A Mets fan's first trip to Shea/NY...any suggestions?

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Hey guys...

I know there are several Mets fans and many New Yorkers on the board. I'm a lifelong Mets fan, and have always wanted to go see a game at Shea. Never been to a MLB game before. (Been to several CLT Panthers NFL games, and bunches of CLT Hornets/Bobcats NBA games...and many NASCAR races)

I think I've finally decided to make the trip sometime this summer, probably come up to see a couple games on consecutive days, perhaps a day game followed by a night game. Looking at the schedule, that gives me a few options. Never been to NY before either...hopefully a southern boy can survive 2-3 days up there! :D

For anyone who's been to Shea, any advice would be appreciated...best seating areas, parking suggestions (or hotel suggestions close...err...safe enough to walk), how early to arrive, etc.

Thanks! :up

Be prepared to get there early. The new stadium is being constructed in the parking lot, so the number of parking spaces is considerably less that normal.

I have not been there this year, but from what I here, parking is a nightmare. There is not much to do around Shea, so it might be best to just plan on getting there a couple hours before gametime and hanging out around the stadium.

I am sure there are locals who will chime in this thread for you with more current info.

Shea si near LaGuardia Airport. There are hotels and motels nearby but walking may not be the best idea. Do a web search for hotels that are close but plan to take a shuttle bus or cab. Here isa sample web search

http://reservations.hotel-guides.us...s=2&num_beds=1&Go.x=96&Go.y=19&Go=Find+Hotels

Enjoy! I lived not too far away for awhile and while Shea is nota glamorous ballpark there is nothing that beats watching your team

Personally, leaving from Northern NJ is a disaster. I remember I went to a day game in July, took me literally only about 30 minutes, but in my last game in August, for a night game, took me TWO HOURS. NYC rush hour traffic goes beyond incredibly horrible. Only time it isn't bad is in the middle of the afternoon. And with the construction of the new stadium, leave really early. About Shea, it's a POS. Seats are uncomfortable and you're all packed together like crazy. I believe ticket prices went up this year. In the summer, they're pretty pricey. So try to plan a trip as soon as you can.

If you can afford it, your best bet would be to stay in Manhattan and take the Long Island Rail Road or the 7 train (www.mta.info ). Traffic and parking is a nightmare do to construction of the new stadium and getting there early to tailgate won't work because Shea is considered a City park which doesn't allow alcohol or open flames in the parking lot, which is heavily patroled by the NYPD.

I'm not putting NY down, never been there, but a lot of people saying how terrible it is there with construction, traffic and uncomfortable seats. plus no tailgating.:eek:

If you want to take a trip to see the Mets, just a suggestion, go see them at the best park in the majors. Pittsburgh, your almost guaranteed the Mets will win, plus if you see them Aug 15th and 16th there is an annual firework extravaganza that starts on the 16th with Styx live in concert after the game(It's a Pittsburgh thing:p ).

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=pit&m=8&y=2007

Click on the asterisk to see what they are giving away.

Pittsburgh is a safer city than NY, check different hotels, I suggest Sheraton Station Square Hotel, plenty of restaurants and shopping, you can take the Gateway clipper to the game, plus the subway stops at Station square and see other parts of the city.:D

http://pittsburgh.about.com/gi/dyna...st=&fromSearch=22XX&bn=sheraton&rcc=SI&rac=SI

Here is a couple pictures of the park.

pncparkkk5.jpg

stadepncob9.jpg

Remember, I'm not saying NY is bad, I'm just making a different suggestion.

Thanks for all the tips. Cybok...you're not the first to suggest seeing them elsewhere (PNC does look nice though)...even on the Mets.com message board, folks say Shea is a dump. Living as close to Atlanta Brave land, everyone here just keeps asking why I don't just go see them in Atlanta, but it wouldn't be the same. Even if Shea is terrible, I've been watching my Mets on TV at Shea since I was 10 years old and I'd just like to experience it in person once before it is torn down.

Well...to update everyone...I'm going to make the trip to Shea, but not quite as big of a trip as I originally planned. My Dad's had some medical problems since I dreamed this up, so he won't be able to tag along as originally planned, so I just going to make a day trip up. Flying in to arrive around 8AM @ LaGuardia on 7/26, catch the day game vs. the Pirates, then depart @ 7:30 to fly home. Hopefully I'll get to the park in time for BP, if they have any that day. If weather cooperates, and they dont play 20 innings, I think I should be OK, time-wise. Just didnt really want to spend a fortune to spend the night if just me.

Another couple questions for the New Yorkers, though...If the game ended early enough, how much time in an afternoon would it take to make a run to see Times Square (just drive through) and get back to the airport from Shea? Is that something doable in a couple hours, or would traffic be too bad? Lastly...how bad is it getting in and out of LaGuardia? Flight leaves at 7:35 coming home...is two hours lead time sufficient?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts