A Friends FTA Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nov-01

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
SC
just the other day I received this note from the fella I bought a spare dish from (that I then returned due to mounting gear missing)...anyways He had been having a Heck of a time getting his dish to see G19, his questions follows.

..."I thought I might give you my latest update. I have been having trouble with Galaxy 19 for the longest time. I recently lost the Galaxy 19 signal when I was fiddling with other satellite signals. The only signal I was able to get was Galaxy 3C which supposedly was on 95W. Since I knew I was on 95W I figured if I moved the satellite clockwise by 2 degrees I would get 97W. However I found out that this is incorrect. I had to move it counter-clockwise by 2 degrees. I still don't understand this. Can you explain?
Anyway I finally managed to find Galaxy 19 2 days ago. I have been trying nearly everyday to find it. However the signal was on 25% at best. I finally managed to cut down a tree. Signal was still not getting better until I finally realized that my dish was warped. I replaced the dish with the one you returned and wallah, I got 58% now. It has been a host of problems but now I am locked in and I can see about 200 channels.
Thanks for all the help."...

Can anyone answer the bold print in an easy to explain/understand way?

He said the dish was warped. Answered his own question. If it's still happening on the replacement dish.It would suggest some serious lobe issues and you need to check LNBF positioning.

How did he know that the dish was aimed at 95w? Scanned and watching channels or had a signal reading?

If it was based on only a signal quality reading, it could be a transponder with similar parameters giving a false positive.

Yeah I bet he was on 99W satellite, but had the receiver set for 95W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)