A Couple of Questions Before I Take the Plunge

endeitz

Original poster
May 7, 2008
I am planning to sign up for the dishHD-only package, which is the best thing to come out from cable/satellite in a long time. I am dumping Time-Warner cable, which has been sucktacular from the start. However, I have a couple of questions if you guys could be so kind.

1. I have a single RG6 cable (installed when the house was built) from outside running between floors to our living room, which is in the interior of the house. Running new cable would be very difficult. Can the current single RG6 cable be used, or must a new one be run?

2. I think the view of the southern sky is OK at my place, but it is not a slam dunk, due to trees. Is there a way to have someone test this before I commit to the full installation?

Thanks,

Ed.

I am planning to sign up for the dishHD-only package, which is the best thing to come out from cable/satellite in a long time. I am dumping Time-Warner cable, which has been sucktacular from the start. However, I have a couple of questions if you guys could be so kind.

1. I have a single RG6 cable (installed when the house was built) from outside running between floors to our living room, which is in the interior of the house. Running new cable would be very difficult. Can the current single RG6 cable be used, or must a new one be run?

2. I think the view of the southern sky is OK at my place, but it is not a slam dunk, due to trees. Is there a way to have someone test this before I commit to the full installation?

Thanks,

Ed.

#1. :welcome to satguys!!

okay to answer your questions, With A Dish Pro Switch, you will be fine, I have a single wire run to my 722 and I can use both tuners, so no worries there, can you tell us what all you are having installed?

#2. the installer will let you know if you can do it before they even put the dish up on the house, talk it over with them at the time they arrive...and to be honest if it looks like it could be tricky some techs will walk away from the job before they even attempt an install, so again before you sign a commitment you will know.

James
"stuart628"

any more questions, and also if you could answer what you are having installed we can help more.

1. Yes, the single line will work. The installer may have to splice on a little extra pending location of the Sat.

2. Pending you location and LOS, Sat 129 (HD sat) is lower on the SW horizon than 110 and 119 (from which you will get SD counterparts). It could happen that you would need (and would want for future HD locals) a dish for 61.5 that looks higher to the SE. In any case, if the install would need to be aborted because of LOS, the install would just be cancelled, with no charge to you.

1. Yes, the single line will work. The installer may have to splice on a little extra pending location of the Sat.

2. Pending you location and LOS, Sat 129 (HD sat) is lower on the SW horizon than 110 and 119 (from which you will get SD counterparts). It could happen that you would need (and would want for future HD locals) a dish for 61.5 that looks higher to the SE. In any case, if the install would need to be aborted because of LOS, the install would just be cancelled, with no charge to you.

thats a good point, depending on his location he might need 61.5 anyways for HD locals.

Thanks for the quick replies. How can I ensure that the installer brings a "Dish Pro" switch? I am planning on ordering the dishHD-only service, with locals, and the DVR (622/722?).

Higher elevation angles are fine, it is the lower one that I am worried about. I am in Central Texas, and I thought my low elevation is around 45 degrees, although I am not up to date on all of the satellites.

Thanks,

Ed.

Thanks for the quick replies. How can I ensure that the installer brings a "Dish Pro" switch? I am planning on ordering the dishHD-only service, with locals, and the DVR (622/722?).

Higher elevation angles are fine, it is the lower one that I am worried about. I am in Central Texas, and I thought my low elevation is around 45 degrees, although I am not up to date on all of the satellites.

Thanks,

Ed.
It's part of a standard install. He will have all that is needed.

Thanks,

Ed.

Should have said technology instead of switch ...if you are having just a 722 installed you are fine, what locals do you get as Texas locals are on 61.5 so you would need a dish 500 at 110/119, and another dish to 61.5.

Should have said technology instead of switch ...if you are having just a 722 installed you are fine, what locals do you get as Texas locals are on 61.5 so you would need a dish 500 at 110/119, and another dish to 61.5.

