A $1299 1080p projector: Epson 8350

Sigh. Do we ever reach a point where our speakers are 'good enough'? Unfortunately, I am reaching the point where my aging ears are deteriorating enough that I won't get my money worth out of further upgrades. :(

I have been very happy with Bowers & Wilkins speakers. Happy enough to have 3 sets.

I used to think the same thing...until I picked-up a pair of Klipsch KLF-20s, KLF-10s and a C7 Center Surround. My next pair of speakers are going to be a new pair of Klipshorns. :)

Exactly my point. MY Klipsch KG-5s are very nice, but LaScalas would be even nicer, and if I could find an Acadamy center, I'd be in heaven. My current center is weak (RC-35) compared to the mains.

Just heard on the radio that HHGregg will have 20-30% off on all TV sets this Friday.
So, this projector should be again available for under $1000, if someone is interested.

Here is a write up by Evan Powell from Projector Central about bulbs from Epson.

Epson's Remarkable Lamp Guarantee
Evan Powell - Oct 20, 2010
At the bottom of our review on the Epson Home Cinema 8100 there are an unusual number of user comments expressing frustration with premature lamp failure.

I have spoken to Epson about this situation. They have looked into it and, like the dealers I talked to, they say they have not discovered any aberrant issues. Nevertheless, Epson wants to ensure customers that it stands behind its products. Therefore, Epson´s spokesperson has informed me that if you experience any problem with premature lamp failure on any Epson 1080p projector, you may return the lamp for a replacement lamp anytime during the life of the product´s warranty. Yes, you read that right-premature lamp failure on any Epson 1080p projector will be covered for the entire duration of the projector´s warranty, not the lamp´s warranty.

If you encounter an early lamp failure on any Epson 1080p model, Epson asks that you contact them directly at 800-637-7661 (use your PIN on PrivateLine Support Card).

In my view, this is a remarkably aggressive response on Epson´s part. To my knowledge, no other vendor offers this type of support when it comes to lamp performance. Hopefully it will put any concerns to rest on the part of those thinking of buying Epson 1080p home theater models.

Evan Powell
Editor

Well, my lamp just died last night (after 14 months and 2500 hours). I called Epson and, sure enough, they are overnighting me a replacement lamp free of charge. That's an excellent service from Epson!

diogen said:
Wow, that is about 6 hours a day!

Diogen.

That's about right. We watch TV a lot! And the front projector almost exclusively, ever since we bought it... :D

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Two years later and I still love this projector!

However, two annoying issues have developed overtime:
1. The fan noise has become much louder and rather distracting.
2. Dust blobs have accumulated somewhere inside the optics, showing up as gray circular spots visible in dark scenes.

Based on what I read on the Internet, both issues are rather typical for this projector, and are not easy to get rid of. Perhaps I should've cleaned the filter more often...

So, I called Epson (a week before the warranty expiration) and they are sending me a replacement unit. I know, it's going to be a refurb, but I'll take my chances, what do I have to lose?

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Epson customer service for their projectors is top notch.
I've had the same problem as you and swore off LCD projectors not soon after. No sealed light path equals dust blobs. DLP (though not many with lens sift) or JVC or Sony would be your best bet to avoid dust blobs.

The replacement unit has arrived. I didn't have a chance to play with my calibration disks yet, but the first impression is very good: the fan is not too noisy, there are no visible dust blobs, and the color convergence appears to be better than on my old unit. Plus I got a new lamp. So far so good!

I spoke too soon... :(

After spending some time with the new PJ and looking and test patterns, I realized that the replacement unit has some major issues. Primarily in the color uniformity: one side of the screen has a noticeably different tint compared to the other side, and most importantly the bottom of the screen has a very noticeable yellow tint. Not good! At least the dust blobs on my old unit are not visible except in very dark scenes. This yellow tint is visible on pretty much any programming. In addition, the convergence is not as good as I initially thought, and it is not uniform either. The replacement unit is going back, I am afraid...

Called Epson and they overnighted me another unit. This one works great! I see no issues at all. Much better!
Kudos to Epson customer care!

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

tigerfan33 said:
I've had the same problem as you and swore off LCD projectors not soon after.
Unfortunately my eyes do favor LCD over DLP. So I am sticking with LCD for now.

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)