A new DIRECTV Genie DVR coming soon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carlos MineBoi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
La Quinta
I heard from someone from here that a new DIRECTV Genie HD-DVR (no, I do not mean the Gemini) would be released sometime in June or July if it's real. It's said to have Google Voice Remotes (maybe the same one from the Gemini) and 10 tuners. Maybe it might be an HS-27 (maybe the Genie 2.5), or an entirely new Genie HD-DVR. Is this real, or just speculation?

I doubt AT&T has allowed any such investments / developments for years. I think they were killed off before AT&T.

There appears to be little return on investment for such a rapidly shrinking business.

Reactions: John2021
The only new product (at least) coming is an H26K, which will allow commercial bars and restaurants to access 4K programming without a C61K/Gemini.
Other than that, I am not aware of such a ‘Genie 2.5’.

It is possible they might make a new Genie if a redesign allows making it cheaper than the current model. They are already on the second rev of HS17 so I would think a third HS17 rev is more likely.

If there is a new model with a new name I'd say it is still for cost reasons. You won't see any new features, so other than perhaps being a little faster you wouldn't notice any difference between them.

Even making a cheaper model seems unlikely because so long as they keep losing subscribers they will have plenty of refurbished HS17 and HR54 available and won't need to manufacture much in the way of new equipment.

Reactions: Carlos MineBoi
I heard from someone from here that a new DIRECTV Genie HD-DVR (no, I do not mean the Gemini) would be released sometime in June or July if it's real. It's said to have Google Voice Remotes (maybe the same one from the Gemini) and 10 tuners. Maybe it might be an HS-27 (maybe the Genie 2.5), or an entirely new Genie HD-DVR. Is this real, or just speculation?
You posted the same crap on Reddit. There is nothing coming

Reactions: navychop
It is possible they might make a new Genie if a redesign allows making it cheaper than the current model. They are already on the second rev of HS17 so I would think a third HS17 rev is more likely.

If there is a new model with a new name I'd say it is still for cost reasons. You won't see any new features, so other than perhaps being a little faster you wouldn't notice any difference between them.

Even making a cheaper model seems unlikely because so long as they keep losing subscribers they will have plenty of refurbished HS17 and HR54 available and won't need to manufacture much in the way of new equipment.
Let’s hope this revision fixes all of the Genie 2 issues and bugs. It should also have the same UI as the Gemini, meaning there will be apps, and that the Gemini Voice Remote is included.

If they also do a third HR54 revision (HR54R2), they should change the UI to be the same one as the Gemini (in other words, apps are included in the HR54R2), allow 4K over HDMI without the need of a C61K, update the box design, and include the Gemini Voice Remote.

Even the UI a change and inclusion of apps and the Gemini Voice Remote should go out to the Genie Mini’s (C61, C61W, and C61K)

I hope they get around to revision of those 2 and UI changes and Gemini Voice Remote inclusion, assuming the HR54 and HS17 ever happen.

Let’s hope this revision fixes all of the Genie 2 issues and bugs. It should also have the same UI as the Gemini, meaning there will be apps, and that the Gemini Voice Remote is included.

If they also do a third HR54 revision (HR54R2), they should change the UI to be the same one as the Gemini (in other words, apps are included in the HR54R2), allow 4K over HDMI without the need of a C61K, update the box design, and include the Gemini Voice Remote.

Even the UI a change and inclusion of apps and the Gemini Voice Remote should go out to the Genie Mini’s (C61, C61W, and C61K)

I hope they get around to revision of those 2 and UI changes and Gemini Voice Remote inclusion, assuming the HR54 and HS17 ever happen.
The last revision replaced a esata port with a USB 3.0 port. If there is another revision it will be to save costs. Not add anything remotely to what your talking about

the one thing i could see that might happen is a direct and dish merger to keep em going longer

They could do an hr 54 that does 4k for people with 1 tv.. but it's doubtful they will
Maybe also change the UI to be the same as the Gemini so it can support streaming apps, change the front of the box and modify it to have the 2021 DIRECTV logo, and also include the Google Assistant Voice Remote from the Gemini instead of the normal Genie remote. In fact, for this revision, Gemini shouldn’t need to require 2 or more active Genie Mini’s. It should be available to get as a client.

As far as 4K, it should be output over HDMI without the need of a 4K Genie Mini (C61K). It can be purchased separately if wanted to be used for another 4K TV.

If they can, add more tuners, like probably up to 10 or 16.

This should be the HR54R2 (second HR54 revision).

Hope springs eternal.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Didn't know how but I always had a feeling
I was gonna be that one in a million
Always had high, high hopes
Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing
Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
Always had high, high hopes
Didn't know how but I always had a feeling
I was gonna be that one in a million
Always had high, high hopes (high, high hopes)

And make them give Everyone thier Money back for the Years and Years of having to play extra for the ability to do 4k ( C61k ) It may no be alot, but $5-6 a month for each box, when the thing should have been part of the HR54 in the first place .
I know the HR54 came out before the C61k, but they never should have Charged extra for it.

Of course None of this will Ever happen ....

Sadly, you’re right, because DIRECTV kinda made the Gemini so it could start moving people to DIRECTV Stream
I just returned to work after being retired for 4 years, for a company where per sub fees are paid to and that is what my first report is about, the loss of per sub fees, estimated up to 2028.

From the data that is available to me, no one is moving to Stream and YTTV has more then 4 times the number of subscribers then Stream has.

Also surprised by how many subscribers Uverse still has, higher number then I thought, mostly because of multi-dwellings where Uverse is the only option.

I just returned to work after being retired for 4 years, for a company where per sub fees are paid to and that is what my first report is about, the loss of per sub fees, estimated up to 2028.

From the data that is available to me, no one is moving to Stream and YTTV has more then 4 times the number of subscribers then Stream has.

Also surprised by how many subscribers Uverse still has, higher number then I thought, mostly because of multi-dwellings where Uverse is the only option.
You're right, but aside from the Gemini, DIRECTV might no longer make new equipment

Reactions: navychop
And make them give Everyone thier Money back for the Years and Years of having to play extra for the ability to do 4k ( C61k ) It may no be alot, but $5-6 a month for each box, when the thing should have been part of the HR54 in the first place .
I know the HR54 came out before the C61k, but they never should have Charged extra for it.

Of course None of this will Ever happen ....
Sadly, you're right

You're right, but aside from the Gemini, DIRECTV might no longer make new equipment
‘duh.

They also announced they are no longer building /launching new Satellites.

Reactions: John2021
Status
Please reply by conversation.