish on there way in or out (like i did last night on my way back from the store) i get all the channels just fine. If someone DOES bump it though the first to go are some of the HD channels. But after a realignment (just gotta spin it left or right) i can have great signal quality and all the reg channels but still not get all the HD's.

Here's my dish,..

IMG_0149.jpg

Heres the view my dish has,..

IMG_0150.jpg

And here's the signal strength for all transponders,.. (but still can't get all the HD's even with this signal strength)

IMG_0151.jpg

I'm not sure about transponder 4 and 12, cant remember if there something other then 0 when i am getting EVERY channel, and i wanted to get it re-aligned and see this time if they say something other then 0 but alas i cant get it pointed right this time. Maybe someone knows if there important?

So to recap,.. when the dish is bumped and the HD's go i have a b*tch of a time getting them back even though ill have great signal strength and get every other channel. The HD's i loose are in the 73HD range,.. and up at 212HD,.. but i can get 209HD just fine. Oh and yes on the missing HD channels the TV will say searching for sat signal (771)

Anyone know why?

Need more info, what rec. are you using, you have a 5 lnb dish I see.
Do you have the BBC's on the back of the dish ?
You should have very few channels in the 70's anymore, they are all mpeg2, you'll want to use the mpeg4 channels, they will look much better.
What kind of signal strength do you have on the 99 and 103 sat ?
IF nothing, run thru your set up again and make sure you are selecting the correct dish type in the set up menu.

Need more info, what rec. are you using, you have a 5 lnb dish I see.
Do you have the BBC's on the back of the dish ?
You should have very few channels in the 70's anymore, they are all mpeg2, you'll want to use the mpeg4 channels, they will look much better.
What kind of signal strength do you have on the 99 and 103 sat ?
IF nothing, run thru your set up again and make sure you are selecting the correct dish type in the set up menu.

I have a HR20 and an H20 box running off that dish, nothing else. I don't know what BBC's means and I've ran through the setup and reset the boxes too. I'd think everything is set right in the setting cuz like i said most the time i get all the channels just fine.

Here are pics of the sats u asked about...
z3uxfwtttoewz7f1420m.jpg

araqhi4i1x7qv9e22t.jpg

963rhnj9bodg5tk8tic.jpg

961e8f4h7ztd6vw0dwby.jpg

Your numbers are a little low, but not enough for you to not get channels.
The BBC's are to get you your mpeg4 HD channels, if your getting channels in the 200's in HD, you have them on ok.
Channels 480-484 will verify your BBC's, but I think your good with them anyways.

Check around in the 200's to verify your channels your getting are the HD ones. What HD channels are you NOT getting ?

Jimbo

Your numbers are a little low, but not enough for you to not get channels.
The BBC's are to get you your mpeg4 HD channels, if your getting channels in the 200's in HD, you have them on ok.
Channels 480-484 will verify your BBC's, but I think your good with them anyways.

Check around in the 200's to verify your channels your getting are the HD ones. What HD channels are you NOT getting ?

Jimbo

get:
201, 204, 205, 206, 208, 209, 213, 218, 219, 231, 241, 242

not getting:
202, 207, 212,... 210 & 211 but it says 'to be announced' not 771 though,... no 217, 229

Some of those weren't HD channels but still i think you get the idea.

i just checked the 480-484 channels and im not getting any of them.
480 says: Correct HD Dish setup. 103 B-Band Odd. (13V)
481 says: searching for signal on sat in 2 (771)
482 says: Correct HD Dish setup. 99 B-Band Odd. (13V)
483 says: Correct HD Dish setup. 99 B-Band Even. (18V)

no channel 484 to select

EDIT:
Oh i see now that "Correct" means everything is ok, not that the dish needs correction.
I'm getting a "searching for signal on sat in 2 (771)" msg on channels 493 and 494 too.

Last edited:
Your missing even transponders on 103. You might have an LNB problem, along with an aiming issue.

If it's an LNB issue why would the above listed channels go out only when the dish is out of alignment? I agree an aiming issue, but how do i aim it better? I'm set at 144, 45 and 108 degrees. How can one fine tune it for the sats not getting signal more then that?

Have you ever got the channels that you have missing ?

If you have the Protection plan, D* will come out and check everything and rplace anything that may be bad for free.

not getting:
202, 207, 212,... 210 & 211 but it says 'to be announced' not 771 though,... no 217, 229

The channels listed above, excluding 210&211, are beamed from the 103(c) sat. on even transponders, and since you have all 0's, no channels. 210&211 are on the 101 sat. I agree with Liquidforce on the possibility of a bad LNB and also with the alignment issue.

not getting:

The channels listed above, excluding 210&211, are beamed from the 103(c) sat. on even transponders, and since you have all 0's, no channels. 210&211 are on the 101 sat. I agree with Liquidforce on the possibility of a bad LNB and also with the alignment issue.

If it's an LNB issue why would the above listed channels go out only when the dish is out of alignment? I agree an aiming issue, but how do i aim it better? I'm set at 144, 45 and 108 degrees. How can one fine tune it for the sats not getting signal more then that?

alright i got it pointed again,.. maybe this mornings clear weather helped but i also tuned the specifically to sat 103 (c) and made sure that was in to around 80%,.. then i kept moving the dish back a few inches at a time, checking the signal strength till the overhang of the porch started knock the signal down then i stopped. its around 80 and way back out of the way now so it shouldn't get bumped anymore. Thanks for letting me know what sat was important to get my HD's wolfman ;-)

Missing the even transponders on 101c is nearly always caused by a cable or connector problem, so you should check for loose or corroded connectors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)