A new Star Trek series will premiere in 2017

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
I guess the real question is if this show will ever exist or is it simply vaporware designed to create interest in a product that probably has near zero sales at the moment.... What the subscriber rate is for CBS total access?

It has a name... Star Trek : Discovery, or STD, for short. The 2nd teaser features one ugly ship which looks like the rejected Star Trek Phase II ( which became The Motion Picture ) done by Ralph McQuarrie. I'm still going to at least check out the pilot just to see if there is a reasoning behind such a butt-ugly ship design. If I had to guess, this will take place somewhere between 2210 and 2230 based on the registry number NCC-1031, which is about 60 years after Archer and 35 years before Kirk. There is nothing canon in the original timeline between 2161 and 2245.

2nd Teaser...

It has a name... Star Trek : Discovery, or STD, for short. The 2nd teaser features one ugly ship which looks like the rejected Star Trek Phase II ( which became The Motion Picture ) done by Ralph McQuarrie. I'm still going to at least check out the pilot just to see if there is a reasoning behind such a butt-ugly ship design. If I had to guess, this will take place somewhere between 2210 and 2230 based on the registry number NCC-1031, which is about 60 years after Archer and 35 years before Kirk. There is nothing canon in the original timeline between 2161 and 2245.

2nd Teaser...

The ship looks like some weird hybrid of federation and Klingon design.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but Discovery takes place in the Prime Timeline (not the post-2009 rebooted Abramsverse/Kelvin timeline).

Also, Bell has secured the television airing rights for Discovery, along with renewing the airing rights to all 5 previous Star Trek TV series with CBS.

Apparently, the previous Star Trek series will return to SPACE Channel's TV schedule in September.

In January, the first episode of Discovery will air simultaneously on CBS and CTV on network television. After that, all subsequent episodes of Star Trek Discovery will premiere weekly on SPACE Channel, and then sometime after that, all of the episodes will be made available to stream online anytime via Bell's CraveTV SVOD service, similar to CBS All Access.

Though I hate Bell with a passion, I do have to give them credit for at least having enough sense to air Discovery on SPACE, instead of forcing CBS All Access or Netflix on everyone.

So... if you don't want to sign up for All Access, you don't have to now. :D

Some other points as well. There are 13 episodes in Discovery's first season (roughly half that of previous Trek TV series, which used to be 20-26 episodes per season). Also, Bryan said there's no definitive time frame per episode like there usually is for network television (i.e. one episode could be 44 minutes long, another could be 56). The 2nd teaser footage video that jevans64 posted above, showcasing the Discovery leaving some kind of asteroid space dock -- apparently it was rough test footage that CBS put together in just 3 weeks. People were complaining that the CGI reminded them of Babylon 5 or some other pre-1990 sci-fi series, but CBS has confirmed the final product will be polished up, and that perhaps even the ship design itself may change by the time the series airs.

Biggest bone of contention I have with Discovery is that if the speculation is accurate, and the show does take place between Enterprise and The Original Series, then it's once again another prequel series. Last time they tried a prequel (Enterprise), it didn't go over so well, and it was cancelled after just 4 seasons (TNG, DS9 and VOY all lasted 7 seasons by comparison). To add insult to injury, the Enterprise series finale basically ticked off 90% of the Trek fan-base. The other problem with doing a prequel is that once again, you're limited in storyline choices because of having to adhere to canon which applies to events that already take place in the future. I don't understand why they wouldn't just go ahead with a new series post-Nemesis, because then the writers would be open to creating any story they wanted, without worrying if it conflicted with past or future events in the other 5 Trek series.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but Discovery takes place in the Prime Timeline (not the post-2009 rebooted Abramsverse/Kelvin timeline).

Also, Bell has secured the television airing rights for Discovery, along with renewing the airing rights to all 5 previous Star Trek TV series with CBS.

Apparently, the previous Star Trek series will return to SPACE Channel's TV schedule in September.

In January, the first episode of Discovery will air simultaneously on CBS and CTV on network television. After that, all subsequent episodes of Star Trek Discovery will premiere weekly on SPACE Channel, and then sometime after that, all of the episodes will be made available to stream online anytime via Bell's CraveTV SVOD service, similar to CBS All Access.

Though I hate Bell with a passion, I do have to give them credit for at least having enough sense to air Discovery on SPACE, instead of forcing CBS All Access or Netflix on everyone.

So... if you don't want to sign up for All Access, you don't have to now. :D

Some other points as well. There are 13 episodes in Discovery's first season (roughly half that of previous Trek TV series, which used to be 20-26 episodes per season). Also, Bryan said there's no definitive time frame per episode like there usually is for network television (i.e. one episode could be 44 minutes long, another could be 56). The 2nd teaser footage video that jevans64 posted above, showcasing the Discovery leaving some kind of asteroid space dock -- apparently it was rough test footage that CBS put together in just 3 weeks. People were complaining that the CGI reminded them of Babylon 5 or some other pre-1990 sci-fi series, but CBS has confirmed the final product will be polished up, and that perhaps even the ship design itself may change by the time the series airs.

