A little Help Please...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Druski

Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Nashville
Well to start off I am completely ignorant about the whole satellite deal. My question is we moved into a house that has a satellite installed. We currently use AT&T U-Verse as an internet and cable provider but our cable is only downstairs. I was wondering if there was anyway without stealing if we could use the dish that's already mounted to maybe get some channels upstairs? Thanks for the help!!!

Well to start off I am completely ignorant about the whole satellite deal. My question is we moved into a house that has a satellite installed. We currently use AT&T U-Verse as an internet and cable provider but our cable is only downstairs. I was wondering if there was anyway without stealing if we could use the dish that's already mounted to maybe get some channels upstairs? Thanks for the help!!!

Druski,

Do you know if it is a DirecTV or a DishNetwork dish? You can call either provider and they will hook you up or upgrade the dish as necessary if you want to subscribe to their service. If you are already a subscriber, you may be able to hook your receiver up to the existing dish if it is from the same provider and if the dish is compatible with your current package. Best to consult with a dealer for specifics.

You probably won't be able to use the dish for FTA purposes. The dish itself will likely be too small for FTA signals and the LNBFs and switching units may not be compatible with your FTA receiver.

Although some of their (DishNetwork and DirecTV) LNBFs are designed to pick up the Linear polarity signals (like Ku Band FTA sats use), most are intended for Circular polarity signals and that won't do you any good here.

If you don't want to subscribe to a service provider, I wouldn't mess with this dish to try to obtain FTA channels. You would be better off setting up a total FTA system and not trying to modify the existing dish/LNBF.

RADAR

Not if its a dish or directv dish, they aren't really big enough for reliable free to air channel reception, have the wrong electronics on them, and are really to small to use. Now, if you have something like an old Primestar tv dish, we can elaborate. The pay providers aren't giving anything away, maybe one or two preview channels if you have a spare receiver, but nothing worth hooking up a tv to see. Free to air uses weaker satellites than the pay=tv providers, so you need a bigger dish to get them. Why not split the cable tv signal and use the existing wiring (if it does exist-going from the upstairs) ?

Druski,
Common sense would dictate that you first ascertain which dish that you have and then post those findings for a clear path as to what you need to do!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)