A few questions about reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Thanks to all in the past for help with reception issues. It seems to be much improved after complete rewiring, new weather boots, aiming, getting it up, etc.1) It seems at night my reception "quality" (according to new tv with what seems to be a better tuner) shows, but it shows QUALITY, not a particular strength. But I tend to get slight pixelation more at night. I do have a new preamp attatched as well. Without it, signal is not usable. Is it overamping due to my reception getting better at night? I know there are multiple factors including humidity, atmosphere (can receive reliably CW 30 from Knoxville all night..weird) Most signals are approx 35mi away by air...obviously terrain doesn't help but it is much improved. Total wiring about 50-75ft, no splitters and no couplers. Even put electrical tape around boots to seal. 2) How close does lightning have to be to cause pixelation? Obviously the more intense, it seems the farther it can be as the atmosphere is "charged and primed.." like tonight. Signal quality is 92 but some pixelation. Thanks to all.

It is entirely possible that your amp is too hot. It is also possible that it is bringing in some competing stations at night. This is a likely situation when you're located in the middle of nowhere and "skip" is just as likely to reach you as your local broadcasters. This interference isn't easy to deal with and better tuners may help.

Signal strength isn't something you can measure without instruments and instruments that measure TV signals are surprisingly few and expensive.

Tuners (that have to make the best of whatever situation they're in) employ Automatic Gain Control so the output has been bumped up or down in accordance with the signal level. This is why the results of tuners like the HDHomerun should be mostly ignored (since they don't show their pre-AGC numbers).

Reactions: andy_horton
It is entirely possible that your amp is too hot. It is also possible that it is bringing in some competing stations at night. This is a likely situation when you're located in the middle of nowhere and "skip" is just as likely to reach you as your local broadcasters. This interference isn't easy to deal with and better tuners may help.

Signal strength isn't something you can measure without instruments and instruments that measure TV signals are surprisingly few and expensive.

Tuners (that have to make the best of whatever situation they're in) employ Automatic Gain Control so the output has been bumped up or down in accordance with the signal level. This is why the results of tuners like the HDHomerun should be mostly ignored (since they don't show their pre-AGC numbers).
Thanks, harshness. I kinda figured the amp was overkilling, especially at night. You and I have dicussed my antenna situation before and you know I've had issues. It it weren't more of a "hobby" (I don't like to lose to things of this nature) I'd given up..thanks for your help!