A hurricane is coming, what about the dish?

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Should I take down the dish since a hurricane is coming here in NW florida? I mean I wouldn't want it to be a projectile flying around possibly hitting someones house. It survived Ivan last year but this is a much bigger hurricane. Think it should be good? It's a superdish mounted on a pole in my backyard.

Definately take it down. This one looks like it will hit you and there is no reason to lose it or become a projectile. Just removing the reflector should be sufficient. I am thanking God that I am on the Southeast Coast right now.

Good luck and be safe,

PILMAN said:
Should I take down the dish since a hurricane is coming here in NW florida? I mean I wouldn't want it to be a projectile flying around possibly hitting someones house. It survived Ivan last year but this is a much bigger hurricane. Think it should be good? It's a superdish mounted on a pole in my backyard.
Be sure and use a permanent magic marker and mark where the reflector clamps to the pipe

John Walsh said:
I am thanking God that I am on the Southeast Coast right now.

Good luck and be safe,

John, like you, I'm thankful that it is going west of me here in Fort Myers. Pilman, I hope all you panhandlers get through this one.

It would be simpler and quicker to just take the reflector off that way its only four easy bolts to take off and the dish will not be off of alignment and be a lot more likely to stay up than if it had that windload of that reflector on the mast.

If I were you I'd be worrying about more important things than a dish, but I can't blame ya either. Good luck, and I hope that nobody gets affected at all by this hurricane :\

I have a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 and I am not taking mine down. The wind might turn it, but I do not believe that it will blow it away. Ivan blowed away the shingles on my roof, my Magnolia tree, my privacy fence and my mesh 12 foot bud, but not either of my little dishes.

A second hurricane might do the dishes in.

My dish stayed up last year for francis, but jeanne knocked it down. Granted after francis the bolts got jerked loose and I had to re-align, so it deffienetly wasn't up there strong enough during jeanne

sorry to pee on your post, my family would be the most important issue now, ANY dish would be at the least concern column.

take care of YOU first

good luck

My Dish500 was fine for Ivan but I have a SuperDish now and a 24-inch single, much more surface area to get caught in the wind. I'll be yanking them off the poles as we leave for a slightly safer building. I'm not touching the PrimeStar, if that thing moves then my house probably isn't there anymore either.

To combat boredom I will chronicle my experience of Dennis here: http://dennis.pepper.net/

take um down. I took mine down twice last year for Jean and Francis. I live in West Palm Beach. I unscrewed the mounting bracket from the house, so when I put it back, everything would be pointing in the same direction a before.

Take down the dish. Of course make all necessary markings so you can put it up again. First off Ivan wasn't all that horrible, its winds were weakening when it made landfall and if the truth be known it was at best a minimal cat 3. This one could still do that, but its best to assume it won't. At the current strength this storm will hit with 75% more force.

The main reason to take the dish down is that such things often become projectiles. A vast majority of damage done by wind is caused by such projectiles. Remember one such impact can cost the whole house of the victim since once a wall is broken the house is effectively doomed. So be a good neighbor and take that and all other furniture into a safe place.

Patrick

The hurricane was pretty weak. Just a small dent on the dish but everything appears fine. The reason I mentioned it is I didn't WANT the dish to be a projectile. I took everything out of my yard to reduce damage hence the reason for the question so nobody got hurt from it. Ever seen a coconut flying at 130 mph? not pretty. Imagine a dish....

PILMAN said:
The hurricane was pretty weak. Just a small dent on the dish but everything appears fine. The reason I mentioned it is I didn't WANT the dish to be a projectile. I took everything out of my yard to reduce damage hence the reason for the question so nobody got hurt from it. Ever seen a coconut flying at 130 mph? not pretty. Imagine a dish....

Unfortunately, here in Milton, it was not pretty weak! I took mine down, but some who did not got whacked! The county suffered 4 million plus dollars in damage on top of Ivans destruction. Ft. Walton, and Pensacola dodged the bullet, but we did not! :eek:

Mickdog said:
Unfortunately, here in Milton, it was not pretty weak! I took mine down, but some who did not got whacked! The county suffered 4 million plus dollars in damage on top of Ivans destruction. Ft. Walton, and Pensacola dodged the bullet, but we did not! :eek:
I'm in Pace and got clobbered. 8 panels out of my 10' C-band, 32"--61.5 and Dish500 both hit by a pine tree and also Directv also. House ok but 30 trees for this one and 40 from Ivan, I should become a pulpwood salesman.

sateck01 said:
sorry to pee on your post, my family would be the most important issue now, ANY dish would be at the least concern column.

take care of YOU first

good luck

maybe he is concerned with the safety of his neighbor. Not getting decapitated by his flying dish:rolleyes:

Yeah I guess we were lucky this year I don't know how badly you guys got hit by Ivan by Fort Walton got hit REALLY hard. I don't ever want to live the experience like I did with Ivan. I evacuated this time but last year it was impossible to sleep because those winds were pretty damn scary. The aftermath made our place look like a warzone and there were boats all over the place, floods all over, trees down, powerlines down. Took 2 weeks to get power and it sucked everyday. When we got power back I was so relieved but cox cable was down for like a month, no internet but at least I had tv :)

PILMAN said:
Yeah I guess we were lucky this year I don't know how badly you guys got hit by Ivan by Fort Walton got hit REALLY hard. I don't ever want to live the experience like I did with Ivan. I evacuated this time but last year it was impossible to sleep because those winds were pretty damn scary. The aftermath made our place look like a warzone and there were boats all over the place, floods all over, trees down, powerlines down. Took 2 weeks to get power and it sucked everyday. When we got power back I was so relieved but cox cable was down for like a month, no internet but at least I had tv :)

Santa Rosa County was pummelled by Ivan! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts