A little help with switches & LNBFs & configurations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mchargue

Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Folks;

I am looking to upgrade my current DishNetwork-based system. I currently have has 2 TVs in different locations with the following:
1 - 301
1 - 508
2 - Dish antennas (119/110 & 61.5) with enough LNBFs to make it all work.

What I would like to do is to use the existing cable runs, and replace my 301 with a 921. So, the final system would have 2 receivers; 1 921 & 508.

To do this, I think that I need to replace my current LNBFs with one Quad LNBF (for the 119/110 Dish antenna), and use an existing Dual LNBF in the 61.5 Dish antenna.

These, coupled with a DP44+, a power inserter & line separator whould allow me to connect the 921 (dual tuner) and 508 (single tuner) correctly.

Can someone check me on this, please?

:confused:

Thanks!

Pat

You're on the right track. Assuming your current LNBFs are Legacy, you have to replace them ALL. If they are DishPro, you do NOT have to replace ANY of them.

If you do need to replace them, a DishPro Twin and a DishPro Single will do the job - Quad and Dual not needed (but won't hurt).

The 2 outputs of the Twin and the one from the Single go into the DPP44, giving you 4 outputs of which you will use 2 - one for the 508, the other (via the DPP Separator) to the 921. Some people have reported trouble with putting the power inserter and separator on the same port (#1). Others have no trouble at all, but I'd say to run the 508 & power inserter off port #1 just to avoid an issue.

You don't NEED a DPP44. You can get away with a DP34. You only have 3 sats.

On the other hand, you can stay legacy, replace your Twin with 2 Duals, and run all 6 lines to a SW64.

I'd go with the DPTwin/DPSingle/DP34 config myself. If you need a DP44 because of superdish in the future, let Dish pay for it when they upgrade you.

You missed the part where he wants to use his existing cable runs - and thereby a single cable to the 921. ;)

Also, he didn't say he had a Twin.

Other than all that, you're on the money. :)

Under the DishMover program, I had two Dish antennas installed at my new house on 1/1/04; neither antenna is a SuperDish, but I believe that one of the antenna is a Dish500, (the 110/119) and DishPro LNBFs were used throughout.

Currently, the two Dish antennas (110/119 & 61.5) are connected to the 2 receivers through 2 SW21 switches. Dish tech support called this a 3-satellite/ 2 receiver setup.

On to the new system...

The 921 is a 2-channel receiver. It needs 2 'channels' of LNBF on whichever Dish antenna it is connected to; one for each of the two input channels on the receiver.

The 508 is a 1-channel receiver. It needs 1 'channel' of LNBF on whichever Dish antenna it is connetced to.

I would describe this as a 3-satellite/3 receiver setup.

As far as I can see, this means that I'll need 3 'channels' of LNBF in order to drive all of the 3 channels of the 2 receivers that I have. Also, at least a DP34 to combine the 110/119 & 61.1 antennas together.

As neither Dish antenna is a SuperDish, I can't mount a dual LNBF and a single LNBF on a single antenna to get 3 LNBF 'channels'. I think that this means I have to use a quad LNBF on each.

As regards using the DP44+ - I think that I'll just bite the bullet & run another cable and use a DP34. That way, I won't have to mess with power injectors, separators, and such.

Should ths work? Aer my asuptions correct? (that you can not mount 2 separate LNBFs on a single Dish antenna)

Tia;

Patrick

Welcome aboard mchargue!

Nice try - you've got part of it together, and if you've just reasoned it out for yourself, that's pretty darn good. However, you didn't hit the home run. :)

If you've got DishPro LNBFs, you do NOT have any "SW" switches. They'd be "DP" switches. It is VERY important to know which is which before we can figure out what you need to hook up your 921 (except if both current feeds can go to the same place, feel free to hook it up and start playing with it).

You do NOT say what your 3rd receiver is - I saw 508 and 921. I'll assume you're retiring it (or it never existed and you just have a spare feed). However, most likely, any way we configure this, you'll have a 4th satellite feed, so you can keep it.

Oh - and what you say as "3-satellite/3 receiver" is more accurately "3-satellite/3 tuner" as I know you understand - just a minor thing. :)

SuperDish is not relevant. It's how you get 3 birds ONLY when one of them is 105 or 121 because those 2 are special (FSS not DSS).

You can not use 2 Quads in the same system - and it'd be a waste anyway.

You've GOT to figure out just what's out there, and then we'll pick a switch, and possibly replace LNBFs. I just can't say at this point.

Go here for some pics that will help you figure out just what LNBFs you've got. We're looking for "DP" or not (just to confirm it) and Single/Dual, Twin, or Quad.

If you DO have DishPro, then no matter what, a DP34 will get-r-done - but a DPP44 might still be the better choice in case E* decides HD will move to 105, thereby requiring you (and me) to get a SuperDish. You do NOT have to use the Separator, but you DO have to use a power injector (no big deal there).

mchargue...

When you install the DP34 (which is all you need) you take both lines from the DPTwin into the top 2 ports, and the 3rd line comes from your second dish. If there's an extra port there forget about it, it's not needed.

You don't need another quad or a dual. The DP34 outputs to 4 receivers or tuners. 3 of those lines can go to your 921 and 508.

Dish doesn't make anything easy.

I just noticed I missed the little part where the OP said he's all DishPro.

SO - ignore everything that all of us have said about Legacy gear, and get a DP34 or DPP44 - based on what's been said (Separator, 4th bird might be needed someday).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)