Biggest bone of contention I have with Discovery is that if the speculation is accurate, and the show does take place between Enterprise and The Original Series, then it's once again another prequel series. Last time they tried a prequel (Enterprise), it didn't go over so well, and it was cancelled after just 4 seasons (TNG, DS9 and VOY all lasted 7 seasons by comparison). To add insult to injury, the Enterprise series finale basically ticked off 90% of the Trek fan-base. The other problem with doing a prequel is that once again, you're limited in storyline choices because of having to adhere to canon which applies to events that already take place in the future. I don't understand why they wouldn't just go ahead with a new series post-Nemesis, because then the writers would be open to creating any story they wanted, without worrying if it conflicted with past or future events in the other 5 Trek series.

Just to split hairs... If it predates TOS, then technically it is part of both the prime universe and the 2009 parallel universe as it predates the point of divergence.

Evidently the new show will be 10 years before TOS.

Lots of chances for cannon issues that will drive hard core trekkies crazy :D

Here' an article with some new details of the upcoming series.

http://www.jacksonprogress-argus.co...cle_4a8f2208-409c-50e5-90c3-f956e34d26dd.html

Bryan Fuller can’t tell us everything about “Star Trek Discovery.” But he spilled quite a lot when he sat down recently with TV critics meeting in Los Angeles.

Fuller, who already has 22 writing credits on “Star Trek” series including “Deep Space Nine” and “Voyager,” is developing “Discovery” for CBS along with Alex Kurtzman (“Sleepy Hollow”). The 13-episode series will debut on the network in January, and then move to subscription service CBS All Access.

“Discovery” will be set in the Prime universe, about 10 years before Capt. James T. Kirk’s five-year mission in the original “Star Trek.”

(“The correct designations according to the internet now are the Kelvin Universe, which is the J.J. Abrams universe, and the Prime Universe,” Fuller explained.)

The time bridges the gap between the original series and “Enterprise,” and also allows Fuller and his team to “redefine the visual style of ‘Star Trek,’” to modernize “not only the way we’re telling stories, but the way you’re seeing aliens in this environment,” he said.

“That is something that I’d been dying to do since I worked on ‘Star Trek’ the first time.”

“We’re much closer to Kirk’s time than to ‘Enterprise,’ so we get to play with all that iconography.” But no, “Discovery” won’t be set during the Romulan War, Fuller told one persistent questioner. “Close, but no banana.”

Casting is just getting started, but Fuller, whose credits include “Dead Like Me,” “Pushing Daisies” and “Hannibal,” confirmed that the lead character will be female and also human rather than alien. She won’t be a captain, though.

Describing her rank as “lieutenant commander with caveats,” he said, “We’ve seen six series now from captains’ points of view, and to see a character from a different perspective on a starship, who has a different dynamic relationship with the captain, with subordinates, felt like it was going to give us richer context.”

In creating the character, “I’ve talked extensively with Mae Jemison, who is the first black woman in space, and it was interesting to send her outlines and get her perspective of what it’s like for a woman in the sciences now,” Fuller said.

The seven or so lead characters in the ensemble will be as diverse as “Star Trek,” which teamed a Russian, a Vulcan and a black woman, has always been, Fuller said. “We’re absolutely about continuing that tradition.” There will also be a gay character.

“Star Trek Discovery” will also have robots and many aliens, and possibly even alien-human sex, since CBS All Access won’t fall under the network’s Standards and Practices rules. “Why do you think we call it STD?” Fuller joked.

The fact that, after a tease, “Star Trek Discovery” will air on a subscription service is likely to be a sore spot with viewers, especially those who are already paying for CBS via a cable or satellite provider.

All Access, which currently costs $5.99 a month and streams on most devices, will also air the planned spin-off of “The Good Wife,” starring Christine Baranski and Cush Jumbo. A special fall season of “Big Brother” will air only on All Access.

“The internet, and essentially broadband connectivity, is ubiquitous today in our country,” Marc DeBevoise, president and COO of CBS Interactive, said before introducing Fuller. “Mobile and connected devices are everywhere, and people of all ages are watching a ton of video across those devices.”

At least 65 percent of U.S. households now have a streaming device connected to a television set, and 74 percent of those homes have more than one,” DeBevoise said, calling the growth massive. Of homes with broadband internet access, 60 percent subscribe to a streaming video service, and 40 percent pay for more than one, he said.

CBS All Access is “our way of delivering the CBS television network and all of its incredible assets, plus even more from our library, directly to subscribers over the internet,” DeBevoise said. “It’s not in competition with or in some way contradictory to our network television model or brand” and doesn’t even endanger local affiliate stations, because subscribers get the feed from those stations.

Although cord-cutters, who have given up cable or satellite and get programming other ways, are the largest potential subscriber base for CBS All Access, DeBevoise clearly hopes proprietary original programming will lead others to pay for the service.

“It’s a very broad audience track in ‘Star Trek,’ but you may think of it as more male or maybe slightly older. The same thing may be true with ‘The Good Wife,’ but a different demo,” he said. “You can see us sort of testing the waters in each of these areas and potentially doubling down in all of them or some of them or others as we grow the service going forward.”

^^^ Yes. This is looking more and more like being real close to the plot of Axanar and would explain why CBS shut down the fan productions. The Enterprise would have already been launched and commanded by either April or Pike. Garth of Izar would be doing what he does best instead of rotting in a mental institution too. I'm just wondering whether CBS would be low enough to actually plant this during the Four Years War, like Axanar. The Ares was a much better-looking ship than the Discovery.