Depending on RSN, he may need a 1000.2 and another on 61.5

If eneitz TX HDLocals are on 61.5, then would he be able to get all HDOnlyPackage just from the single dish single LNB once the following change to AVAILABLE ?
UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 04-24-2008 16:02:15 TO 04-24-2008 16:03:19 ET

Code:
[SIZE='2']
[B] 7 ADD(S)[/B]

ADD  9420   TNT MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 90

ADD  9421 HDTHR MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 90

ADD  9422 HDNET MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 90

ADD  9423 HDNMV MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 90

ADD  9424  ESPN MPEG4 HD Tp 21 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 90
[/QUOTE]

If eneitz TX HDLocals are on 61.5, then would he be able to get all HDOnlyPackage just from the single dish single LNB once the following change to AVAILABLE ?
His problem with one dish will be the same as mine. I would like to convert to just the one dish pointed at 61.5 but the EEPG, 9 day program guide, still only comes from 119.

It is really amazing the wealth of combined knowledge on this board. I am cautiously optimistic about the install.

By the way, the Dish site reports that I can get the following locals:

AUSTIN ABC-KVUE 24 8250
AUSTIN ABC-KVUE IN HD * 24 5180
AUSTIN CBS-KEYE 42 8251
AUSTIN CBS-KEYE IN HD * 42 5181
AUSTIN FOX-KTBC 7 8253
AUSTIN FOX-KTBC IN HD * 7 5183
AUSTIN MNT-KNVA 54 8254
AUSTIN NBC-KXAN 36 8252
AUSTIN NBC-KXAN IN HD * 36 5182
AUSTIN PBS-KLRU 18 8256
AUSTIN UNVSN-KAKW 62 8258

I'm pretty stoked, although my wife will be mad about PBS not being in HD. I think we can get it OTA though.

Thanks again for all of the information.

Ed.

I'm in Central Texas with Austin Locals and the dishHD (only) package.

Any day now (AKA "soon"), you will only need one dish for 61.5 and it's kissin' cousins on the Eastern Arc. But at this very moment, the most flexible setup is a Dish 1000.2 (for 129, 119, 110) and a Dish 500 (for 61.5) which requires a single coax cable from the Dish 1000.2 to the ViP622/722.

Talon Dancer

I'm in Central Texas with Austin Locals and the dishHD (only) package.

Any day now (AKA "soon"), you will only need one dish for 61.5 and it's kissin' cousins on the Eastern Arc. But at this very moment, the most flexible setup is a Dish 1000.2 (for 129, 119, 110) and a Dish 500 (for 61.5) which requires a single coax cable from the Dish 1000.2 to the ViP622/722.

Talon Dancer

OK, now I have two more questions:

1. In the above quote, you note that the setup requires a single coax cable from the Dish 1000.2 to the ViP622/722. What is the Dish 500 hooked up to?

2. Do I need to worry about the installer just giving me one dish (i.e. pointed at 61.5) and not realizing I need the second dish (pointed at a different bird(s)) to get the 9-day EEPG? Is there some sort of lower quality EPG that comes off 61.5 that the installer might say is "good enough"?

Thanks,

Ed.

OK, now I have two more questions:

1. In the above quote, you note that the setup requires a single coax cable from the Dish 1000.2 to the ViP622/722. What is the Dish 500 hooked up to?

2. Do I need to worry about the installer just giving me one dish (i.e. pointed at 61.5) and not realizing I need the second dish (pointed at a different bird(s)) to get the 9-day EEPG? Is there some sort of lower quality EPG that comes off 61.5 that the installer might say is "good enough"?

Thanks,

Ed.
1. One of the nice things about the Dish 1000.2 is that you can attach a Dish 500 to it via coax and get 4 Sats (129/119/110 and 61.5) with only one length of coax to the receiver.

2. I doubt that the installer would try to use a single dish pointed at 61.5. Some of the "legacy" MPEG2 HD channels (including ESPN and TNT) are still on 110/119. As JH1949 pointed out, several of these were up-linked to 61.5 but they are not yet available. So all you have to do is say you want ALL the HD channels and that requires a dish for 110/119 (e.g. the Dish 1000.2). FWIW no one has posted that they know when those "legacy" HD channels on 61.5 will be made available. It could be this week. But it could be that Dish will wait for the full Eastern Arc to be populated. I certainly would not gamble that this will happen quickly.

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts