A look at how the Big 12 was formed

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
A look at how the Big 12 was formed
TheMercury.com - K-State Sports Article
Unlike today, Texas was struggling in the early 90s. From 1991-93, the Longhorns posted a 16-16-1 record in football while failing to make a bowl game during that time. In addition, their basketball attendance was waning significantly. In its 1988 men's basketball season, Texas averaged just 4,028 fans per game in an arena that seated 16,231.

So Texas was seeking change.
AND
The first person to chime in: Bob Berdahl, the president of Texas.
"He said 'we've decided you should invite four schools: Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech," Wefald recalled.

Texas and A&M were considered key components to the expansion, while Baylor and Texas Tech had some advantages on its side.

Ann Richards, the governor of Texas at the time, was a Baylor graduate. Therefore, the Bears' move to the Big 12 would be supported.

Texas Tech also had leverage, as key members in both the House and the Senate of the Texas legislature had a strong affiliation with the Red Raiders.

Meanwhile, TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston would be left out of the mix.

In reference to the current Big 12 situation and OU's demands that Texas compromise on their network. Texas is a bully, has always been a bully, and will always be a bully. They are used to running things, even when their programs stink... illustrated in the story above.

big 12 is dead and texas is ruining the conference and pac-12 wants texas but wont take texas unless they agree to share revenue evenly whereas texas doesnt want to do that imo on what ive read and heard :)

I work with a guy who is a pretty big booster here at A&M. The things he has told me are crazy.

Texas (with their albatross, the LHN) was turned down by the Big Ten last week. They spent Monday going back and forth between than ACC and Pac 12. The ACC told them no Monday evening. The Pac 12 wanted to LHN to be turned into a regional outlet for the Pac 12 network. Texas wouldn't budge on revenue sharing, and were turned down.

OU president David Boren had been assured by Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott that they were in regardless of what Texas decided to do. That's why they were so open about their plans. They are tied to OSU, whom enough university presidents didn't think was academically worthy of the Pac 12 that they didn't receive the votes to get in. This left Boren with egg on his face, and I've got to believe it left Scott looking weak in NCAA circles. The funny thing is that OSU is actually ranked ahead of Oregon State in the latest US News and World Report rankings.
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

When it appeared that Texas and/or OU were going to the Pac 12, Missouri was extended an informal invitation to join the SEC. They have wanted to be in the Big Ten since before the Big 12 formed, but the SEC looked like a much better alternative than the sinking Big 12. However, with Texas and OU staying in the Big 12, the SEC offer is gone.

This leaves a Bovine 9 where OU, OSU, and Mizzou all want out. The conference might make it one more season. If it does, all of this mess starts again next summer.

That just about sums it up. The Big-12 needs to find a way to eject Texas and still keep their BCS conference status as well as the Fox and ESPN contract. Then Texas can keep their network as an independent, but won't share any bowl money with the Big-12, and won't get an automatic bowl bid. They could find themselves in the same situation that Notre Dame is in.

Last edited:
I'm all for giving bevo the boot. The Big 12 keeps their BCS status for another 2 years as long as there are at least 6 or 8 members. I can't remember which. The tv contracts are another story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts