A all-in-one remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
I was wondering if any of y'all use one of these remotes. I have been doing a little reseach and have found one at a decent price and it looks like it will do everything I need it to do. My main thing is it needs to control my 501's PVR functions.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000ALPBJ/103-9272107-5571055?v=glance

That is the one I am looking at. Anyone using that one. It is pretty new, I think that it just came out this month.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Harmony SST-659. There is a newer model out called the 688 I believe. Both of these products are more than $100, though. Check out web page www.harmonyremote.com

Good luck

I have the 659 and it's great. The 688 is set-up more for a PVR and I will probably get one when I get my 921.

jlugh,
The remote you are looking at is a good remote, but if you are using the RF capabilities of your present 301 remote, you will have a problem because this is an IR only remote. There are no universal remotes with can control E* receivers directly using RF. But, there is a way to still do so using a Powermid type repeater.

You can find out much more at:
http://www.remotecentral.com/

jlhugh said:
I was wondering if any of y'all use one of these remotes. I have been doing a little reseach and have found one at a decent price and it looks like it will do everything I need it to do. My main thing is it needs to control my 501's PVR functions.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000ALPBJ/103-9272107-5571055?v=glance

That is the one I am looking at. Anyone using that one. It is pretty new, I think that it just came out this month.

I use a Radio Shack 2116, which I believe costs around $30. I use it to control my Dish 510 and 811, Sony TV, Sony receiver, Sanyo projector, and Samsung DVD/VCR combo. Maybe not as fancy as the Prontos, Harmony's, etc. But, way cheaper.

I, too, have heard the Kameleon eats batteries.

DNC, I am setting up a home theater for a customer that has a 921 on order. I was going to order the new color Pronto, will it do descrete on-off with the programming included or will I have to download ? Also does anyone know what X-10 receiver will work with the Pronto to control lighting ?

Yep, i started reading the reviews after I posted and most of them complained about the batteries. One guy even took it a part and took out the motion sensor to save battery life.

I'll check into that radio shack model.

Thanks for the replies.

do you know if it works with the UHF modes of the dish receivers? This is something I have been looking for, but the UHF remote is the killer..

There are no universal/programmable remotes that will directly control Dishnetwork receivers using UHF (RF). None.

will the 921 work with both IR and RF at same time without changing the set-up ?

ken said:
DNC, I am setting up a home theater for a customer that has a 921 on order. I was going to order the new color Pronto, will it do descrete on-off with the programming included or will I have to download ? Also does anyone know what X-10 receiver will work with the Pronto to control lighting ?

Yep, it does descrete on-off, or you can download it into it if you've designed specific screens for specific functions. The Pronto Pro is very flexible in almost every respect.

You don't need X-10 to control lighting with the Pronto either. There are several models of IR lighting faders that work well and you can program their functions easily into the Pronto.

http://www.smarthome.com/2035.html

ken said:
will the 921 work with both IR and RF at same time without changing the set-up ?

Interesting question. I am wondering the same thing. I thought 921's and 811's were RF only remotes and used IR for controlling your VCR via IR Blast(or whatever it is called)

Nope, at least the 811 can be controlled via IR remote. And it uses the same codes as previous receivers.

I have a URC-6131 (with the JP1 connector added by the guy that runs hifi-remote.com). He also modified mine so that if needed, I could hit a button sequence to change addresses for the PVR and/or SAT buttons.

I highly recommend the URC-6131, but you need to get the one with the JP1 modification as out of the box, the remote has a couple of Dish buttons that don't seem to work right, and it only supports address 1.

Mark_AR said:
Interesting question. I am wondering the same thing. I thought 921's and 811's were RF only remotes and used IR for controlling your VCR via IR Blast(or whatever it is called)

Never had a problem operating my 811 with my Pronto. In fact, it uses the same IR codes my 5000 did...I didn't have to reprogram anything. That was nice. :D

I use an RCA 810 Universal Learning Remote with JP1 added. Built the fully working JP1 device myself and added the 6-pin connected soldered to the remotes main board.

Great thing about it is that you can learn/program anything controlled via IR into the remote. You can disable buttons so that an accidental click harms nothing. You can setup macros, etc.

I currently control my PVR 721, Panasonic E50S DVD Recorder, Sony PS2, RCA Home Theater, Hitachi HDTV, and an Air Conditioner all with this remote. I have a single macro setup so that it will power on/off certain units with a single click.

There are plenty of JP1 remotes out there. Find one that you think will suit you and have some fun. These things are great!

I use a Home Theater Master MX-700 and it is great. Go to the Home Theater Master website or remotecentral.com and download the tutorial and the MX Editor. I control my 811 with it as well as all other equipment and lights. There is nothing that I have that it can't control. Macros are simple to program. All programming is done through the PC. The IR emitters are strong and the battery life is good. I highly recommend it. Check ebay.

I second the Home Theater Master remote recommendation. I have a MX-500 and love it. I bought a Harmony 659 for my wife and was less than impressed with it.

NightRyder

ItamaeChef said:
There are plenty of JP1 remotes out there. Find one that you think will suit you and have some fun. These things are great!

I agree... if you are a programmer or really technically inclined... it is hard to beat the flexibility and fun of a JP1 remote.

Especially if you start installing extenders and custom protocols.

My $20 8810w will outdo most of the high end remotes, functionality wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts