A few ?'s before dumping TWC for DISH

StormyQ

Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the fantastic information here. I tried to do a little reading and searching but I apologize if this has been answered before.

I have long considered satellite but couldn't pull the trigger until my nice promotional pricing w/ Comcast ended. I also wanted to wait until DISH started offering HD locals in the Dallas market. I am all about HD...

When going through the DISH builder, it gave me the option of not selecting an 18-month committment. Besides the $49.99 that is credited on your 1st bill w/ the 18-month contract, it says you also get the DishHome Protection Plan free.

So is it stupid not to do the contract? Will I not get technical support? What about replacement equipment? If I'm paying the $199 lease upgrade fee for the 622 and something happens to it, am I out of pocket for another one? And do they not come inside my house for service?

Thanks!

edit: I mean to post this in the main DISH forum, not the HD sub-forum. Sorry!

StormyQ said:
So is it stupid not to do the contract? Will I not get technical support? What about replacement equipment? If I'm paying the $199 lease upgrade fee for the 622 and something happens to it, am I out of pocket for another one? And do they not come inside my house for service?

If you think you will be leaving Dish within 18 months, then it's not wise to get the commitment. Of course Dish may argue this point, but if we are paying a premium and leasing the equipment, they should continue to support it for as long as we have it. I'm not sure if there are any upgrade assurances during the 18 months, as I'm new to the leasing game as well. (I had Dish service previously and owned all 4 of my older receivers)

I had the same question about the $49 fee & 18 month commitment when I signed up last month. I had a dish referral which waived the fee but still got the 18 month requirement. Attempted to talk Dish out of the 18 months but they would not back off. I did not consider it a big enough issue to kill the deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts