97W vertical TP's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Ok, I lost most of the vertical TP's on 97 on the 30 inch but only on 97W.
H TP's are normal Q, while all except 2 on Vertical are '0', while the 2 'working' seem a bit low.
Checked alignment -OK, and even replaced the LNBF with another Titanium PLL. Still nothing.
Then, checked some other satellites, All OK on vertical. (as well as H)
Wait! What? now that I return to 97, everything's fine. Was there a hickup (abnormality in 'sat speak') on the satellite? Oh well, wasted just a couple of hours.

I had some odd things happen yesterday when switching between polarities, including losing channels (esp. Vertical ones). When this happens, I always suspect something wrong with voltage not going through correctly. We had a lot of wind and rain lately, so I tightened the connections slightly. A little better, but was still cutting out. Next, I disconnected my externally powered hard drive for an hour or so before reconnecting it and that seemed to have fixed the problem -- in fact it resolved almost immediately after disconnection. I don't know why. Overheating? Faulty current draw on the drive's external power? I know disconnecting the drive should have nothing to do with it in theory, but all I can do is provide my observation.

So, in the end, if more crazy things happened today on 97W, I would have thought it was just me.

Edit: using a MicroHD. Are you using an Openbox s9?

Fat air check your cables that could be a issue only allowing one voltage to go through. Remember if you scan and you get one polarity check your cable.

Unlikely a bad connector or coax if vertical is good, but horizontal is not. If vertical is working, but horizontal is not then I would suspect bad fitting or cable.

Did you measure the voltage at the LNBF when switching the STB between horizontal and vertical? You ruled out a defective LNBF sticking on the polarity change by swapping to a spare LNBF. The obvious remaining equipment is the STB. Maybe a logic issue and try a reset?

Reactions: northgeorgia
Yes an Openbox s9. The STRANGE thing is, it only was observed on 97 on the motored 30 inch. 3 other satellites with the same dish worked H and V. Back to 97 and only 2 Vertical TP's registered Q while the H TP's were 'normal' Q. Checked cables and fittings, clean and shiny, and 'while at it' swapped the LNBF. No change. Went back to the other 3 satellites and noted H and V TP Quality, not just missing channels, all fine. Started typing post while moving the dish back to 97 and flipped thru some channels and that's the Hey wait! moment. :gremlins?
I'll have to keep an eye on it. Rain now, thru possibly tomorrow late, so it's the usual loss of channels now.
But this is affecting ALL satellites. as it should.

Is it possible that you are not centered on 97? Did you try + or - .5 degree either side of 97 and see what happens?

Dead "ON" I checked. Centered up the BUD then tweaked the 30 inch. (it's mounted on the BUD)
Clipboard02.jpg

I've had trouble all day with most channels on 97 and 103 not working. Not showing any on quality.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

And as expected, as the rain moved out and the mist is abating, seems they are all returning. A bit weak, H and V, but need the thick clouds to leave also. Might have to think about putting the 1.0 meter on the bud.???? :eek It's a lot heavier.

97W just fine on the 33" with Avenger PLL LNB. Very mininal rain fade.

I tweak on TP 12022 as this one seems weaker than the others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts