A La Carte regulation needs to exist.

Dished Off

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Scranton
When I go to the store I can choose to just by Coke products and not be forced to take packages that also include Pepsi products. I do not see how FOX Networks should be allowed to legally draw up contracts forcing providers to include their stuff into packages that include channels from other broadcasters such as in base packages. This needs to go to court to get these types of contracts invalidated. Or congress needs to do something.There should just be a Fox Networks package, and if I want it, I will buy it if I like the price or not. Tell me, how are they allowed to get away with this in a free market economy?

Here is Former Fox COO Chase Carey: Fox COO Chase Carey: 'A La Carte Cable is a Farce'

Last edited:
There should just be a Fox Networks package, and if I want it, I will buy it if I like the price or not. Tell me, how are they allowed to get away with this in a free market economy?
Do you want the truth or what their lobbyist says?

Absolutely.

Remember the golden rule:

The guy with the gold makes the rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Let's be honest. I'd rather pay the equal amount of money for the few channels that I watch, then pay for channels that are niche and don't do a service outside its niche viewership. When I want to pay for the likes of TBS and TNT, yet have to pay for HGTV and Food Network. Good lord, we have a channel dedicated food. I make fun of wife all the time for watching it. Why the (explative) in everything that is good in this world, does a 24/7 channel about food exist? Then add that we also have a Cooking Channel, now that's two channels. And we wonder why we have an obesity epidemic in this country.

Back to the point, I rather pay more to a network that I watch.

Because we enjoy watching it.

Because we learn new techniques.

Because we get recipes to try.

Because we get equipment reviews we can actually believe.

Let's be honest. I'd rather pay the equal amount of money for the few channels that I watch, then pay for channels that are niche and don't do a service outside its niche viewership. When I want to pay for the likes of TBS and TNT, yet have to pay for HGTV and Food Network. Good lord, we have a channel dedicated food. I make fun of wife all the time for watching it. Why the (explative) in everything that is good in this world, does a 24/7 channel about food exist? Then add that we also have a Cooking Channel, now that's two channels. And we wonder why we have an obesity epidemic in this country.

Back to the point, I rather pay more to a network that I watch.

That's why I have always favored a tiered system, based on genre.

Flex pack is a step in the right direction. Separate add-ons for sports, both regional and national, news, variety, locals, etc. all available to pay for or not pay for on a pro-rated daily basis.

I'm hoping that as time goes on, more negotiations will provide for more channels added to existing and new "tiers."

Canada is doing some kind of a la carte that the previous government instituted. It has not been a resounding success, and some say it is driving their cord cutting phenomenon:

Canada's Effort to Stem Cord-Cutting Has Been an Epic Fail
But at least it keeps the control in the hands of the consumer. If the new ala carte model can't compete with cord cutting options, then as has been demonstrated, the added fees and individual ala carte price points are too high, and still not attractive enough. Supply and demand. It has failed because the corporations are still trying to draw in the same revenue levels.

But at least it keeps the control in the hands of the consumer. If the new ala carte model can't compete with cord cutting options, then as has been demonstrated, the added fees and individual ala carte price points are too high, and still not attractive enough. Supply and demand. It has failed because the corporations are still trying to draw in the same revenue levels.

Essentially it didn't work as planned. It is kind of like the Dish Flex Pack, and that isn't exactly stopping cord cutting in the US, no matter how nice it is.

Essentially it didn't work as planned. It is kind of like the Dish Flex Pack, and that isn't exactly stopping cord cutting in the US, no matter how nice it is.

It would create a new thing called "Cord Shaving" For example one would get the Disney/ABC/ESPN channels for $20 something and just use and antenna for the OTA channels. On its own ESPN channels could be worth $15 or so. In packages the cost ends up being unfairly redistributed across all subscribers. Like with AT&T's HBO and others wanting non-premium subscribers to foot part of the cost as do the other premium channels.

Because we enjoy watching it.

Because we learn new techniques.

Because we get recipes to try.

Because we get equipment reviews we can actually believe.

I’m guessing you haven’t watched either channel lately? Food Network is nothing but reality and competition shows and Cooking Channel airs past seasons of Food Network shows. It hasn’t been the channel of Emeril, Racheal and Paula showing you how to make a dish and then pull a prepared one out of the oven for a decade and a half or longer. Although Cooking Channel used to air archived Food Network programming that was more instructional, now it's just a Food Network clone.

Granted, I loved Cupcake Wars, and Food Truck Road Race is something I look forward to every summer, but Food Network, like many other channels is nothing like it used to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)