99° kaku satellite-Install Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

indylocal

Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I recently had the 5lnb oval with the h20 installed at my residence. I couldn't get locals in hd because it wasn't released yet. Now i am supposedly able to get our ABC local in HD, but I get no signal on 99°, where the channel is to come from. I had the installer tech come out and he said 99 isn't up yet, so we called directv and they confirmed it's up and local abc hd is available. So I asked him to go put his signal meter on the dish to ensure I was getting a signal on 99, but his signal meter wasn't programed to look for 99, just 110, 101, etc. Those were all 99 and 98% strength.

my questions are...

1) Does anyone know if 99 is up and active

2) if the other satellites are at 98% then I should get 99° at an OK rate too?

3) advice to correct?????

Indianapolis, Indiana...

Last edited:
Do you subscribe to a programming package that includes your local channels?
Have you tried rerunning the receivers set-up program again?
Yes the 99 bird is operational...call D* back and tell them to send a tech. back out...this time with
the proper meter equip.

Last edited:
indylocal,

Do you see any signal on 99 or 103 on the H20 signal strength page? Do you have the b-band converter installed on the H20? It is a small white box that is in-line on the sat feed into the H20.

I Do have the B-band installed, but no signal at all on 103 or 99. Thanks for the help...keep it coming...

indylocal said:
I Do have the B-band installed, but no signal at all on 103 or 99. Thanks for the help...keep it coming...
Do you have a multi-switch in your setup? Only the new Zinwell WB68 is designed to work with the KA sats. If you have a multi-switch, make sure it is this model.

What max signal strength does your H20 show for 101, 110 and 119? You should see 70+ on at least some of the transponders on each of the sats, with some even in the 80's. If you do then I would think you should be seeing something on 99 or 103. If the dish is well aligned for 101 and 119, 99 and 103 have to be close if not perfect.

Last edited:
dish is align well...get upper 80 signal on the h20, outdoor get 99-98% signal on 101.119, etc. I will check the multi-switch model. Thanks

Aah, heard about the new Acutrac but didn’t think it was out yet. If the dish is working ok on 101, 110 , 119 and the multiswitch is correct and Ka transponders are available in Indy, I would be suspicious of the 99-101-103 LNB head. You can also try bypassing the B-band converter to see if it’s causing a problem. They are not used yet and a bad one could cause some unusual problems.
Bob
moonman said:

Sounds like the tech did not fine tune the dish. Most techs just align the dish to get the 101, 110, and the 119 and skip the fine tune part. The KA band is a very narrow band so if its not fine tune the 99 and 103 might not come in.

Bs, Bs. Birdog doesn’t work with the new Ka, it uses a different modulation scheme. The dog will go to 2150mhz with QPSK for DVB or DSS but not the future 250 to 750mhz band and no 8PSK.
Rick

dodge said:
Bs. any good installer will have a birdog and that meter will give you a signal for those 2 birds.

I’m not sure it’s necessary. The alignment procedure doesn’t use any Ka signals and with the current spot beams, you would need a different Birdog download for every area. Todays Birdog and 101/119 download work great.
Bob
Stargazer said:
I hope they have a new bird dog that will come out that will do the newer satellites and 8PSK.

Here in PHX AZ I am only picking up the 103 sate (Installed myself) - but - I get all of my HD Locals fine - I'm guessing there's no active spots for the 99 here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)