A little 301 help?

Mike_Post

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
I moved one of my 301's into my basement, and it goes through the searching for signal, and downloading guide every time I turn it on. (my other 301 & 501 seem to be just fine)

What's weirderer, is sometimes it seems if I leave it on, & turn the TV off, it will do the same thing when the TV is turned back on later.

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet. I figured I would ask, just in case you folks already know what the problem could be.

Thanks

Mike_Post

Turning the TV on/off can have NO effect - unless you're also killing power to the receiver in the process - like if you're using a wall-switched socket.

Why don't you just swap your two 301's and then tell us the one now in the basement is doing the same thing, while the 'bad' one is now fine. Then we'll tell you to check the cables to the basement. Otherwise, we'll tell you to get a replacement 301. :)

SimpleSimon said:
Turning the TV on/off can have NO effect - unless you're also killing power to the receiver in the process - like if you're using a wall-switched socket.

I know that, but it sure seems like it did!

SimpleSimon said:
Why don't you just swap your two 301's and then tell us the one now in the basement is doing the same thing, while the 'bad' one is now fine. Then we'll tell you to check the cables to the basement. Otherwise, we'll tell you to get a replacement 301. :)

But I don't FEEL like doing any troubleshooting. I want you to figure it out for me. ;) I'll try that out when I get home tonight.

Thanks.

It sounds like you could also be having a "brown out" condition on your electric line. When you turn on your TV it could be dropping the voltage just enough to cause the 301 to reset itself. How old is your TV? How old is the wiring in your house?

The only way we can figure out what is wrong is for you to swap out the receiver so we can tell if it is a problem with the that receiver or somewhere in the wire going to that specific receiver.

dlsnyder said:
It sounds like you could also be having a "brown out" condition on your electric line. When you turn on your TV it could be dropping the voltage just enough to cause the 301 to reset itself. How old is your TV? How old is the wiring in your house?

The TV is around 7-10 yrs old, House wiring is probably circa 1970-something.

FWIW, you can tell when the AC kicks on in the house, most of the lights in any room dim or blink.

Does that mean anything?

I'm no electrician, obviously.

Thanks.

SimpleSimon said:
Stargazer - he said he was gonna do that. He's being nicely sarcastic - he'll fit right in around here! :D

Sarcastic? Me? Bah. :p

I'll try to do that tonight. Got tied up.

Dimming lights, etc. is DEFINITELY brown-out! The receiver is probably resetting every time that happens.

The quick fix is to get a small (cheap) computer UPS (battery box). They also have surge protectors built-in - and it soudns like you really should have that too - any time you get a brown-out, you get a surge on the other end.

Just thought I would stop in & let you know what the final result was......

Switched socket!!! It's the only one on the switch in the entire basement. (there are 18 others)

The switch is UPSTAIRS, and it controls the light in the stairwell to the basement, and that ONE outlet.

How I found out... Wife was on treadmill, watching Dr. Phil, & I hit the switch accidentally upstairs... :rolleyes:

Ugh.

What a dork I am.

Mike_Post said:
Just thought I would stop in & let you know what the final result was......

Switched socket!!! It's the only one on the switch in the entire basement. (there are 18 others)

The switch is UPSTAIRS, and it controls the light in the stairwell to the basement, and that ONE outlet.

How I found out... Wife was on treadmill, watching Dr. Phil, & I hit the switch accidentally upstairs... :rolleyes:

Ugh.

What a dork I am.

Ah, the lessons we learn. You're not a dork, you figured it out. Now you're a hero!!! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)