A Big Delimma

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
My apartment building just sold ,and we have been notified by New landlord that he wants all Satellite dishes removed within next year,or as soon as are contracts are fullfilled.Basically no new Dishes allowed on property.I have to comply as I cant afford to move.He has contracted with Comcast Cable to give us a 15 % discount(after first years specials).
My question is ,has anyone else been forced out of using a Dish because Landlords dont like ..I am fortunately in an area that has a good amount of HD channels,but just wonder about picture quality..I will miss Dishnetwork..

Someone with more "antenna rights" knowledge will jump in, but in general if the dish is in a private use area, like on your balcony, they can't prohibit it. If it's on the roof or other common area, then you're usually out of luck.

As long as the dish is on your balcony or in an area exclusively used by you your landlord is breaking the law. Tell him to check out the FCC specifically otard.

Your landlord cannot, and I repeat CANNOT tell you that you can't have a satellite dish. You are only restricted like others have pointed out where you can have a dish installed. This is very fishy to me and I was wondering why until I read what you posted about the discount that your landlord is getting from the cable company. That's why he wants to have all satellite dishes removed. I bet he gets more of a deal/break with the more people he has subscribed to cable.

My apartment building just sold ,and we have been notified by New landlord that he wants all Satellite dishes removed within next year,or as soon as are contracts are fullfilled.Basically no new Dishes allowed on property.I have to comply as I cant afford to move.He has contracted with Comcast Cable to give us a 15 % discount(after first years specials).
My question is ,has anyone else been forced out of using a Dish because Landlords dont like ..I am fortunately in an area that has a good amount of HD channels,but just wonder about picture quality..I will miss Dishnetwork..

If you like Dish Network, you may want to fight to keep it. It sounds like you have a legal right to subscribe to the television provider of your choice.

Having said that, getting cable's usual first year promotional offer and than 15% off their regular rate for as long as you stay a subscriber sounds like a pretty good deal to me. In your shoes, I'd be tempted to make the switch. 15% is a decent chunk of change for a long term thing (Versus a limited time promotional rate), especially if it includes both your television and Internet bills. I've never seen any television provider (including cable) offer that in my area. It's all limited time promotional offers followed by a way too expensive regular rate. Cable once gave me a 6-month loyalty discount at one point when I called and asked, but after that they said pay the regular rate or quit (I wound up leaving for Dish).

the new landlord sound like he is being reasonable, most of the time when management changes they tell the resident to remove the dish NOW, I hate going to this type of call. that said read OTAR rules dish may be in space which is under exclusive use and control. it may not encroch on to common space (ie. hang over a balcony) and remember most railings are considered common space. The landlord can also not allow any penitrations(NO HOLES) of the wall so it must come in through door way or window. This is the best interpertation of ORTAR I have been following. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)