A little help will be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxsax

Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Israel
Hi all,
Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, maybe it is the right forum and wrong topic, I just couldn't find a proper one so I decided to post here and perhaps a mod could move it to the proper place.
I've been reading about the satellite providers "FAP" or "FUP" or whatever they call it and I want to know how exactly do they do it?
I mean, what kind of product the use in order to apply those policies?
Is it an appliance? a software installed in a server? There must be some kind of device that checks what every client is doing and apply the policy based on activity.
So, does anybody by mistake know what are the products used by those providers to apply the FAP?
Thanks in advance and sorry for posting this here if improper

Fair Access Policy. Satellite internet providers (& sometimes others) decide to limit how much you can download. They redefine unlimited service to unlimited access, but limited volume.

They just monitor how much you dl and as you reach some often unspecified limit, they slow your connection, then eventually cut you off completely. No limiting hardware is involved, just software.

Fair Access Policy. Satellite internet providers (& sometimes others) decide to limit how much you can download. They redefine unlimited service to unlimited access, but limited volume.

They just monitor how much you dl and as you reach some often unspecified limit, they slow your connection, then eventually cut you off completely. No limiting hardware is involved, just software.

Yeah, I know what they do, I just don't think there are people monitoring and limiting it, there must be some software/hardware that does it automatically, I just was wondering if someone knows which kind of product is used for that, I mean products such as Allot, or Packeteer or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)