Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Over the past few days I have been getting emails and PM's asking me why they have to change their SatelliteGuys passwords.

Earlier this year we have started requiring members change their passwords once every 180 days, we did this as a number of our members are sharing things like account numbers, phone numbers, pin numbers and other information with some of the companies that have their employees here to help out our members such as the DISH "DIRT" Team. Since some of these members give out sensitive information we want to remind members to keep their accounts safe and secure by changing their password.

With that said we also understand that this is a forum, and many people may not want to change their password and we are 100% ok with this as well, which is why you can change your password to the same password. :) This will allow you to keep using the password you are use to.

Another question we have been getting is if we are doing this password change again because of any security problems here on the site. The answer to that is a big fat NO. SatelliteGuys has partnered with Sucuri to lock down and secure our servers. Sucuri also constantly scans our servers and also monitors all the major security sites and protects us from new exploits. You can always check our security status by going to https://monitor11.sucuri.net/verify.php?r=9ccd86e152b123964e07bd0f2f7aa056f38f08eb7d or by clicking on the Sucuri logo at the bottom of every page.

Here at SatelliteGuys we want everyone to browse securely, however we understand that your account is just that... your's so we give you the option to secure it as YOU see fit. It's just another reason why SatelliteGuys is America's #1 Satellite Discussion Forum!

It is great to hear that you're actively pursuing security for your users and even greater to hear how much importance is placed on it.

I changed my password to the same password. I have over a hundred passwords most the same. If I had to use a different password for every site I could not remember all of them. I am not a paranoid security nut.

that's why the option is there to just use the same password you had before :)

I changed my password to the same password. I have over a hundred passwords most the same. If I had to use a different password for every site I could not remember all of them. I am not a paranoid security nut.

You might consider modifying your password based on the site name. That way if a site you use is hacked and all the login/password combinations are stolen it will not work on other sites. A human could probably figure out that super!secretSG might mean that super!secret is the base password and SG was added for "Satellite Guys". But, who is going to look through thousands/millions of passwords for patterns. Essentially they just add the login/password to their script database to be tested against every other site.

I've had the same pw since day 1. Never received a notice to change it. Should I be concerned?

You might consider modifying your password based on the site name. That way if a site you use is hacked and all the login/password combinations are stolen it will not work on other sites. A human could probably figure out that super!secretSG might mean that super!secret is the base password and SG was added for "Satellite Guys". But, who is going to look through thousands/millions of passwords for patterns. Essentially they just add the login/password to their script database to be tested against every other site.

If you listen too all of these security nuts saying that you can get hacked. I run a strong antivirus and have a hardwired firewall though my router and never has anyone taking control of my PC. I can't even remember half of my passwords now. If I had to remember a different one for every account I would go nuts. I hate passwords more than anything. These security nuts need to take a hike off a pier.

If you listen too all of these security nuts saying that you can get hacked. I run a strong antivirus and have a hardwired firewall though my router and never has anyone taking control of my PC. I can't even remember half of my passwords now. If I had to remember a different one for every account I would go nuts. I hate passwords more than anything. These security nuts need to take a hike off a pier.

If it wasn't for google chrome I would be nuts. :eek:

I use RoboForm and automatically back it up daily to a second hard drive and a couple times a year to a CD or a flash drive.

I have also never been asked to change my password. I changed the password on the other sites that I visit though which is different than the one I use on this one.

I have about 4 base passwords that have different variations, so that if someone were to figure out one of them, my entire online "life" isn't compromised. For some though I need to write them down and have them saved in a text file. However, I have the logins and passwords written in a "code" so to speak so if someone were to see it, they wouldn't have obvious access.

My new password has a "code" as well that does not spell anything out. First time I have made a password a "code" like that. I can make some changes to it since it has numbers and letters if need be perhaps only change just the letters or numbers in the code so that it is not hard to remember a new "code".

I have 5 base passwords and salt them according to sites. I pick the base password on how secure I think the site is. IE I need a password to buy something, and may not even trust them with my real email to banking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts