A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

That is one scary dude. I wouldn't want him and his team within 50 miles of my neighborhood.

Do you know that he wears 3" lifts in his boots so that he looks taller on TV?

Don't know why. I don't think he needs to be taller- when he shows up unexpected in front of some guy, he's pretty much that guy's nightmare no matter what. :p

It's not a burger- it's chopped steak! ;) :rolleyes:

It's not a burger- it's chopped steak! ;) :rolleyes:

I know this has nothing to do with the discussion but I like your signature here. My wife and I went out to eat one night and I saw chopped steak on the menu. I didn't know what it was. I thought it was really chopped up steak. It was around 8 bucks and a burger was 6. I ordered the chopped steak and my wife ordered a burger. When the food came I had a burger with no bun for $2 more than her burger. I was tempted to ask for a bun and some cheese and to take $2 off my bill. Oh, well.

Dish uses dynamic bandwidth algorithms that allot bandwidth according to the needs of the channel, so SD on an HD channel would use a lot less bandwidth.

Last edited:
The more I watch this channel the more I get the feeling that either A&E or E* (or both, but probably the latter) is pulling some funny stuff.

Don't get me wrong....I like the idea that we're getting more HD channels and as time goes on more and more of the shows on A&E HD are being broadcast in HD (e.g. Driving Force, Cold Case Files, The First 48, Gene Simmons, King of Cars, CSI:NY) but I've seen cases where a new (i.e. 2007) show @10PM (EDT) is broadcast in HD and right after that an even newer episode of the SAME series is shown in SD. I'm wondering if E* is cutting A&EHD to A&EnotHD at the times it may need the bandwidth (for example, when a CI or LP HD game is shown). Of course if, technically, this can't be done then I'm wrong but I'm just curious why new episodes of a show are in HD while newer episodes of the SAME show are in SD.

If I'm right and E* is playing fast and loose with the bandwidth then A&E must have been REALLY desperate to get E* to carry the channel to allow this sort of thing.

=NLK=

Edit: If you go over to the "other" forum you'll see a thread with some posts about this very thing. "Good news" is that it appears to be happening on other carriers besides E*. WHY it is happening appears to be anyone's guess.

Last edited:
...but I've seen cases where a new (i.e. 2007) show @10PM (EDT) is broadcast in HD and right after that an even newer episode of the SAME series is shown in SD. I'm wondering if E* is cutting A&EHD to A&EnotHD at the times it may need the bandwidth...
Got examples ?? A&E's schedule doesn't differentiate their standard channel and their HD channel (because it shows the same programming). TitanTV doesn't seem to know that Dish carries A&E HD yet....

Got examples ?? A&E's schedule doesn't differentiate their standard channel and their HD channel (because it shows the same programming). TitanTV doesn't seem to know that Dish carries A&E HD yet....

I'll try to get specific ones but last night (or the night before), I believe, there were 2 or three episodes of a series involving Aaron Spelling's family. The one airing at 10:30PM was HD, the one @11PM was SD, and they both were part of the 2007 series (although to be fair it's hard to tell which one came first). I checked 9467 and an NBA LP game was airing @11PM. I'm certain this sort of thing also happened with Driving Force and The First 48.

I'll keep an eye out for specifics in the future (just for sh*ts and giggles) but it's happened four or five times and (I have nothing else to do) I always look to see if the episode in SD has a 2007 date or not.

=NLK=

The more I watch this channel the more I get the feeling that either A&E or E* (or both, but probably the latter) is pulling some funny stuff.

Don't get me wrong....I like the idea that we're getting more HD channels and as time goes on more and more of the shows on A&E HD are being broadcast in HD (e.g. Driving Force, Cold Case Files, The First 48, Gene Simmons, King of Cars, CSI:NY) but I've seen cases where a new (i.e. 2007) show @10PM (EDT) is broadcast in HD and right after that an even newer episode of the SAME series is shown in SD. I'm wondering if E* is cutting A&EHD to A&EnotHD at the times it may need the bandwidth (for example, when a CI or LP HD game is shown). Of course if, technically, this can't be done then I'm wrong but I'm just curious why new episodes of a show are in HD while newer episodes of the SAME show are in SD.

If I'm right and E* is playing fast and loose with the bandwidth then A&E must have been REALLY desperate to get E* to carry the channel to allow this sort of thing.

=NLK=

Edit: If you go over to the "other" forum you'll see a thread with some posts about this very thing. "Good news" is that it appears to be happening on other carriers besides E*. WHY it is happening appears to be anyone's guess.

Don't get hung up on this theory... there's plenty of bandwidth to spare on the A&E TP's on 61.5 and 129. There's no need do cut it back...

Don't get hung up on this theory... there's plenty of bandwidth to spare on the A&E TP's on 61.5 and 129. There's no need do cut it back...

Well, I'm no expert on that sort of thing so I'll defer to you (and others), but I gotta tell ya.......if there's no shortage of bandwidth why can they only show ONE of the following at a time: CIHD game, LPHD game, HD PPV? To make more money they would at LEAST show more HD PPV, one would think.

As I say, though, I do appreciate E* giving us as many HD channels as they do, and am glad (perversely) to hear that this inexplicable HD/SD switch with A&E HD is not restricted to Dish.

=NLK=

Well, I'm no expert on that sort of thing so I'll defer to you (and others), but I gotta tell ya.......if there's no shortage of bandwidth why can they only show ONE of the following at a time: CIHD game, LPHD game, HD PPV? To make more money they would at LEAST show more HD PPV, one would think.

As I say, though, I do appreciate E* giving us as many HD channels as they do, and am glad (perversely) to hear that this inexplicable HD/SD switch with A&E HD is not restricted to Dish.

=NLK=

A&EHD is over on 61.5 and 129. You are talking about CONUS bandwidth on 110W with the HDPPV's which comes at a premium....not a lot of room there.

I'll try to get specific ones but last night (or the night before), I believe, there were 2 or three episodes of a series involving Aaron Spelling's family. The one airing at 10:30PM was HD, the one @11PM was SD, and they both were part of the 2007 series (although to be fair it's hard to tell which one came first). I checked 9467 and an NBA LP game was airing @11PM. I'm certain this sort of thing also happened with Driving Force and The First 48.

I'll keep an eye out for specifics in the future (just for sh*ts and giggles) but it's happened four or five times and (I have nothing else to do) I always look to see if the episode in SD has a 2007 date or not.

=NLK=

Yes! I noticed that as well, and was quite perplexed. Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, Driving Force, King of Cars are all examples of the mysterious backtracking to SD from HD.

Only thing I can think of, other than technical reasons, is that they shoot their so-called "reality" shows out of order, and assembled footage for different episodes from SD recordings and HD recordings. However, that would be foolish seeing that they have their own HD channel, and people watching would start to wonder. Yet, here we are, starting to wonder what the deal is.

Google and Echostar Partner for Advertising

Problems with HD 129

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)