A new quirk on my 811

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I have not seen this before nor have I seen anyone post about it. This morning on the SD channels, they were all very blurry. Looked like a convergence problem. I checked my ota's and the TV was fine. Checking the 811 HD channels, they were fine but going back to the SD channels, they were still very bad. Well, did the "weekly reboot" and it cleared it up. Still have the P2.82 upgrade. Anyone else seen this before?

811 sd channels

I have a dish 811 and the hd channels look great, the dish 811 is run to my tv via dvi. The hd channels look fantastic but my sd channels are not that great. I actually get a better picture on the sd channels with a composite connection. Can this be right. I know the 811 is supposed to upconvert with the dvi connection but the composite looks a lot better. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Harry, I did have that happen one time. It was after a recent sw release. Have not seen it since. I didn't reboot, just went into the HDTV setup and switched resolutions back and forth a couple of times.

mathius8 said:
I have a dish 811 and the hd channels look great, the dish 811 is run to my tv via dvi. The hd channels look fantastic but my sd channels are not that great. I actually get a better picture on the sd channels with a composite connection. Can this be right. I know the 811 is supposed to upconvert with the dvi connection but the composite looks a lot better. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same setup and agree. The sports can get pretty bad, even on ESPNHD if they are upconverting. I am too lazy to hook up a direct SD connection to my TV, I can watch it via my VCR output if need be.

AcuraCL said:
Harry, I did have that happen one time. It was after a recent sw release. Have not seen it since. I didn't reboot, just went into the HDTV setup and switched resolutions back and forth a couple of times.

That was really strange. I freaked at first as I thought my TV went on the fritz! :shocked

Same here, watching OTA HDTV (811) one night and switched to Dish locals and was way out of focus. Used it as a good "demo" for my wife to show her how much better this HD can be, she just does'nt get it!

rangersjay99 said:
Same here, watching OTA HDTV (811) one night and switched to Dish locals and was way out of focus. Used it as a good "demo" for my wife to show her how much better this HD can be, she just does'nt get it!

Mine has actually come around in appreciating HD but is still satisfied with SD. Sigh.... :( Most women just don't understand, must be a guy thing... :no

Harry said:
That was really strange. I freaked at first as I thought my TV went on the fritz! :shocked
Hah. I thought "Woohoo, the 811 is finally busted and I'll get a new one !!!"

Anyway, it was freaky.

Here's something else freaky. I have noticed that the BSOD is digital only. I don't know if this has been mentioned. Only digital channels don't come in when the BSOD hits. Analog channels continue to tune and display fine.

By the time the 811 is fixed, we'll be on the next generation "not ready for prime time" box ....

I'm connected to my DLP TV via component cables because I truly believe that the picture looks better than via the DVI-HDMI alternative I have on my set. When I made the switch I noticed that my analog SD OTA channels suddenly looked much better as well and did not suffer the same ills I see decribed here. In fact, SD looks darn good! Perhaps the DVI port on the 811 simply does not handle analog properly.

(Can it be that the 811 has a problem???? is is POSSIBLE?????)

Moman19 said:
I'm connected to my DLP TV via component cables because I truly believe that the picture looks better than via the DVI-HDMI alternative I have on my set. When I made the switch I noticed that my analog SD OTA channels suddenly looked much better as well and did not suffer the same ills I see decribed here. In fact, SD looks darn good! Perhaps the DVI port on the 811 simply does not handle analog properly.

I'll try that this weekend.

Moman19 said:

Interesting :confused: I will also give it a try this weekend

This also happens under P281. If you see it happen again, try going into DishHome and look at how mucked up the graphics are. Text is okay. It's like the MPEG decoder flips even and odd pixels or something; diagonal lines get very stair-stepped. The one-fingered-salute (i.e., hold the power button in for ten-fifteen seconds) fixes the problem.

I had this problem yesterday. If I switch the 811 to rca jacks the picture is much clearer than if it's in conponent mode.
I'm at the point where I'm embarrased to own this thing.

spanky said:
I had this problem yesterday. If I switch the 811 to rca jacks the picture is much clearer than if it's in conponent mode.
I'm at the point where I'm embarrased to own this thing.

I cancelled an installation to switch over to Comcast (from Dish) in my area (ostensibly to get more HD and the HD PVR) when I found *so many* complaints about the lousy PQ on non-HD channels from the Motorola box that I couldn't ignore them. Most said the PQ was better if the SD channels came in directly to the set and bypassed the Motorola box.

In considering VOOM (still after that HD stuff :) ) I hear the same thing about the PQ on SD channels (as oppossed to the HD channels).

Somehow I don't think this is a problem unique to the 811 box; I run mine on component cables all the time and can't really tell the difference between the 811 PQ (on SD channels) and the PQ from our 501 with the s-video cable on the same channels. There's no doubt the HD channels are better but I don't consider my SD channels 'horrid' (I'm either lucky or used to the lousy PQ :D ). In another decade or so this should all be ironed out ;) .

lblampman said:
I cancelled an installation to switch over to Comcast (from Dish) in my area (ostensibly to get more HD and the HD PVR) when I found *so many* complaints about the lousy PQ on non-HD channels from the Motorola box that I couldn't ignore them. Most said the PQ was better if the SD channels came in directly to the set and bypassed the Motorola box. .
I added Comcast basic plus the HD tuner from Motorola to get the locals in HD in the SF bay area, I live too far to get reliable OTA so far, and besides getting great HD locals, the SD that I have watched are also better than the DISH locals. The installer said that I am lucky where I live as I get the cable from a brand new installation. I guess it does matter where you live when it comes to cable.
You might want to try adding the basics from your cable co to see for yourself.
My cost per month for this is $20 total.
Brian in Santa Rosa, CA

Harry said:
I have not seen this before nor have I seen anyone post about it. This morning on the SD channels, they were all very blurry. Looked like a convergence problem. I checked my ota's and the TV was fine. Checking the 811 HD channels, they were fine but going back to the SD channels, they were still very bad. Well, did the "weekly reboot" and it cleared it up. Still have the P2.82 upgrade. Anyone else seen this before?

Saw it last night for the 1st time. All of the SD channels went blurry, did a reset & back to normal. Weird. And just when I thought the SD channels were looking better ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)