A 1 TB USB 3.0 Flash drive? Yep ... but it will be pricey

One has to wonder how many the government buys. They are the only ones I could see paying around $3k for a flash drive. I would hate to have a hole in my pocket...

Well on the bright side smaller sizes are coming down in price.I still love my kingston 16gb.Have used it for everything.Can get 64gb or maybe larger for what I paid for the 16Gb couple yrs ago.

One has to wonder how many the government buys. They are the only ones I could see paying around $3k for a flash drive. I would hate to have a hole in my pocket...

I have seen secure sticks, but they are lower capacity and a LOT pricier. These are of the sort where after a certain number of login attempts, the secure data is scrambled, and the stick melts down.

I suspect that procurement cycles would keep these things out of government programs, except as personal storage in IT type situations. My current project (network server on military aircraft) is just shipping, and secure storage is locked into 2 GB PCMCIA cards. USB sticks are explicitly locked out, even though the USB port is available.

Have no idea why someone would need something that large. I only use about 30 gigs on my main hard drive.

Think about DR and having a three of these for each platform and/or app environment. One offsite, one onsite and current, one onsite that's 1 week behind.

Lots of uses, that's one off the top of my head.

HD video content is another.1080P adds up real quick.Being able to take a 1tb flash drive full of HD content in your shirt pocket could be very handy.

with these flash drive coming out with larger capacities it will help lower the price of the flash drives with lower capacities. Eventually these larger flash drives will be much much cheaper and we will receive our content in this way instead of discs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My guess? Very few. Insecure as hell from an information walking out the door perspective.

I can assure you, this is very, very true. Filling previous ports with glue did not really work. There are security types that are going to be kept up at night over this. There are certain data files that would take many, many conventional thumb drives, and I'd guess as soon as 100 GB was hit, sweat pumps shifted to fast. No work need be done anymore to span a file across multiple sticks.

I have seen secure sticks, but they are lower capacity and a LOT pricier. These are of the sort where after a certain number of login attempts, the secure data is scrambled, and the stick melts down.

I suspect that procurement cycles would keep these things out of government programs, except as personal storage in IT type situations. My current project (network server on military aircraft) is just shipping, and secure storage is locked into 2 GB PCMCIA cards. USB sticks are explicitly locked out, even though the USB port is available.

Well, I haven't seen the "Mission Impossible" melt down feature, I did note that the encryption feature on a couple of thumb drives we had weren't being used. Too cumbersome, I guess, for the average user. Certainly slows things down.

And there are always ways of getting the latest and greatest, for some programs. I can't see the general military population being allowed to order thumb drives costing a few hundred dollars, much less a few thousand.

Well, I haven't seen the "Mission Impossible" melt down feature, I did note that the encryption feature on a couple of thumb drives we had weren't being used. Too cumbersome, I guess, for the average user. Certainly slows things down.

And there are always ways of getting the latest and greatest, for some programs. I can't see the general military population being allowed to order thumb drives costing a few hundred dollars, much less a few thousand.

Dunno, The PCMCIA memory has been locked into the contract for years. We discussed it during the phase 2 definition phase. It was the secondary effects of dealing with data security as well as physical security that kept it out.

Ironically, we are reduced to buying PCMCIA memory cards used off eBay for development and testing purposes, as they are not available on the retail market. Fortunately production quantities are Airbus' problem. Often this sort of trailing edge technology can be significantly more expensive, but the overall program limits due to the high testing and certification costs.

As I said, shouldn't be a problem for IT or anything that uses general computer resources, but we architecturally limit access paths in the embedded box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts